Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: chronic pain back problem

chronic pain back problem

Well on holiday to see family and be blown back pain is chronic so painful can hardly lay down.

Took codeine with not much joy next will be tramadol but not keen feel down as I type this.

Hoping the pain relief will kick in, mean time looking for suggestions. Also how others cope if this has happened to them. On holiday.

Mike

Super Moderator
    Just a quick reminder that it is not a good idea for members to tell other members what medication to take. Everyone has different tolerances and may be taking different combinations of tablets that could interact with each other.

It's really helpful to share experiences and suggestions, members can discuss these with their own health care professionals. Please do not tell other members what to take.

Hi Mike,

If you are having muscular pain then go and see a massage therapist - ideally Swedish or Sports massage - I have been having a weekly massage for 3yrs and the relief has kept me in full time employment.

If it's skeletal pain then an Osteopath or Chiropractor is good, the former is usually better than the latter.

Hope you find relief soon.

That's another point Paul. I also see a sports physio who lives local. I nip around in shorts and a t-shirt and she strips me to my shorts. We then have a god battle where she stretches my muscles in my calves, back and shoulders. You feel like you've been put trough the wringer bout it's worth every penny.

I also go to a sports physio every so often for muscle stretching and massage on my thigh, agony whilst he massages and stretches but the resultant pain relief and monies paid is well worth it.

mikeydt1 ~ looked at your profile and can't see why it is you suffer this back pain. Would say go back to GP, insist on seeing Orthopedics, and they will advise on Physio and/or pain relief.
    I am prescribed co-codamol for pain (mostly back but also knees and shoulder) but you won't get that or tramadol over the counter.
    It is a bugger to deal with and mostly it helps to avoid things that aggravate it.

I have been diagnosed with having 3 slipped disks and was referred to a Physio. When i went to see her she said she had seen my notes and wanted to look at my scans.

She rang me back 3 weeks ago to say that one of the disk bulges is massive and she doesn't know how long i've managed to cope so well, so far, especially with my disabilities and she was referring me to the hospital.

I received my appointment on Friday for this Thursday with a spinal surgeon and says that if it is decided i will be having an operation i need to have a pre assessment and could be there for at least 5 hours.

Has anyone had an operation like this? I'm wondering what the recovery is like, how long before things were better, whether they had to stay in hospital or were discharged quickly and whether they were given any pain relief, as at the moment my GP will give me nothing stronger than Diclofenac, which is useless.

Sorry Mikey for jumping on your thread. I completely understand how your feeling. Especially the pain from lying down. I'm having to try and make sure i only sleep on my sides but frequently turn onto my back. When i wake up im literally paralysed with pain, have to shout my flatmate to help, but even then have frequent accidents, i have a bladder problem anyway but this is giving me more problems.
    Last edited by galeforce81; 24-06-14 at 17:15.

Quote Originally Posted by galeforce81 View Post
    I have been diagnosed with having 3 slipped disks and was referred to a Physio. When i went to see her she said she had seen my notes and wanted to look at my scans.

She rang me back 3 weeks ago to say that one of the disk bulges is massive and she doesn't know how long i've managed to cope so well, so far, especially with my disabilities and she was referring me to the hospital.

I received my appointment on Friday for this Thursday with a spinal surgeon and says that if it is decided i will be having an operation i need to have a pre assessment and could be there for at least 5 hours.

Has anyone had an operation like this? I'm wondering what the recovery is like, how long before things were better, whether they had to stay in hospital or were discharged quickly and whether they were given any pain relief, as at the moment my GP will give me nothing stronger than Diclofenac, which is useless.

Sorry Mikey for jumping on your thread. I completely understand how your feeling. Especially the pain from lying down. I'm having to try and make sure i only sleep on my sides but frequently turn onto my back. When i wake up im literally paralysed with pain, have to shout my flatmate to help, but even then have frequent accidents, i have a bladder problem anyway but this is giving me more problems.
    I had a friend who went for the same operation 3 years ago to be exact, she spent 2 nights in the hospital on strong painkillers which floored her.

After she was discharged she was referred to out patients physio for 6 weeks with the referral from her consultant. She received 5mg of OxyContin morning and night and ora morph as an inbetween pain killer, before this she was on ketamine due to pain, as far as I'm aware as soon as spinal operations are complete they look for discharge within 3 days as she was told at her pre op assessment

Good luck with it hope it helps you 😊

Reluctant but have started tramadol will see if it eases.

As for codeine not even touched the pain for what ever reasons.

Grinning and bearing just a few days then home.

Mike

My daughter has a back problem and takes Baclofen which was given by her GP to relax her muscles, it helps with her pain - but irritates her bladder and she had accidents during the night. Eventually she controlled this by limiting her fluid after a certain time in the evening.
    The back pain began to worsen so her Gp UPPED THE bACLOFEN - WHICH HELPED WITH THE PAIN.

BUT - this then brought back the nightly inco problems - so now the GP has upped her inco meds!!

Round and round it goes.

Hope you find some relief with your back problem though
    Sea Queen