Thread: Capita pay PIP assessors £900 a day

Capita pay PIP assessors £900 a day

I think the Benefits and Work piece massively overstates the earnings possible, not least by quoting a maximum "up to" figure. I doubt anyone will really manage 6 assessments a day consistently, considering travel, preparation and writing up time.

As I explained previously (and then clarified further), I made the original pay Capita offered to be around £20 gross per hour on a self-employed basis, which isn't that attractive considering the experience required and overheads incurred (including providing your own car, insured for business use). The figures in the Benefits and Work piece make this figure 2.5 times higher once you reach the incentive rate, so around £50 per hour, which is rather more attractive. They've got to do something to solve the chronic shortage of assessment resources, though it sounds like the incentive rate will be reviewed once the backlog has cleared.

Taking the 2 hours per assessment figure in the Benefits and Work piece, which I reckon is very much on the low side for an assessment that typically lasts 60-90 minutes, plus preparation and writing up time, I think 6 assessments per day is completely unrealistic except in very special circumstances. 6 assessments per day lasting 2 hours each is a 12 hour working day before you add the driving time between appointments.

I think a more realistic figure is a minimum of 3 hours per assessment, making the realistic maximum is 4 assessments per day, with 3 assessments per day probably being the best achievable in practice on many days.