Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: chronic pain back problem

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Hi galeforce that's great news.
    Just a few tips.

No doubt they'll tell you that it's 'nil by mouth' before you turn up. Remember to take your mobile charger, slippers and dressing gown plus 'ear plugs' - it's usually a hive of activity in these wards at night and it's the only way you'll get any sleep.

After the operation you'll feel pain free totally! This will be due to the anaesthetic that's still in your blood. Take a note of the date and who is prime minister for when you're asked a few questions when coming around after the operation.

Remember, they won't let you if there's nobody at home to look after you for a few days. They will only let you home after the doctors round, visit by physio to make sure you can walk with a stick or crutch. The last thing will be waiting for prescriptions that can take ages.

They will lay on an ambulance ferry service but if you want to get home quickly then ask a friend for a lift or just get a taxi.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the tips Lighttouch. I've been in hospital a couple of times before and can usually cope with the noise.

I've got my flatmate to help me when i get home. I remember when i first got the neuropathy that the physios came round to help me walk and to try and get up stairs. I presume they will do the same thing.

Yeah, i've been told not to eat or drink after midnight which won't be a problem as i'll be in bed and i don't usually eat breakfast. they've also told me to try not smoke in the morning. I'm presuming that also means e-cigs as well. I'm taking an e-cig with me so i can have a few naughty puffs in the toilet.

I'm hoping they will give me meds to take home because they gave me nothing for the neuropathy and i had to see my GP to get pain relief.

Again i'm hoping they will give me hospital transport home. I got it with my neuropathy in 2008. but when i had pneumonia in 2007 they were going to discharge me at 9pm and when i told them i would have to walk home, a journey that on a good day would take 40mins, they said, well you can walk to the shop (which was less than 100m from my ward which i stuggled to get to). Eventually they did give me transport after i said i wouldn't leave unless they did.

Quote Originally Posted by rich-ward View Post
    Your GP surgery might have contact details for the transport service?

My surgery gave me details when I had to organise hospital transport for myself, which in the end I did'nt need.
    Thanks rich-ward. Its lucky i have a doctors appointment today. Just think because its so soon, and with the weekend, it will be hard to get.

I'm not too bothered if i have to get a bus. There'd one at 6:10 which will be perfect as i'm only 20mins away and the traffic shouldn't be too busy.

As long as i get the transport home i'll be happy.

Just another thing about what lighttouch said, I'm definitely taking my mobile charger. I've got games on it that will keep me occupied but they drain my battery. Spend most of the day playing computer games. Don't know what i'd do without them as they take my mind off the pain as they occupy my mind which also help with my depression, and you can get some for £5-£10.

Good luck with the operation, don't let them boot you out until you feel ready especially when the pain releif leaves your system.

Bx

Hi Galeforce good luck on Monday will be thinking of you
    Sending you a very gentle hug xx

so will I, good luck xx

hi gale just got back here and managed to some how get through trying to cope with bad pain, tramadol came to my rescue but not too keen on the side effects but at least something better than nothing. just wasn't expecting to go away then this happened and worse not been away in a long time.

if it is bugs then from experience it can cause all sorts of problems one is back pain lower flank area.

going to drop a sample to doctors next week to rule out any bugs as i had just been in hospital with catheter change and all ways pick something up.

any way gale i will wish you all the best and success for the operation, tc and hugs,

mikey

Thanks to everyone for your words of support.

Blastoff, don't worry, i won't leave till I'm ready, don't mind standing my ground. They gave me some leaflets and one was about pain relief and it tells you to always tell them when you're in pain and they will sort it out. They would rather stop it before it gets too bad.

Hope you get your Pain sorted Mikey. Its bad enough having our usual day to day problems and the pain that goes with it, without having extra.

Its weird but I'm actually looking forward to it. I've never had a general anaesthetic before.

I had my first general a few years back it was weird I woke up to a woman taking my observations I seemingly was quite long in the recovery bay which is where you will be taken until the consultant finds you fit for return to ward where your general ward nurse/student will do 15/30 mins observations...at this point you will still be receiving oxygen then when you are fully back to sorts the sharks come in (physios) there job is to make sure your able to do things safely and they will report back to the MDT where they will give you a discharge time/day. Also advice is make sure they assess you for blood clot risks I wasn't and left with a DVT, usually if your in overnight and discharged the next day they have to keep a bed open for you for a certain amount of time incase of any problems which hopefully won't happen 😊

If you have a tablet or kindle that will keep you amused and also I was allowed to use these new E CIGs on the ward just ask the charge nurse, as light touch mentions you will likely have to wait for your discharge letter and prescription which could take 2/3 hours but you may be transferred to a discharge lounge by this point.

I wish you luck and best wishes for recovery 😊

Hi everyone. Just to let you all know im still in hospital, trying to use one of their machines. Apparently the disk was heavily calcified and spinal fluid ended up leaking. Im on flat bed rest for 3 days and im getting 60mg Oramorph.

Must be the noisiest ward i've been on as the bins are just below the window.

Really hoping i can get discharged on Friday as there's none on Saturday due to the tour de france.

Better get going as my arms aching, having to write this on my back with the screen above, especially as it keeps repeating letters or leaving them out.

Galeforce, good to hear that your operation is over and we'll cross our fingers for you.

Well, being in Leeds you're at the hub of the start of the Tour de France starting on Thursday night at the new Leeds arena.

You don't want to be in hospital at the weekend as hardly any staff are about.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.