Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fed up negative tv for people on benefits

Blackball - I agree with what you write about carers, also the amount of tax evasion (seemingly perceived as OK by many) compared to benefit fraud (which is regarded as utterly unacceptable by most people).

Another thing to remember is that we're all taxpayers to some extent. I'm not paying any Income Tax as my taxable income isn't high enough and I don't pay Vehicle Excise Duty for my car as I take advantage of the exemption available with PIP enhanced rate Mobility. However, I am not exempt from VAT (other than certain exemptions for disability related items), fuel duty and Insurance Premium Tax. More broadly, my participation in the UK economy leads to economic activity on which tax is (mostly!) paid.

An overweight, heavy drinking, heavy smoking 'working' person will eventually cost the government more than a claimant who does not smoke drink etc. A 'working' person with a large family will also cost much more (I am not saying introduce a one child policy). They will get outraged if things were cut. 'I've worked all my life and I am entitled.....etc. Someone now disabled may have only worked three years and paid more tax in that time than others with a full working life.
    Just to demonstrate that things are never so simple. Yes we all pay VAT.

When I became disabled after a critical illness over 10 years ago now and had to take medical retirement from my position I ended up on IB which really went against the grain. I tried time and time again to find employment in another field as my original profession was totally unsuitable for my disability.

This went on for over 4 years until I gave up as I was sick to death of being told I was not suitable as soon as I mentioned my disability although I knew full well I was capable of what was on offer. I was applying for part time positions as full time was not do-able which after I had paid travelling meant I would have been much worse off. People kept telling me I was a fool to look for work and be worse off financially but to me it was a matter of pride and standing on my own two feet instead of being dependant on hand-outs. I had worked all my life prior to being ill so I had paid plenty into the system.
    In the meantime I filled my time by doing several voluntary occupations which kept me occupied and feeling as if I was giving something back to society for the IB I was getting.

Although I now receive my SRP I continue with voluntary work from which I get a great satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackball View Post
    Nobody should be forced to take an unsuitable or menial job.
    I disagree with that. If someone can support themselves while they look for a job that they don't consider menial, that's fine. But if they are receiving benefits from the state and are capable of doing the job, then they are in no position to turn down a job because it is considered menial (and who exactly is supposed to do these menial jobs?).

I don't think we should judge someone's value based on what they contribute economically as that would imply someone who contributes nothing is worth nothing but that is not the case. But I think that if someone is ABLE to work then they should work provided a job is available, although it may not be the job they want. Plus once in a job you gain experience and employability which may lead to something better. Being in employment does not make you a better person but I do think that society in general benefits from people being in work. It gives people a sense of well being and self worth, not to mention much anti social behaviour arises from boredom. I think that benefits society in general.

I really dislike this notion that work is the be all and end all to living

For those who either cannot get a job or are too ill or disabled to work, it is so demoralising to constantly have this idea of working being the only way to get any sense of worth or value in life. It's nonsense.

Not all people have - or had - access to a good education, or an opportunity to get into further education. This is especially true of disabled people. In my experience exam results are no indication of an individual's intelligence.

I also have a problem with the notion that disabled people should be striving at all costs to overcome their disabilities or illness so If they don't, then they are giving up. I find this really insulting. Disabled people can struggle enough just getting through the day, without being made to feel that they should be trying harder - pushing themselves further.

My disability has always been there, it's not going away so I work with it - not against it.

If only there were more shows that demonstrated the positive things that can be achieved by people who do not have jobs. I am aware of volunteers who give far more back to society than say a supermarket checkout person. Dare I say that?
    My Psychiatrist once told me to look upon DLA as a trust fund. If only it were as secure. But even saying that shows a certain mindset.
    Notions are hard to change and the media does little accentuate the positive.

I couldn't agree more with rich-ward and Blackball's posts.

I reject the idea that worth is measured in primarily economic terms. Contributing to society is about much more than how much you earn.

Those who are totally dependent are precious, and society should value its most vulnerable members.

I was given a new insight to the whole "benefit fraud" thing yesterday afternoon while visiting my Auntie.

Her neighbours - One of whom *doesn't live there* but has his own two bedroomed flat because *he has to have a carer stay over at least 4 nights a week* so doesn't pay bedroom tax - he told me he claims for: Osteoarthritus, sciatica(which I also have), Needs a hip and knee replacements....

All while Bragging that he goes on several holidays a year, goes hiking on a regular basis, plays rugby. He was evening doing a lot of heavy gardening in my aunties garden. He also slipped up while 'bragging' that he doesn't even stay at his flat most of the time, but was moaning about "bloody foreigners taking all the housing"

I actually turned round and said "Well, if you stayed in your flat like you're supposed to be, or gave your flat up, there would be another place available for somebody who really actually needs it" and then I limped off. Bear it in mind that I have been told that despite needing a lot of help, I would not be able to apply to live in a two bedroomed flat, despite needing help during the night.

He's lucky I didn't go on my "I don't like racist idiots" rant aswell.

removed
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerangelx View Post
    I was given a new insight to the whole "benefit fraud" thing yesterday afternoon while visiting my Auntie.

Her neighbours - One of whom *doesn't live there* but has his own two bedroomed flat because *he has to have a carer stay over at least 4 nights a week* so doesn't pay bedroom tax - he told me he claims for: Osteoarthritus, sciatica(which I also have), Needs a hip and knee replacements....

All while Bragging that he goes on several holidays a year, goes hiking on a regular basis, plays rugby. He was evening doing a lot of heavy gardening in my aunties garden. He also slipped up while 'bragging' that he doesn't even stay at his flat most of the time, but was moaning about "bloody foreigners taking all the housing"

I actually turned round and said "Well, if you stayed in your flat like you're supposed to be, or gave your flat up, there would be another place available for somebody who really actually needs it" and then I limped off. Bear it in mind that I have been told that despite needing a lot of help, I would not be able to apply to live in a two bedroomed flat, despite needing help during the night.

He's lucky I didn't go on my "I don't like racist idiots" rant aswell.
    You should give serious consideration to reporting him for benefit fraud.

I would but don't know his full name.

I only know his partner's first name and address, aswell.