Thread: Joint ESA Claim. Partner is not ill. Does he need to attend Job Centre?

Joint ESA Claim. Partner is not ill. Does he need to attend Job Centre?

Hello,
    I am new. Please forgive if this is a repeat.

I get ESA and I am in support group. I sent in an ESA3 to add my husband to my claim as his JSA contribution based had run out. He was made redundant last year. He is not ill and not my carer.

His JSA advisor tells him he no longer needs to sign on and she did not think he needed to even go for interviews. This seems strange. I wondered if anyone else had experienced similar?

We are in London and both 61. Thanks for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Trudgingthrough View Post
    Hello,
    I am new. Please forgive if this is a repeat.
    I get ESA and I am in support group. I sent in an ESA3 to add my husband to my claim as his JSA contribution based had run out. He was made redundant last year. He is not ill and not my carer.

His JSA advisor tells him he no longer needs to sign on and she did not think he needed to even go for interviews. This seems strange. I wondered if anyone else had experienced similar?

We are in London and both 61. Thanks for reading.
    Sorry, I can't give you any advice on this myself, but just wanted to say in response to the bit of your post I highlighted, please don't worry about asking a question that may have already been asked elsewhere.

Sometimes it's easier to just ask - rather than wading through threads and threads looking for an answer that you may not be sure is the right one.

Thanks for that. Always nice to get a friendly message.

Quote Originally Posted by rich-ward View Post
    Sorry, I can't give you any advice on this myself, but just wanted to say in response to the bit of your post I highlighted, please don't worry about asking a question that may have already been asked elsewhere.

Sometimes it's easier to just ask - rather than wading through threads and threads looking for an answer that you may not be sure is the right one.
    I agree
    and I too cannot answer your question though I know of at least two on here that can and hope they will be along shortly
    I just wanted to ask (if you dont mind)why your hubby is not your carer?
    the reason I ask is just in case you are getting DLA and no-one is claiming carers as it could be extra income for you

I only claim ESA, not DLA. I am thinking of applying but the ESA process has put me off going through any more. Thanks.

The rules about actively seeking employment (ASE) and signing no longer apply to your husband as he is no longer claiming JSA. If he gets any work, this will affect the couple's entitlement to Income Related ESA.

The only complexity I can see in this is if the husband wants to claim NI credits because he doesn't yet have enough years for a full Retirement Pension. I think it is unlikely he is short of credited years at the age of 61, but I can't remember the rules for claiming NI credits only during unemployment.

As deebee says, if you have a disability benefit award that would entitle someone to claim Carer's Allowance for looking after you and nobody claims Carer's Allowance, it would likely be in your interests for your husband to claim Carer's Allowance so that you get a Carer's Premium included in your Income Related ESA.

The most common qualifying benefits for someone to get Carer's Allowance for looking after you are the PIP Daily Living component or the DLA Care component (middle or highest rate only).

If you do not already have a qualifying benefit and you feel you might meet the criteria for PIP, it is worth considering making a claim. There's more about PIP in the sticky PIP thread.

New claims for DLA for people over 16 are not possible. DLA for adults is in the process of being replaced by PIP.

I fully understand,but would advise that maybe after a little "breather, you put in an application,after all, you have nothing to lose!
    Of course, it is too late to actually claim the old DLA, you would have to clain PIP, but you could always pop back here for some guidance
    I myself try not to have too much "paper battles" going on at the same time as I find it too exhausting, but have just picked up an old one I abandoned 4 years ago!