Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hope this helps someone

Hope this helps someone

As some of you may recall I applied for PIP for my 17 year old daughter who currently receives DLA back in march, her DLA runs out in August. So far 10 weeks into claim and nothing has moved not had medical or anything. Rang DLA to say what will happen and she has told me if PIP are nowhere near decision stage 4 weeks before DLA runs out, they will contact DLA to tell them, and your DLA will be continued for a couple of months as a safety net. I rang because I had heard conflicting advice, hope this puts some of your minds at rest. It's so stressful

She also advised me to ring myself to make sure info has been received

My sons dla runs out in july, he has not had claim forms for pip yet but I have had a letter to state that his dla can be paid as far as july next year, depending on how long it takes to process

All the letters to people on DLA being invited to start the reassessment process to PIP contain the statement:

If you claim Personal Independence Payment, we’ll make sure that your Disability Living Allowance continues to be paid until we make a decision about your Personal Independence Payment claim.

So long as you start the PIP claim before the date on the letter and stick to all the deadlines in the PIP claim process, DLA continues to be paid until the PIP decision is made. Once the PIP decision is made, the claimant gets their next DLA payment as normal, then four more weeks on DLA (for most people, this means a second four-weekly DLA payment), then DLA stops permanently. Any PIP award starts immediately after DLA stops.

This automatic extension of DLA awards includes ongoing payment to Motability if the claimant has an active Motability agreement. However, I'm not sure it's possible to get proof of this short-term DLA entitlement, which might make it impossible to renew consequential entitlements, such as Vehicle Excise Duty exemption or a Blue Badge without further assessment.

It may be worth phoning the DLA helpdesk to confirm that the extension of the DLA award has been noted before it was due to run out.

DWP's PIP Toolkit now admits some PIP claims are taking 5-6 months:

It has become clear that the reassessment process is taking longer than originally anticipated.

The actual time to get a decision on a claim depends on individual circumstances. In some cases it can take about 21 to 26 weeks.

We are taking steps to speed up the claims process and dealing with claims as quickly as we can.

Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    My sons dla runs out in july, he has not had claim forms for pip yet but I have had a letter to state that his dla can be paid as far as july next year, depending on how long it takes to process
    The roll out of 'natural reassessment' from DLA to PIP is still incomplete and there is no clear picture of when it will complete.

20 weeks from the end of your son's existing award, DWP will either send a DLA claim pack or a letter inviting him to claim PIP. If he gets a DLA claim pack, he will make a renewal claim for DLA. DWP only extend DLA awards for people who are undergoing reassessment to PIP.

we have not received the claim form yet flymo, and it is less than 20 weeks untill his current award ends, but we have had a letter telling us we will be sent a form soon
    We have also had a visit to see if he will manage his own affairs, they decided he can

Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    we have not received the claim form yet flymo, and it is less than 20 weeks untill his current award ends, but we have had a letter telling us we will be sent a form soon
    We have also had a visit to see if he will manage his own affairs, they decided he can
    I thought you were meaning July 2015 until this post.

You're within 10 weeks of the end of his current award, and the PIP postcode map confirms 'natural reassessment' from DLA to PIP is not live anywhere in the London area. This means your son should be renewing his existing DLA award. The onus is on him to send a DLA claim so that it arrives at DWP before the end of his existing DLA award - if he doesn't do this, his DLA award will lapse, payments will stop and he will have to make a new application for PIP. In this scenario, he cannot receive any PIP until the assessment process is complete and PIP is awarded, which can take many months.

If the DLA form arrives at DWP even the morning after his existing DLA has ended without "good cause" (which is difficult to show when you have had the form for weeks), it will not be accepted as a valid DLA claim. Instead, it will be treated as a claim in the alternative for PIP, the clerical information (details of bank account etc.) will be transferred to the PIP system and the explanation of disability and health problems in the DLA form is ignored, as it addresses the wrong legal tests. Anyone in this position has to through the full PIP assessment process including the PIP2 How your disability affects you questionnaire - the DLA form merely takes the place of the initial phone call to claim PIP.

No reminder is sent to those with expiring DLA awards after the form is sent - it's up to the claimant whether or not to send it. It sounds as if the form has gone astray or somehow has not been sent. I suggest he rings the DLA helpline urgently and requests another form.

Back in March you posted that your son was quite anti benefits and had said he wouldn't apply if he was deemed capable of managing his own affairs. As you suspected, you have been discharged as his appointee, so any renewal form would be addressed to him. It is certainly possible DWP have screwed up and not sent a form. Is it also possible that he's been sent the form and has hidden it or thrown it away?

It is ultimately his choice whether or not to attempt to renew his DLA, or to make a PIP claim. However, he must accept the consequences of failing to submit a good quality renewal claim in time. The onus is on him to take positive steps to renew. I think you have to assume the original DLA form is lost or missing, and request another.

Time is running out, not least as DLA is almost certain to stop temporarily if his renewal DLA claim is not decided before the existing DLA award runs out. It always used to be the case that a DLA award expired and payment stopped even if a renewal claim is pending. I don't believe this has been changed despite the automatic extension of DLA awards when a PIP claim is pending. If there is a break in his DLA, any new DLA award will be backdated to the day after his previous award ended once the decision is made, but that cannot undo the period when he wasn't entitled to DLA.

If there is even a temporary break in your son's entitlement to DLA MRC/HRC, this will end or at least suspend your Carer's Allowance. That, in turn, will end your Income Support, as you are no longer a carer. That will trigger notification to your council that you have stopped receiving a means tested benefit, which is likely to mean your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Help is suspended pending enquiries into your financial position. You might be left with no alternative to claiming ESA for yourself.

If the problem is with your son's reluctance to apply for DLA rather than with DWP, he needs to understand how serious that decision is. It means you might temporarily have no money at all.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Flymo; 06-06-14 at 10:32. Reason: Strengthen the explanation of the likely effect of delaying a renewal DLA claim (last four paragraphs)

he hasnt had one and thrown it away,the post comes whilst he is at school and on weekends he is not up till the afternoon
    we have only just received the form saying that future correspondence will be sent to him(once he turns 16)
    He has now agreed to claim at least whilst he is at sixth form
    I do doubt whether he will be awarded anything if he fills in the form himself as his view of what I do for him and vice versa is very different from mine (he once exclaimed that he does everything around the house)(this was based on the fact that he passed me a blanket when I was poorly and laying on the settee, and actually does no chores at all!
    I hrang the dss about the letter as it was very ambigous and the man explained that the claims were taking "a little while" and that his current award was extended to deal with the delays

I've not heard of DLA awards being extended other than for people waiting for PIP decisions, but I'm not fully up to speed on what is happening with adult DLA.

Today is 8 months after the intended start date for natural reassessment' from DLA to PIP across England, Wales and Scotland. DWP had expected adult DLA decision making to be at a very low level by now, as the adult DLA system should only have been dealing with renewal claims and changes of circumstances for people who have an existing DLA award and were 65 or over on 8 April 2013. Instead of that, there are still large parts of the country where existing DLA recipients are being reassessed under the DLA regime.

If your son's DLA award is being extended temporarily, I'd try to get that in writing, including what he has to do to benefit from the extension. There are numerous examples in the forums of people being told something over the phone by DWP that turns out not to be true.

thanks flymo, will give them a ring on Monday to find out why no form yet