Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Claim for PIP

Claim for PIP

Hi,
    Im new today to this group and would like some advice if possible regarding my claim for PIP.
    I originally telephoned for a claim form for pip in October 13 and recieved it posted it back in November 13.
    At the time of filling in the claim form i was not recieving treatment for panic disorder and depression,( although have been battling with this mental illness on and off for 8 years coming off treatment and going back on it,) but was for other illness heart failure, osteomalacia etc,,
    I recieved my assesment from Capita on Monday just gone. with a home visit from a mental health team hcp, although i have only recently back on treatment for mental health issues i found this quite surprsing that a mental health hcp was sent out to me but have to say relieved as my condition regarding this particular illness has somewhat spiralled out of control again and has been for quite a while now. I have been generally housebound now for over a year due to physical and mental health illness combined and so had a home visit from the hcp.
    She was very nice and seemed to take on board my problems, but could not answer as to how long it would be before i heard about my decision.
    Could anyone please enlighten me as to how long the wait is from the assessor sending her report over to the decison maker and then the decision maker to decide and let me know.
    Many thanks .

removed
    The phrase 'how long a piece of string' comes to mind. You just have to be patient and wait. There is nothing more you can do.
    Last edited by removed; 17-05-14 at 20:04.

I had mine with ATOS but from what I have read (which can vary wildly) and from my own personal experience, I would say you have at least another 8 weeks to wait from your assessment.

No one can anticipate how long your decision will take as every case can be different , sometimes reports are sent back to Capita for clarifications which will delay the decision , although i can comment on the timescales my pip claim took

Claim started 4th September 2013
    Home assessment by Capita on 6th March 2014
    Electronic report received at DWP on 13th March 2014
    Hard copy report received on 18th March 2014
    Decision dated 25th March 2014 ( enhanced daily living and enhanced Mobility from Sept 2013 to March 2018 )
    Copy of assessors report received by me on 26th March 2014
    Last edited by Shelly65; 15-05-14 at 15:39.

Thankyou for your replies and will let you know as soon as i know and Shelly65 glad it wasnt too long a wait for you and the outcome successful

The assessor could have a physical health or mental health background. In your case, it sounds as if it was useful that you got someone with a mental health background.

Almost all PIP assessments carried out by Capita are home visits. Capita took this approach so they didn't have to provide consulting rooms. ATOS took the opposite approach in the areas where they have the PIP assessment contract - assessments are centre based unless you provide evidence showing you cannot attend a centre based assessment.

There is simply no way of knowing how quickly any decision will be made. The report could be written up, pass through all the quality assurance checks and arrive at DWP within a few weeks, or it could take several months. My impression - and it is only that - is that we haven't had so many reports of very long post assessment delays recently. The point is, though, that it is very variable.

Once the report reaches DWP, the decision is usually made, notified and implemented in 2-3 weeks, but there are some cases where DWP ask the assessment provider to clarify or correct something, which causes additional delay.

I would work on the basis that it is unlikely you will hear in less than 6 weeks, and if you do, it's a nice surprise. 8-10 weeks is probably more realistic.

DWP seem to be sending out letters saying that they have everything they need to make the decision once they receive the assessment report, which gives some indication of how things are progressing.

Really, you've done all you can now, other than waiting as patiently as you can. As toolook says, the answer is "how long is a piece of string?".

Thank you Fieldymouse

My reports were done and sent to dwp fairly quickly , i have a life long progressive neurological condition , the assessor gave a very detailed report so i think mine was a fairly straight forward case some are more complicated and therefore decisions take that bit longer , but saying that my claim took 34 weeks from start to finish , mainly because there were no Capita assessors employed in my area so i had to wait for some to be recruited and trained before i had my visit but it was worth the wait in the end and i was awarded PIP Good luck i hope everything goes well for you

Thankyou again for your valued advice information and good wishes you have all been most helpful

Hi guys,
    Just a quick question over something thats troubling me.
    As ive stated illness has reoccurred ( mental health issues) and been diagnosed such as being diagnosed with oteomalacia although at the time of filling claim form in i was experiencing symptoms since filling in the claim form for PIP, and obviously a lot was not reported or not to the full extent on the claim form such as i struggle more than what i stated on various activities. For example i have been sleeping downstairs for the last 4 months due to me not being able to get upstairs with pain etc.. Also i am awaiting a home assesment for aids to help me around the home eg.. Raised toilet seat grab rails etc.. I am worried that although i relayed these details to the HCP it will not be taken into account with the Case Manager when making the decision on my claim. I also wrote down step by step the difficulties and help i need on the descriptors for daily living and mobility, which a lot of this is backed up by my G.P. report that the DWP sent out to him , and also obtained a letter of support from the Sister at my G.P. practice. Now when i rang Capita to inform them that i now have new illness and new medications and letter of support etc .. they told me to hand any additional information in writing photocopies etc.. to the HCP on my assesment. When the HCP visited me i attempted to hand in to her all the relevant additional information i had required and she informed me that she is NOT allowed to take any with her due to data protection. Now my concern is that although i managed to relay to her at my assesment a lot of what i had written down, there is still concern over for example G.P. did not write on his report that i had restarted medication and treatment for mental illness again as at the time i had not . HELP !

Send copies of the additional evidence to the assessment provider (Capita) and DWP. That's the best you can do at this stage.

If it turns out that something important has been missed, you can use that evidence as the basis of your reconsideration request.

The key thing to remember is that PIP is awarded based on the functional effects of your illness, not which conditions are active at what severity. Medical evidence is important to establish the medical basis of the problems you have with the PIP activities, but it is those problems that are the most important thing. Everything you described to the assessor should be taken into account though, as seriouslyfedup pointed out, this is a human driven system and human errors occur.