Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: music that inspires you

music that inspires you

I enjoy listening to all sorts of music as my taste is very varied. On Sunday a local park is staging a 'big lunch' and a very endearing young soprano singer will be belting out a few numbers from her first album.

As a contrast I'm also into high energy dance type music. I'm really taken with a new song by Cold P;ay called 'cause you're the sky'. The first time I saw and heard it was on a recording of the Graham Norton show from Friday - still on inlayer - I can't get enough of it - full of energy - I like to sing along with it.

There's no live video of it but this gives you a feel.

What rocks your boat at the moment.

Check out from 33 minutes in - superb!!!! ``(available until 4 June)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...s-15-episode-9
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 31-05-14 at 22:51.

What rocks my boat at the moment?

Lana Del Reys version of "Once upon a Dream" from the Maleficent film.

Also, any song by Paloma Faith. I just adore her.

Hi Flowerangel - well, I recognise at least one singer's tune but could never put a name to the group. Problem solved - thanks. She does have a slight resemblance to yourself in my opinion.

On Sunday just gone my local park staged a 'Big Lunch' for the local community. One of the guests was a local up-and-coming singer aged just 16 who sings 'Opera-crossover'. She is just at the beginning of her career but I'm sure that one day she will be as big as Katherine Jenkins.

Here she is outside the old hall on Sunday

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scarlett.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	977

I went to see Paloma Faith perform at the O2

I want the O2 to see some sense.

I managed to get tickets for Monty Python - a wheelchair space for me, a carer space and another seat nearby. At the time of booking, I was told that the wheelchair space and carer space were for a specific Block, with the standalone seat a couple of rows behind. The usual layout in the O2 has numerous wheelchair platforms near the top of Block 1.

When I've been to the O2 before, the tickets have all had a Block, Row and Seat, though the seat number is largely meaningless for the wheelchair space and carer space, as everyone rearranges themselves into the most sensible layout on the platform.

This time, the ticket for the standalone seat has a Block, Row and Seat, and the other tickets are "General Admission". I rang the O2 to query this, and the booking system showed the Block I'd agreed to at the time of booking. I asked them to reissue the tickets and they're still "General Admission", so I rang back to query it again. I was told to e-mail, and got a reply saying, in essence, that it's a 'free for all' between holders of these "General Admission" tickets.

I've written back, pointing out that if there's a single wheelchair area or it's 'free for all' within the Block agreed at the time of contract formation, that's fine. However, if neither of these are the case and there is a 'free for all' with ticket holders able to use any wheelchair area, this appears to be:
    • anticipatory breach of contract, as the contract was formed based on their offer of space in a particular block and my unconditional acceptance of that offer
    • unlawful direct discrimination against disabled people who use wheelchairs contrary to section 29(2) Equality Act 2010, as the failure to guarantee space in the Block mentioned at booking applies to wheelchair users but not the general public, and this discrimination cannot be justified as a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim
    • dangerous, as it encourages users of powered mobility devices to push through the crowd at inappropriate speed in order to secure the best seats

This feels like a "have you taken leave of your senses" moment, and I am not at all happy about it.

The person who will be taking my carer space with me has her own mobility problems, so we expect to lose in any race to the front (which is where we're supposed to be). If it's a 'free for all', I expect to head to where I'm supposed to be only to find it is full, trail right round the Arena looking for space, and be a long way from the third member of our party instead of a couple of rows away.

Alternatively, if the stewards are going to enforce the Blocks allocated at the time of booking, how are people supposed to know where to head with a "General Admission" ticket? If this is the case, there will likely be someone who tries the "I have a General Admission ticket so I'm entitled to be here and I'm not moving" thing.

For now, I'm going to work on the basis that it's all a big misunderstanding. If they confirm it's a total free for all, I will be taking it further. If they insist it's free for all and that's their final position, I'll probably be deleting the tickets (they're an e-mail attachment) and buying the DVD when it comes out. I want to see the show and have paid a lot for the tickets and reserved parking space, but I'm not sure I can face the stress and likely stupidity of a wheelchair space free for all.

Hope you get it sorted Flymo , and are able to go and enjoy the show

Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    Hope you get it sorted Flymo , and are able to go and enjoy the show
    Thanks - it was an upset today that I could have done without.

Some would think I'm mad even to consider throwing away tickets to what is likely to be a unique opportunity - the Pythons have given the strong indication they are disbanding for good after this short run at the O2, and these were incredibly hot tickets (they are for the first night of the run - the first one to be announced, which sold out in less than a minute). I expect, though, that some here will recognise there is a point where things are just too difficult, demanding and demeaning to deal with. There's a point where you're tired of fighting for inclusion, tired of having attention drawn to you, and tired of having to ask for what others take for granted.

I shouldn't have to ask for a guarantee to sit in the area I'd booked just because I'm a wheelchair user. I shouldn't have to think what I'm going to do if my carer if she exhausts herself wandering round the O2 with me whilst we hunt for available seats.

I'd rather throw away the tickets than sell them on if I decide not to go, as I think it's inappropriate to pass on tickets for wheelchair areas that were sold at reduced price because this encourages abuse by people who do not need the concession. However, I would be prepared to return the tickets for a full refund to the box office if I decide not to go.

Hopefully I can find a way ahead. I'm surprised a large venue has put me in this position, and wonder if it's a lack of awareness of the legal and inclusion consequences of what might be an unwelcome change of policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Hi Flowerangel - well, I recognise at least one singer's tune but could never put a name to the group. Problem solved - thanks. She does have a slight resemblance to yourself in my opinion.
    I wish that were true! Although, my style has been like this since before she was in the public eye

Deebee - I'm going to see her in October - Can not wait!!!!

Flymo, I would not be happy having bought accessible seats to be told that none have been allocated as it's a free for all.

I must admit I don't like these enormous stadiums as it involves lots of planning.

We have a phones4uArena in Manchester. Luckily I know an usher that staffs the doors and she told me which section and row to book that was fully accessible by default. You couldn't fault the seat as it was just in front of the stage but high up. It was a premium price at £140 but worth it to see Madonna. A one off at that price!

For what it's worth here's my tips.
    - Don't bother booking tickets through an agency online - contact the 'special needs help line' of the actual venue
    - you should be allocated a wheelchair space or spaces to a particular spot just for your party.
    http://www.phones4uarena.co.uk/venue.../seating-plan/
    - if you are having difficulties conveying your access needs to the phone operator ask to speak to their manager and take their name. There's nothing like accountability to make them focus!
    - don't give up - it's your right - you've paid to see the show

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by flowerangelx View Post
    I wish that were true! Although, my style has been like this since before she was in the public eye

Deebee - I'm going to see her in October - Can not wait!!!!
    I can see what's happened here. She's spotted you in Nottingham and decided that's the look she needs on the stage. You're a trend setter!!