Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't you just love hospital parking!

Welcome home Mr Firebird. I'm so glad for you both.

Bladder infections can be nasty in a man. Kidney infections are nastier still. I have an annoying habit of not spotting a UTI until it's gone to a kidney, as I don't have a lot of bladder sensation so get rather non-specific symptoms from a UTI..

Flymo, there is no free parking for blue badges on this hospital car park just a concession of standard charge of £2 however long you stay. I couldn't get one of the disabled bays, there are only 6 available and all were taken when I arrived. Sorry if I didn't explain that adequately. There is an overflow car park area which I wouldn't have been able to use as I couldn't have walked that far plus I would struggle to get my new scoot out and assembled etc, so I needed to park in the main area or go home. Once in the car park you can't get out unless you validate the ticket which is itself a challenging distance to walk. I have to sit for 5 to10 minutes at the WRVS stand to recover before i am able to walk further to the ward or I return from the ward before paying for the ticket, then back to the car. Doesn't seem right somehow.

Hi Flymo, hubbie has little bladder sensation following his surgery and so, like you, probably had difficulty noticing any symptoms except the usual change of colour with a catheter.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    Genuinely, I'm not clear how you or Richard are coming to the conclusion firebird parked in the wrong place.

There is a scenario that parking with a Blue Badge is free in designated bays only, she parked in a standard bay displaying her Badge and did not pay, but that involves making two assumptions (parking free in designated bays only, no payment made) and doesn't appear to square with the "no financial loss" part of her explanation. As it is, all we can be certain on is "not parking appropriately", whatever that is supposed to mean!
    I think Richard and I are just doing the same as you - reading firebird's post and drawing a conclusion from what she posted. It just happens to be a different conclusion from the one you've drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by rich-ward View Post
    I think Richard and I are just doing the same as you - reading firebird's post and drawing a conclusion from what she posted. It just happens to be a different conclusion from the one you've drawn.
    I'm far too tired and ill to get into games about the assumptions that others are or are not making. I would simply question whether it is appropriate to condemn other people's behaviour if we are not willing to state the assumptions upon which that condemnation is based.

The key thing from a legal perspective is likely to be that the PCN (apparently) says "not parking appropriately within a parking bay". If the PCN is genuinely founded on a contractual term requiring appropriate parking, that term is likely to fall to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999.

The moral position is fairly irrelevant from a legal perspective, though, if it matters, my personal belief is that everyone should pay according to the tariffs posted so long as they had the opportunity to do so (so the machine was working and was accessible to them).

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Hubbie had a bladder infection and the urology nurse may or may not have been precipitous. He was given antibiotics on Saturday afternoon which worked virtually immediately and is now back home. Peace is gone!
    Glad to read he is home and getting better.

Hopefully you will also get this parking thing sorted to everyone's satisfaction.

Thanks everyone for your help and good wishes for my hubbie.

An update!

Thank you to Flymo for his suggestion to check out the pepipoo website. I also researched using Parking Cowboy, CAG, moneysavingexpert and one or two others whose names I can't remember. I fully enjoyed doing the research and it was very enlightening. Anyone studying law has my utmost respect.

I followed the advice and my soft appeal was rejected and a POPLA code given. This so far has cost Liberty Printers aka Car Parking Partnership, about £30. I wrote and sent in, online, my "appeal" using Genuine Pre-estimate Of Loss, Signage, no proprietary interest in the land and no standing, failure to establish 'keeper liability' under PoFA 2012.

Today I have received an email from POPLA stating that the parking charge has been cancelled by Liberty Printers and therefore the Lead Adjudicator has allowed the appeal.

I urge anyone issued with one of the speculative invoices to challenge the ticket. i am quite happy to share my submission to POPLA. In fact I am quite proud of it.

I will be telling PALS, my local MPs (one of whom I used to work with), the parish council, posting on facebook, and telling anyone else i can think of.

These car park operators are charlatans and cowboys at best!

BTW Richard, I won't make any mistake when parking, ever again!
    Last edited by firebird; 20-09-14 at 07:52.

I replied yesterday but it keeps getting lost.

Thanks to Flymo for suggesting the pepipoo website. I followed advice from a number of websites, wrote a detailed appeal to POPLA, and yesterday heard that the ticket had been cancelled and the Lead Adjudicator has allowed my appeal. It is worth making the effort to challenge these cowboys and charlatans.
    Last edited by firebird; 20-09-14 at 13:22.

They're moderating my second post about winning against the parking charge! Grrrrrrrrrrr!