Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: housing/CT benefit.

  1. #1
    Member Kate25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    88

    Question housing/CT benefit.

    Hi folks , just a quick question. I will check with my local authority once I receive my award letter, but wondered if someone could help me clarify for now.

    At home its just myself and hubby with hubs looking after me full time. My daughters pop along daily to see if they can help out with anything.
    Hubby is having medical problems of his own ( from doing stuff for me ..I am not the smallest of peeps lol)

    My middle daughter has often stayed the occasional night to help, but wont move back in fully due to us then losing part/all of our Hb/Ct benefit.

    However I have read that now I have been awarded care rate of PIP, a non dependant can move in and not affect my benefit. Is this correct? I am not sure if I have read it correctly.

    If this is correct my daughter would move back in and not worry about her part time job affecting anything. This would also help hubby out

    Any info till I get the award on paper would be gratefully received . Thanks in advance x

  2. #2
    Correct. If you get either standard or enhanced care from pip then a non dependant carer of your nomination can live with you.

    Don't do anything until you have taken your awards notice to your local council though.

  3. #3
    Member Kate25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by cookmysock View Post
    Correct. If you get either standard or enhanced care from pip then a non dependant carer of your nomination can live with you.

    Don't do anything until you have taken your awards notice to your local council though.

    Thank you. I wont be going anywhere till I get things in writing...things have a tendancy to change

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,512
    As cookmysock rightly says, you should be exempt from a non-dependent deduction because of your PIP Daily Living component, so you need to make sure the council have taken a copy of the proof of the award.

    It's worth notifying the council in writing at the time you give them proof of the award that the intention is that your daughter moves in to assist with your care, expressing your understanding that you will exempt from a non-dependent deduction because of your PIP Daily Living component. Once your daughter has moved in, you need to write in again to notify them of the date she's moved in unless your first letter contained a definite date that she was moving in.

    It's always best to make sure every change is fully recorded, so that there can be no surprises later on when the council or DWP allege you failed to notify them of something.


    Hopefully your PIP award letter drops through the letterbox soon.


    It may also be worth raising the issue of manual handling advice and support for your family members who are caring for you with your GP. It's in nobody's interests for you or your carer to be injured from manual handling.

  5. #5
    Member Kate25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    88
    I will do all that you have said above with my local authority, as I dont like getting things wrong, and with my memory I do lol !

    I will speak with my Gp about the points you raised. I am hoping to use the Pip award to purchase the extra medical aids (like to help me get out of bed etc) to benefit not only myself but to go a long way to help my hubby and save him the stress and strain

    Thank you Flymo

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,512
    You might be able to persuade the NHS to let you have some equipment on indefinite loan for as long as you need it, but this is not always easy.

    I have an electrically profiling bed with a bed loop (that is fixed to the side - you pull on it to help get you out of bed) and an alternating air pressure relief mattress from the local NHS community equipment service. However, it took a huge amount of fighting, the involvement of specialist neurological and respiratory physiotherapists as well as my GP, brinkmanship and almost a year of effort and upset to get this sorted out.

    If my assessed needs in relation to breathing, pressure relief, muscle problems and pain relief weren't so expensive to meet (the mattress alone is around £1500), I'd probably have given up and bought the equipment myself.

    Ultimately, you and your family must decide how best to use the money you receive to look after all your needs (financial and otherwise).

  7. #7
    Senior Member beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,010
    Get an assessment from your social services adult care. You self refer and they will do a carers assessment too. They will also possibly provide aids such as you describe to try and keep if they are any good. No point in wasting money on things that look good but don't work

  8. #8
    Member Kate25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Get an assessment from your social services adult care. You self refer and they will do a carers assessment too. They will also possibly provide aids such as you describe to try and keep if they are any good. No point in wasting money on things that look good but don't work
    Ooh thank you ! Valuable information that I will indeed follow up. This is what I love about this forum...plenty of helpful advice that I for one gratefully receive

  9. #9
    Member Kate25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    You might be able to persuade the NHS to let you have some equipment on indefinite loan for as long as you need it, but this is not always easy.

    I have an electrically profiling bed with a bed loop (that is fixed to the side - you pull on it to help get you out of bed) and an alternating air pressure relief mattress from the local NHS community equipment service. However, it took a huge amount of fighting, the involvement of specialist neurological and respiratory physiotherapists as well as my GP, brinkmanship and almost a year of effort and upset to get this sorted out.

    If my assessed needs in relation to breathing, pressure relief, muscle problems and pain relief weren't so expensive to meet (the mattress alone is around £1500), I'd probably have given up and bought the equipment myself.

    Ultimately, you and your family must decide how best to use the money you receive to look after all your needs (financial and otherwise).
    I have family who fought like yourself for years to get this kind of stuff and it was awful. I wont be going for all expensive stuff like that though, grab rail type things etc for the bedroom will be the basis. My bed is fine, its my body thats the problem ha ha

    thank you flymo

Similar Threads

  1. Housing benefit help please
    By bigboyads in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-09-14, 18:01
  2. Why Do All Benefit Calculators Say I Can't Have Housing Benefit?
    By woodbine in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-01-14, 18:07
  3. ESA and Housing Benefit
    By clarencecourt in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-12-13, 21:58
  4. housing benefit
    By debbie1 in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-05-12, 08:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •