Thread: ESA Support Group

ESA Support Group

I had the dreaded letter from the DWP (after 14 months) which says I have been put in the Support Group (without a medical) migrating from Income Support and will be paid £x per week plus £y disability benefit, starting 6 June 2014. There is no end date. What does that mean? I don't want to ring them in case they change their minds!

Quote Originally Posted by miep View Post
    I had the dreaded letter from the DWP (after 14 months) which says I have been put in the Support Group (without a medical) migrating from Income Support and will be paid £x per week plus £y disability benefit, starting 6 June 2014. There is no end date. What does that mean? I don't want to ring them in case they change their minds!
    Don't worry about ringing them up, they will not change their minds if you phone them. Ask them how long your award is for and also ask them to put it in writing for you so you have written proof.

removed
    Quote Originally Posted by rich-ward View Post
    Don't worry about ringing them up, they will not change their minds if you phone them. Ask them how long your award is for and also ask them to put it in writing for you so you have written proof.
    Rich-ward is incorrect about written proof. It does not matter if you get written proof as the DWP, by law, can reassess anyone that has had there assessment more than 3 months ago. The prognosis is only an advisory and the DWP can choose to reassess you at anytime.

Secondly, you have to phone the DWP, there are no mind readers on here to be able to tell you which group you are in. The DWP will not change their mind if you call them. It's a call centre, where the call handler just reads off the screen.

ESA works very differently to DLA and PIP.

With DLA and PIP, most awards have a definite end date, and it is relatively rare to be reassessed early if you have such an award. As such, there is a reasonable expectation that you will be paid up to the end date - but no guarantee.

All ESA awards are open-ended - they continue until something removes your entitlement to benefit, such as being found Fit for Work on reassessment. When an ESA assessment takes place, a suggested review date is passed to DWP, and the decision maker decides on a review date to record (usually the date in the report). If you contact DWP and ask about the review date on your records, they will tell you, but you cannot insist that DWP do not reassess you before that date. The law gives DWP the power to reassess anyone on ESA who has not undergone an assessment in the past three months, as toolook noted.

By all means ask about your review date - just remember it is a guide and no more.

Quote Originally Posted by miep View Post
    I pleased for you, I was too placed in support group but letter did not say how long. I phoned and was told 3 years which for ESA is long time.

Quote Originally Posted by toolook View Post
    Rich-ward is incorrect about written proof. It does not matter if you get written proof as the DWP, by law, can reassess anyone that has had there assessment more than 3 months ago. The prognosis is only an advisory and the DWP can choose to reassess you at anytime.

Secondly, you have to phone the DWP, there are no mind readers on here to be able to tell you which group you are in. The DWP will not change their mind if you call them. It's a call centre, where the call handler just reads off the screen.
    Written notification of the prognosis is what I meant - something which gives the OP something to refer to for themselves in writing.