Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Case manager

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    626
    And yet the DWP guide says here

    All Health Professionals (HPs) undertaking assessments on behalf of DWP must be registered practitioners who have also met requirements around training, experience and competence. This document must be read with the understanding that as experienced practitioners and trained disability analysts, HPs will have detailed knowledge of the principles and practice of relevant diagnostic techniques and therefore such information is not contained in this guidance.

    I don't understand how IF the assessment providers train their assessors to a high standard and DWP agree they are, they can be so far from each other on decisions.

  2. #12
    removed
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KAREN SV View Post
    And yet the DWP guide says here

    All Health Professionals (HPs) undertaking assessments on behalf of DWP must be registered practitioners who have also met requirements around training, experience and competence. This document must be read with the understanding that as experienced practitioners and trained disability analysts, HPs will have detailed knowledge of the principles and practice of relevant diagnostic techniques and therefore such information is not contained in this guidance.

    I don't understand how IF the assessment providers train their assessors to a high standard and DWP agree they are, they can be so far from each other on decisions.
    As stated before Karen, this is extremely rare for the DWP to do this. As Flymo has pointed out the law may not have been followed by the assessor and that is why your PIP assessment was changed. There is little point in complaining and your best bet is to focus on the reconsideration.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by toolook View Post
    As stated before Karen, this is extremely rare for the DWP to do this. As Flymo has pointed out the law may not have been followed by the assessor and that is why your PIP assessment was changed. There is little point in complaining and your best bet is to focus on the reconsideration.
    Or looking another way toolook, the DWP have misadvised perhaps? I don't know how we can say that the assessment provider got it wrong until I hear. I was NOT COMPLAINING on here by the way. I was merely answering questions as best I could and from personal experience. I am actually focusing on the reconsideration now as well.

    If it is that Capita did not apply the law correctly (although i think they did as I feel it was the case manager at fault going by how little she had written) then I shall take it from there.
    Last edited by KAREN SV; 16-05-14 at 12:20.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,512
    Quote Originally Posted by burkey007 View Post
    does the decision letter tell you in detail the points awarded say 20 for care ect thanks
    The format of the decision letter is:
    • list of evidence used to reach the decision (which may just be the "health professional consultation report" - the evidence you provided mainly feeds into the assessment)
    • the component(s) that are awarded, with the rate(s) and length of award
    • (if award made) review date
    • outline justification for the decision, which is a summary of the reasoning in a few hundred words
    • descriptor chosen and points awarded for each Daily Living activity
    • descriptor chosen and points awarded for each Mobility activity
    • (if award made) details of payments
    • information about right to reconsideration
    • (if award made) warning to notify any change of circumstances
    • some rather vague information on other benefits
    • (if award made) Statement of Entitlement - a two sided page that lists the descriptor chosen and points awarded for each activity on a two sided page, together with the component(s) awarded and the length of award (the idea is that you use this if you need to prove entitlement to PIP)
    • (if Mobility component awarded) Certificate of Entitlement (for vehicle excise duty concession)


    You must request the assessment report if you want it. As Karen has noted, the Case Manager is entitled to reach a different conclusion to the assessment report when he or she applies the law to all the evidence, though it is rare for the assessment report not to be followed.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    The format of the decision letter is:
    • list of evidence used to reach the decision (which may just be the "health professional consultation report" - the evidence you provided mainly feeds into the assessment)
    • the component(s) that are awarded, with the rate(s) and length of award
    • (if award made) review date
    • outline justification for the decision, which is a summary of the reasoning in a few hundred words
    • descriptor chosen and points awarded for each Daily Living activity
    • descriptor chosen and points awarded for each Mobility activity
    • (if award made) details of payments
    • information about right to reconsideration
    • (if award made) warning to notify any change of circumstances
    • some rather vague information on other benefits
    • (if award made) Statement of Entitlement - a two sided page that lists the descriptor chosen and points awarded for each activity on a two sided page, together with the component(s) awarded and the length of award (the idea is that you use this if you need to prove entitlement to PIP)
    • (if Mobility component awarded) Certificate of Entitlement (for vehicle excise duty concession)


    You must request the assessment report if you want it. As Karen has noted, the Case Manager is entitled to reach a different conclusion to the assessment report when he or she applies the law to all the evidence, though it is rare for the assessment report not to be followed.
    Flymo, I was not on here complaining earlier. I feel like complaining but I was just stating my reality in this claim process. Its not all so simple and people on here are asking for views and why not post the negative ones like my own as well as the positive ones.

