Thread: Would I lose some benefits if I were to move in with sister

Would I lose some benefits if I were to move in with sister

My sister is struggling financially and is in the process of moving closer to work another 20 miles away from me, she is thinking about renting a small terrace house but the rent is over half her monthly pay plus travel expanses, council tax ect. I worry about her. I'm thinking strongly about moving in with her, I'm currently in supported housing and receive DLA care high rate, IB/Income support, plus the disability premium. If I were to move in with my sister would I lose any benefits. I have an appointee for my money and am under the LD team, could they stop me moving out of here if its deemed I lack capacity which they have done before while in hospital?

The benefits situation is not that straightforward. You'd retain your DLA and Incapacity Benefit. The difficult areas are the entitlement to the Severe Disability Premium on Income Support and whether you'd be entitled to any Housing Benefit. Both of these depend on the precise legal basis on which you and your sister occupy the house.

There is also the issue that you'd be giving up your existing housing and the support that goes with it, which you might not be able to regain easily later on.

Much as I realise you want to help your sister, I would be very cautious if your main motive for moving in with her is to provide financial support.

I would recommend discussing the situation with the learning disability team. They will know more about what you might be giving up by leaving your existing housing and what you might be able to get if you decided to move out from your sister's place in the future.

The other issue that needs careful thought is can your sister support you fully with your needs as well as working
    Sea Queen

Quote Originally Posted by sea queen View Post
    The other issue that needs careful thought is can your sister support you fully with your needs as well as working
    I'm not particularly happy here, I feel the staff have an vendetta against me especially management and its making me feel vulnerable that I'm going to lose my placement anyway, My SW said they will look at other placements if I wanted to move but this supported living company pretty much has a monopoly here and the only placement locally is the Enhanced care section of this company, where there are loads move restrictions. I think moving in with my sister is a good idea but understand where you are coming from Flymo.