Thread: Choice, Spec and Too Much Tech! Grand C4 Picasso...

Choice, Spec and Too Much Tech! Grand C4 Picasso...

Hi,

I've been having a bit of a nightmare choosing a seven seat car within my budget. There is a lot of choice and I have spent a fair bit of time looking and trying out some.

I thought I'd finally settled on a Citroen Grand C4 Picasso Hdi 115 Airdream ETG6 in VTR+ trim (what a mouthful)! I managed to get to a dealer (Citroen London West) that had one and had a decent look. The car itself is well thought out, with decent size seats and a simple conversion from 5 to 7 seats. It's got a bit of space behind the third row when they are up and the car feels very airy and spacious. Specs and tech are very high and hence my problem. Firstly this one was keyless, the dash lights up when you open the door - flashing the "push brake and press start" message! All the controls are on a touch screen aside from a massive amount of controls on the steering wheel. I'm not sure I like it - too much tech making the car feel very impersonal. The nail on the head for me was being told that the mobility guy had just ordered one for the customer and there was a 10 to 12 week wait for delivery.

This has killed my plans. My old Zafira was due to be returned to the finance company on wednesday under the Voluntary Termination right on my finance agreement. This would allow me to get rid of the car before it's MOT, Insurance and required major service was due at the end of the month. But I can't order a car before my licence comes back from DVLA (3 year expiry + photo) and I can't be 3 months without a car. I'm going to have to keep my current car for a bit longer and pay out for all the things it will need.

I saw my ex partners new Focus Titanium Nav 1.6 Powershift yesterday, and while a 5 seat car is no good for me it was exceptionally well finished inside. This is turning my head back towards the Grand C-Max which even in Zetec form has quite a few goodies from the Titanium spec on the standard C-Max. I'm just not sure if the third row is big enough for the few times I will have to use the two seats. The child seat must go on a full size second row seat. The narrow seat should be ok for my 6 year old so only one of my larger teens would need to use a third row seat. The S-Max Zetec seems very spartan inside - I guess it's meant to be a more luxury model and it certainly is lovely in Titanium S spec.

The only other niggle is fuel consumption...

So it's back to the Zafira Tourer (bluetooth = £200)!! I managed to buy a cheap Aldi radio/cd/mp3/bluetooth for £45... or a Ford ? - Max.

Any thoughts anyone!

To put the grand CMax in perspective, we went on holiday last year, 4 adults and a 4yr old in a car seat, with all the luggage for a week' strip. 1000 miles and we got there and back in comfort, the other adults aren't on the small side either.

Don't rule a car out if it has a 10-12 week wait, you'll be waiting that for the majority of cars on the scheme, the Ford will take 9-12 weeks!

I'd much rather buttons on the steering wheel (where you can safely use them) compared to all over the centre console, I haven't touched 80% of the buttons in the CMax, very poorly laid out and do I believe us the Zafira.

Good luck with your decision

Hi Eddie, you say you can't order your car as your licence has expired? I'm sure if you have a family member close by they could be nominated as the driver until you get you licence updated, friends or family can do this not sure about the distance they have to live near you but sure someone on here can tell you, hope it works out for you and good luck!

God I must sound so ungrateful!!

I've managed to get a proper test drive of a diesel semi auto Grand C4 Picasso tomorrow at Worley's in High Wycombe. Strange that the bigger dealer in Aylesbury hasn't seemed to do anything to get me a car to try but this little dealership has gone all out for me. I'm really torn now between the Citroen and the S-Max. The Citroen clicks 90% of the boxes and the S-Max just seems more robust and with better quality ride and build if only behind the Citroen on spec.

One thing I have noticed. Getting petrol yesterday I saw the earlier model of Grand C4 Picasso... It looked bigger, more comfy and it looked a nice solid car - quiet too. Definitely had that S-Max look of being well finished and well built. Why do I look at the new version and see something much more lightweight? Is it just the fancy styling?

@Blastoff. Motability said something very similar. Truth is I don't have any family who would / could do this for me and I don't really want nearby friends to do it either. I'm pretty sure my medical issues re: driving licence are pretty simple, they've had my GP letter back and it's just in the hands of the DVLA doctor to sign off. The rush to get it sorted is much less now that I've decided to get all the work done on my current car and keep it on finance until the new car is ready.

I note that Ford have a lot of new upgrade models coming in this year including the S-Max.. Wonder if I can haggle up from a Zetec to a Titanium at reduced cost. I've seen some articles where this happens when an old model is due for replacement...

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie864 View Post
    @Blastoff. Motability said something very similar. Truth is I don't have any family who would / could do this for me and I don't really want nearby friends to do it either. I'm pretty sure my medical issues re: driving licence are pretty simple, they've had my GP letter back and it's just in the hands of the DVLA doctor to sign off. The rush to get it sorted is much less now that I've decided to get all the work done on my current car and keep it on finance until the new car is ready.

I note that Ford have a lot of new upgrade models coming in this year including the S-Max.. Wonder if I can haggle up from a Zetec to a Titanium at reduced cost. I've seen some articles where this happens when an old model is due for replacement...
    I haggled with my Ford options so it's definitely worth trying - I saved just under £400!
    You could also use your old car as a part-exchange against the Advance Payment - ask the dealers how much they would take your car for.

Oh, and don't ever think you are ungrateful. This purchase affects the next 3 years of your life and so it's very important you chose the right car for your circumstances. If we only needed cars to get from A to B we would all still be driving those little invalid carriages!
    Last edited by Paul; 20-05-14 at 23:07.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Thanks for that Paul.

Can you imagine buying a new car and how the choice of spending £23,000 would be LOL. I did buy a new car back in 2002. Ending up choosing between a Skoda Octavia Estate and the girlfriend wanted the Citroen Xsara Picasso HDi. So we ended up with a Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (just for the locking rear window controls). It was a great choice, a fantastic car with a really frugal but decent engine. Depreciated so much though! It didn't bother me as I commuted to work via a motorcycle anyway. But the car was perfect for my family. Car tech has moved on so much that in all honesty any of the modern seven seaters will be a vast improvement on my old Zafira.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie864 View Post

Hi eddy, as your wait is 12 weeks even just a close friend to be main driver they won't be credit checked or anything all it would be is a go betweener until your updated licence pops through the letter box I had to do this and it was so simple with my dealer and motabilty even the dvla where very helpful by confirming i do hold a full driving licence but obv I had been advised to wait to drive until all was updated. I wish you luck again and look forward to hearing your review of the chosen car 😊