Thread: Following problems, can barely see from eye

Following problems, can barely see from eye

About 2 years ago, I had a fit of feeling vain (totally unlike me) and decided to try contact lenses. All was well for a whole, then due to new drug, fell asleep wearing them and was unable to remove one later. Visit to Eye Hospital followed, lens was removed by doctor muttering about silly women trying to be vain (!) and told I had corneal problems. Took drop etc, pain went but still can't read or see much through eye. Any chance of being listed partially sighted and if so, how?

Hi Miep,

In my case to be registered I was referred by my optician to my GP who then referred me to an ophthalmologist. My advice to you would be to go to your optician and take it from there.

Scotty1

I think you'll need to get a consultant opthalmologist to complete a certificate of visual impairment (CVI). That form, detailing the level of impairment, will be sent to your GP and also to social services who will, with your permission, include you on their register as either sight impaired or severely sight impaired (provided you meet the criteria).
    Last edited by catlover; 13-05-14 at 11:56.

Quote Originally Posted by miep View Post
    About 2 years ago, I had a fit of feeling vain (totally unlike me) and decided to try contact lenses. All was well for a whole, then due to new drug, fell asleep wearing them and was unable to remove one later. Visit to Eye Hospital followed, lens was removed by doctor muttering about silly women trying to be vain (!) and told I had corneal problems. Took drop etc, pain went but still can't read or see much through eye. Any chance of being listed partially sighted and if so, how?
    That doesn't sound nice.

Sounds like you were wearing soft gas permeable contact lenses. It means the lens allow air to pass through them. You are suppose to take them out at night otherwise they can dry out and stick to your cornea which sounds like what happened. That really gives me the creeps - the very thought.

I guess you are now known to be 'visually impaired'.

Sounds horrible , i get really queasy where eyes are involved. Will your eye damage improve with time or is the damage permanent?