Thread: suggestions for holiday abroad with a warm heated pool

Cool suggestions for holiday abroad with a warm heated pool

Hello, I would like to book a family holiday for next year and would like some where with a pool that is heated to at least 29 degrees as my daughter has cerebral palsy and goes very stiff in cool water. We are not fussy about where we go as long as there is some sunshine. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you

Lot of outdoor pools abroad are cold cuz the outside temp is 23 - 30 degrees. Maybe look for a hotel with INDOOR pool?

I went to a hotel on La Palma Island that had a heated outdoor pool but to be honest it wasn't that warm, not much warmer than the regular pools. Outdoor pools are only heated for a short while in the winter season and not during the summer at all.

Indoor swimming pools are usually heated to between 26-28 degreesC. It is difficult to undertake vigorous exercise in anything much warmer as the swimmer overheats. A small increase in temperature dramatically increases the cost of heating and can make it more difficult to maintain adequate disinfection (you have to run a hot tub or spa with a much higher disinfectant level than a pool because of the warmer water).

29 degreesC is the very top end of what I would expect in a swimming pool. If you want water warmer than that, you're really looking for a hydrotherapy pool, hot tub or spa.

Warm water has to be looked after very carefully to be safe - the warmer temperature means you need a higher disinfectant level (if using chlorine, a pool usually has between 0.5 and 2.0 mg/l free chlorine - a hot tub usually needs 3.0 to 5.0 mg/l free chlorine).

reddivine's point about pools feeling cold in hot conditions is well made. You feel cold when you get in the pool in hot conditions because the water is a similar temperature to the air, but the water is much better at conducting heat away from the body than air is.

Sorry if I sound like a pool bore. I'm responsible for looking after the chemistry and water treatment equipment at the pool where I go to exercise, which is an odd hybrid. It's a swimming pool, but it's kept at 30.5 degreesC with chemistry to suit. (Before anyone asks, it's not a public pool).

I also go weekly to a private pool for an aerobic session and the water there is kept much warmer than a standard pool because it mainly caters for the disabled and children.