Thread: contribution esa to income related esa

contribution esa to income related esa

Hello all

some advice please.

I moved from incapacity 13 months ago and after atos i was put in the contribution work related esa group this ran out last month i filled a form for income related which i now get.My problem is when i was on incapacity i was recieving £110 plus add ons for wife and children which took it to £211 aweek now that i am on income related the money as gone down to £81 aweek a big drop. the contribution esa payed £130 aweek i thought people moving from incapacity would not see a drop in there money.I have a small weekly pension of £28 aweek.

Thanks for your time reading this

The "no drop in your money" transitional protection doesn't exempt you from the rule that Contributions Based ESA payments stop after 52 weeks when you are not in the Support Group.

The only way to get back to the same sort of amount is to report a change of circumstances and succeed in being moved to the Support Group. This will restart your Contributions Based ESA payments.

It is also worth checking that your Income Related ESA has been calculated correctly, as you might be entitled to a larger Income Related ESA payment now you no longer receive Contributions Based ESA.

Thanks for replying.I did a online benefit calulator and it does come to the same amount of income related esa. I recieved a new esa50 application form from Atos and sent it back last january 17th i have not heard from them yet. I detailed that my condition has got worse.The letter stating my award of income related esa does not mention work related activty. I received a few weeks ago a letter that looks like it was mocked up. Some of it printed badly some of it written in ink informing me that i am to have a telephone interview from an advisor, not named this monday this to does not mention the work related activty,just Employment Support Allowance telephone Appointment.This letter looks a bit fake the paper does not feel right the color looks paler and paper is thiner.

It would be in your interests to report a change of circumstances to DWP even though you've already filled in that ESA50. You can only be paid extra ESA from the date DWP become aware of your deterioration, which is the date they get the new assessment report if you happen to be found to have deteriorated on routine reassessment. If you report a change of circumstances, any increase can be backdated to the date of your letter.

We had a case on the forums recently where someone reported a deterioration on a routine reassessment ESA50 but did not report a change of circumstances to DWP and DWP refused to backdate the increase. Having checked the complex law on supersession of existing benefit awards, DWP's refusal to backdate appears to correct in the circumstances.

DWP increasingly use really nasty grey recycled A4 paper that's rather thin - they appear to be eliminating the non standard paper sizes they historically used in order to save money. Anyone who has had any letters in relation to PIP (by this I mean actual PIP letters, not DLA letters that mention PIP) will know the paper I'm describing.

In addition, the letter you describe, if real, may well have been locally generated at the local JobCentre Plus rather than using any sort of national template. It's quite possible the letter you describe would be handwritten onto a poorly photocopied blank on the nasty grey paper.

It sounds like the letter is a direction to undergo a Work Focused Interview, which will be done over the telephone this time. If so, this is a mandatory requirement as you are in the Work Related Activity Group - if you do not participate fully without good cause, your ESA will be subject to sanction.
    Last edited by Flymo; 12-05-14 at 10:02. Reason: Inserted a couple of missing words

Thanks for replying and explaining this for me.