Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Claim for PIP

Based on your advice Flymo which i appreciate greatly by the way as i do all other advice ive been given so far i shall forward i think for the moment copies of new medication and letterr of support from the Sister at my G.P. practice to Capita and the DWP. Although i think i will hold onto the detailed letter describing how my illnesses affect my daily activities and mobilty until i recieve my decision. I feel that at this stage it would be more relevant to do this should i need to ask for a reconsideration. Would you agree Flymo ?

removed
    Quote Originally Posted by Fieldymouse21 View Post
    Based on your advice Flymo which i appreciate greatly by the way as i do all other advice ive been given so far i shall forward i think for the moment copies of new medication and letterr of support from the Sister at my G.P. practice to Capita and the DWP. Although i think i will hold onto the detailed letter describing how my illnesses affect my daily activities and mobilty until i recieve my decision. I feel that at this stage it would be more relevant to do this should i need to ask for a reconsideration. Would you agree Flymo ?

If you choose to withhold evidence from the DWP/CAPITA then they can not consider it when doing the assessment/making the decision. The only individual disadvantaged is you. It is best to get the decision correct from the first time then having to go through a reconsideration/appeal.

I would strongly recommend you give all relevant info to DWP/CAPITA to allow them to consider it.

I see no reason to hold anything back if it's clearly relevant and not too long. It's not as if you've "used it up" by submitting it and can't therefore rely on it later for any reconsideration. (I once did a successful DLA reconsideration by pointing the decision maker to facts that were within the evidence sent along with the original claim).

The only note of caution is that limited notice might be taken of anything you submit after the assessment, as the assessment report will be written based on what the assessor had when the assessment was over and anything else might not reach the assessor in time. However, having some note taken of relevant material is better than none.

Having said that, I'd suggest you are probably right in your intention to hold onto a lengthy document that adds to and updates your original submission. Such a document will make limited difference now the assessment has taken place and there is a risk that sending too much additional material will draw attention away from those parts of the additional material you regard as most important.

You can always use relevant parts of that document for a reconsideration submission, as you suggest. Hopefully there's no need to request reconsideration because you get the right award first time.

The effort that went into preparing that document certainly wasn't wasted, as writing it will have helped to focus your thoughts before you met the assessor.

Whilst there's an understandable desire to try to make the case watertight, all you have to do is show that you more likely than not meet the criteria for PIP.

The only scenario I can think of where the specific points awarded matters is with the Mobility activities, where it's the points scores that determine whether you are entitled to a Blue Badge without further assessment.

I finished up with 23 points for Daily Living. It would have made no difference if I finished up with 17 or 25 points. 12 points or more is enough for enhanced rate Daily Living.

It's fascinating that toolook and I replied at the same time and disagreed over the longer letter you wrote.

I suggest that you have to decide based on how long and easy to navigate that longer document is. If it moves through the activities in order and makes easily digestible points on each, I'd send it. If it's several thousand words that is going to take half an hour to read and digest before the reader can make much use of it, it risks reducing all the additional material to the "haven't got time to get to grips with all that" pile.

If this additional material reaches the assessor at all, it will likely get to them after they've pretty much completed work on your assessment report. Brief additional material that is predominately factual might be useful to the decision maker. Anything too long risks drawing attention away from the points made in the other material, or DWP passing your case back to the assessment provider for their opinion.

Maybe you can put yourself in the place of the decision maker. Ask yourself how the various combinations of additional information would help or hinder considering you will have the assessment report from a trained medic whose job is to advise on the merits of the case.

Quote Originally Posted by toolook View Post
    If you choose to withhold evidence from the DWP/CAPITA then they can not consider it when doing the assessment/making the decision. The only individual disadvantaged is you. It is best to get the decision correct from the first time then having to go through a reconsideration/appeal.

I would strongly recommend you give all relevant info to DWP/CAPITA to allow them to consider it.
    Thankyou toolook,
    I take on board your advice and think i will submit further evidence that the HCP could not take with her after my home visit assesment ( Monday 12th May) i feel that photocopies of new medication and the support letter from Sister at G.P. letter could especially verify to my advantage the fact for example she clarifies that i cannot use public transport and are always accompanied by another person when outdoors . Although this information is already clarified by my G.P. on his report to DWP . Thanks Toolook for the advice

Thankyou Flymo<
    I think as ive stated to toolook that i will submit some additional information such as letter of support and evidence of new medication. In regards to lengthy letter i take on board that it may be too much to read as it already contains a lot of what was relayed to the HCP on assesment, therefore i think it may be a good idea to pinpoint out some of the factors which i wanted to relay to the HCP and failed to or forgot whilst she was here
    Again many thanks much appreciated .

Me again!! While i think of it and its fresh in my mind as i cannot sleep as always, i felt as if the focus was on the mental health aspect whilst answering the questions raised by the HCP which clearly they were and not so much on the physical aspects of my illnesses and how it affects me. For example i was surprised the HCP did not ask to see me walk just asking how far i could walk until in severe distress . Aswell as not asking for example what parts of my body i was able to wash myself and dress, more interested in how often i wash and dress. Not asking if i need assistance to get up from a chair, how often i have falls etc...
    Not asking if i can cut up food, mainly focusing on the points of wether or not i would eat unless prompted ( I did relay that i wouldnt bother eating only managing a biscuit all day until 10.30pm when my husband returns from work who will then cook me something to eat and even then i have to force it down me ( small portions as if he puts me too much on the plate it puts me off so to speak ) Im wondering if not enough as to how my illness physically affects me on a daily basis was reported by the HCP as i stated in previous posts she was from the Mental Health team
    Also the fact that i did tell the HCP that i am awaiting a home assesment for aids that i need from social services such as raised toilet seat grab rails raised chair seat etc.. Will i penalised for this seeing as i dont have these aids in use at present therefore .. Not scoring points on such as the daily living question do you need to use aids to manage toilet needs ? At present i need assistance to get off the toilet by another person if on my own i have to grab hold of the sink and try and pull myself up which causes distress and has resulted in falls. Just wondering if because at present i havent got these aids at present it will prevent me from scoring points.
    Last edited by Fieldymouse21; 17-05-14 at 01:18.

Is there a link that tells of what the law states regarding pip? I am very curious to know which legal guidelines the DM has to follow in conjunction with the HCP report as to how they must come to their decisions to award points in a pip claim
    Many thanks .

removed
    Quote Originally Posted by Fieldymouse21 View Post
    Is there a link that tells of what the law states regarding pip? I am very curious to know which legal guidelines the DM has to follow in conjunction with the HCP report as to how they must come to their decisions to award points in a pip claim
    Many thanks .
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ment-providers

Thankyou found it very interesting reading