Thread: Joint claim for ESA and PIP? Help?

Joint claim for ESA and PIP? Help?

So me and my boyfriend are both claiming ESA in the Support group, and standard rate of daily living for PIP. We plan to move in together in a month or so in order to be more supportive for each other. How will this effect what we get? We know we'll probably be worse off but we don't know by how much. (I'm 18 and he's 32 if that makes any difference).

Thank you!

Also, will our claim have to be paid into one bank account or can we put like half in mine and half in his?

PIP is a personal benefit, so you both retain your PIP.

If either of you receive Contributions Based ESA that, too, is a personal benefit and you will retain it.

One of you will have to make a joint claim for Income Related ESA, which will be assessed on your joint income and capital. You should expect a fair bit less as a couple than as two individuals.

One of you will have to make a joint claim for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Help and Discretionary Housing Payments, if any of those are relevant to you.

The charges for any help provided by social services and/or Direct Payments will potentially be reassessed - if either of you has this help, you need to let the council know about your change of circumstances.