Thread: Charities

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Charities

Hi Everyone.
    I'm wondering if anyone knows any charities that may help us to buy or have the work done. Hubby and I live in a council bungalow. We have just redone the garden at the front, but as hubby is now almost wheelchair bound he can't get into it as there is a step from the door and a step at the gate into the garden. To put a ramp into the garden we would lose a good part of it as it is only small, so we were wondering about a small bit of decking which would be level with the door allowing him to be able to be wheeled out onto that.
    It wouldn't cost a great deal and as he is at stage 4 heart failure he is very rarely out of the house now. It certainly would improve his quality of life.
    Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Hello, you can refer yourself/husband to social services to ask for an OT assessment. They will be able to help. My OT is excellent & has helped me tremendously in getting ramps for my house which I own. Good luck, janie1971

Quote Originally Posted by DianneT View Post
    Hi Everyone.
    I'm wondering if anyone knows any charities that may help us to buy or have the work done. Hubby and I live in a council bungalow. We have just redone the garden at the front, but as hubby is now almost wheelchair bound he can't get into it as there is a step from the door and a step at the gate into the garden. To put a ramp into the garden we would lose a good part of it as it is only small, so we were wondering about a small bit of decking which would be level with the door allowing him to be able to be wheeled out onto that.
    It wouldn't cost a great deal and as he is at stage 4 heart failure he is very rarely out of the house now. It certainly would improve his quality of life.
    Thanks in advance for any ideas.
    janie is quite right you shd ask for a OT assessment, stressing its for his quality of life. But ANY alterations have to be OK'd (or not) by the landlord, in this case the council. So do get their policy on this first.
    Sometimes they will allow it (as long as they ain't paying), sometimes they won't allow any changes. Do contact the coucil/landlord FIRST>

I can't think of any charities. You could try your local Horticultural Society to see if they have any willing volunteers or members able to help out. You might also consider getting a small grant to pay for costs if it seems too much

Nationwide grants search on this site:

http://www.turn2us.org.uk/grants_search.aspx

Usually landlords are more relaxed about external in the garden, but do get permission.

And definitely get an OT assessment!

Also :http://gardeningfordisabledtrust.org...w-we-can-help/

This came up in another topic.. You have to be a member (8 quid individual) but they do grants