Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HB and c tax award - pip

HB and c tax award - pip

Hi had a new award today and my letter says I have to now pay housing benefit of £52 a week and £68 c tax a month, I only work 18 hours and before this new award I only paid £12 month c tax and £20 a month HB! The reason it states on the claim is "the severe disability premium no longer being applied to your claim as someone receives carers allowance! My mum is my carer but she on pension credits and only gets £5 a week too up! Got myself in ta right state as be no point me working as will have no money - anyone know why, I transfer knot pip 10th June and will get enhanced care and standard mobility! Thanks

If someone gets Carer's Allowance for looking after you, you lose your entitlement to Severe Disability Premium. It is immaterial that the Carer's Allowance largely disappears within their means-tested benefits.

When you authorised your mother to claim Carer's Allowance for looking after you, you would have acknowledged that the authorisation you gave might affect your benefits.

It would be in your widest interests for your mother to close her Carer's Allowance claim and for you to recover your SDP entitlement - even if you pay her the £5 per week she loses, you will be much better off.

With enhanced rate Daily Living PIP and working 18 hours per week, you appear to meet the qualifying criteria for Working Tax Credit with the disability element and the severe disability element. You should investigate that, as you could be missing out on a lot of money.

They so confuse me - am in a right state cos of this - thanks all for your help! Can my mother close her carers allowance down x

Hi flymo I do get extra tax credits for my disability! Just feel everything is against me at the moment with losing my car with pip x

Your mother should be able to close her Carer's Allowance claim and inform the office dealing with her Pension Credit that she no longer receives Carer's Allowance. That will restore your ability to qualify for the Severe Disability Premium, but you will need to live alone or be treated as living alone (which is quite a complex area) to qualify for SDP.

So far as the loss of your entitlement to Motability goes, I've given some thoughts towards possible reconsideration previously.

Hi I live alone with my 9 year old daughter x

Anyone under 18 is not a non-dependant and will not affect your entitlement to Severe Disability Premium.

Thanks all feel so much better xxx

If you haven't spotted it, you might find the thread started today on sarcoidosis interesting.