Thread: Orthopaedic Boots

Orthopaedic Boots

Hi. I'm Dennis and I'm new here. I was wondering does anyone here have similar problems to me. Due to a spinal injury following a road accident as a child I have partial paralysis of both feet and my lower right leg. My right leg is 4cm shorter than my left too. I wear boots supplied by the hospital. They are moulded leather and fasten with three Velcro straps. I hate them. I also wear an Otto Bock carbon fibre AFO on my right leg. Although this is supportive I still don't feel as safe as when I wore my metal leather AFOs years ago. Does anyone know a supplier of traditional callipers where I could get a double below knee calliper and proper lace up boots made privately?

Hi Shortleg and welcome.

Here's a link to the Polio Foundation website that has a list of private boot makers around the country. I haven't tried any out but perhaps you could ask a company local to you if they could pass on any references from previous customers to see how satisfied with their service.

Good luck.

http://www.britishpolio.org.uk/servi...manufacturers/

NOTE - I found visiting a podiatrist was very useful to help improve my gait and reduce lower back pain through the use of insoles.

You can still get them on the NHS. I do. You can also get ordinary footwear modified, provided they are happy about it being OK for your problem. I get Doc martens done, with a raise, but they worry about resticking the soles, so maybe other makes might be better.