    Where by you write that the decision reasoning is a "few hundred" words, mine was more like 100. This is why I feel that maybe the case manager was rushed.

    And if as toolook stated above the assessor actually did not follow the law, surely this is not right and the assessor should not be working in this role as its not nice to "think" you would be awarded PIP and then find out you are not entitled.

    Can you imagine IF someone requested the report immediately before getting the decision letter. Can you imagine if they had not known how the decision maker /case manager could change the decision from the assessor and actually purchased things to help with their disabilities and then got into debt? I realise you are going to state that until an award letter is sent out, you cannot know either way but surely the assessor gets paid to apply the law too. As I stated above, the assessors are surely supposed to be already trained in this.

    It actually made me ill when I read my assessment report and how much of it was changed by the case manager. I feel so disheartened by it all if truth be known. I already felt confused and stressed over this and I must admit its stressed me more than ever. Its peoples lives they are messing around with here.
    Last edited by KAREN SV; 16-05-14 at 14:14.

  6. #16
    removed
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KAREN SV View Post
    Flymo, I was not on here complaining earlier. I feel like complaining but I was just stating my reality in this claim process. Its not all so simple and people on here are asking for views and why not post the negative ones like my own as well as the positive ones.

    Where by you write that the decision reasoning is a "few hundred" words, mine was more like 100. This is why I feel that maybe the case manager was rushed.

    And if as toolook stated above the assessor actually did not follow the law, surely this is not right and the assessor should not be working in this role as its not nice to "think" you would be awarded PIP and then find out you are not entitled.

    Can you imagine IF someone requested the report immediately before getting the decision letter. Can you imagine if they had not known how the decision maker /case manager could change the decision from the assessor and actually purchased things to help with their disabilities and then got into debt? I realise you are going to state that until an award letter is sent out, you cannot know either way but surely the assessor gets paid to apply the law too. As I stated above, the assessors are surely supposed to be already trained in this.

    It actually made me ill when I read my assessment report and how much of it was changed by the case manager. I feel so disheartened by it all if truth be known. I already felt confused and stressed over this and I must admit its stressed me more than ever. Its peoples lives they are messing around with here.
    You are incorrect Karen, the DWP under no circumstances would give a copy of the assessment report before a decision is made for exactly the reason, what if the DM does not agree with the report.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by toolook View Post
    You are incorrect Karen, the DWP under no circumstances would give a copy of the assessment report before a decision is made for exactly the reason, what if the DM does not agree with the report.
    Thanks for that toolook, My head is all over the place at the moment as you can imagine.

    It would be nice if when the case manager sends out the decision she/he also sends the assessment report and IF their are discrepancies between the two it is explained in law.

  8. #18
    removed
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KAREN SV View Post
    Thanks for that toolook, My head is all over the place at the moment as you can imagine.
    I understand but even if the reconsideration does not go in your favour. You can still appeal. Once you submit an appeal a further reconsideration is done. So in essence you get 2 reconsiderations and an appeal. So all is not lost.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by toolook View Post
    I understand but even if the reconsideration does not go in your favour. You can still appeal. Once you submit an appeal a further reconsideration is done. So in essence you get 2 reconsiderations and an appeal. So all is not lost.
    thanks again toolook,

    I also added another paragraph to my post above whereby the case manager should actually explain what is wrong in the assessment report and why she disagrees with the assessor on so much so I can get my sore head around her reasoning and look into the law myself or with an advocate.

    I would like this with mine if she now turns me down at reconsideration. I know my report was sent back to Capita again for re categorisation (I assume this means adding points and taking them away AGAIN) so I feel that maybe I should also be allowed to take action about being assessed by an assessor that the DWP are saying is not trained enough to assess. Its a minefield and disgusting how they are treating ill people. (Now I am moaning lol). I put my LOL through gritted teeth. My head is in tatters.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by toolook View Post
    They take account of all the evidence in front of them.
    Toolook, would it ever be possible that a decision is made without the assessment report and only on the actual form filled in by you when making the claim? (IF say the claimant has their MP fighting for them and they are stressed at the length of time its taken?).

Similar Threads

  1. Capita have now closed the case
    By NeurologicalNed in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-06-14, 11:38
  2. Meeting DWP manager in person re dad's dementia
    By Lighttouch in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-12-13, 04:45
  3. Disabled people win living fund case against governm
    By sea queen in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-13, 00:49
  4. bedroom tax . i dont understand it...can someone help in my case
    By dearme in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-03-13, 11:47
  5. Shall I tell my new manager about my health?
    By wazza in forum Work - help & advice on work, training, jobs for disabled people
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22-01-13, 22:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •