Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should DLA be classed as income on my ESA claim ??

Should DLA be classed as income on my ESA claim ??

Hi all morning I am on ESA contributions based and added my husband to the claim this week due to him losing his job I did all this over the phone with the benefits office . My new award has arrived today and as a couple we get £87 a week as they classing my dla as income ?? Have they made a mistake ?? I got more monies on my own Can add more info is required thanks for any replies

Contributions Based ESA does not pay any additional money for a couple.

It sounds as if you need to contact DWP and ask to be assessed jointly for Income Related ESA. They will likely send out an ESA3 form, which is about income and capital including savings. You must declare your DLA on this form, but it is ignored when determining your entitlement to benefit.

Your husband may well be entitled to Contributions Based JSA in his own right. If so, he should claim it, as any Income Related ESA calculation is likely to assume he is receiving Contributions Based JSA under what is know as the notional income rules.

If you have middle or highest rate Care DLA and nobody currently receives Carer's Allowance for looking after you, your husband should seriously consider claiming Carer's Allowance rather than Contributions Based JSA.

As a married couple, only one of you can claim means-tested benefits such as Income Related ESA and Housing Benefit - you will both be included in one claim. Other benefits are personal, so there is no bar to you both receiving a Contributions Based benefit.

As you can probably tell, this is a relatively complex situation and you may well have several options. I recommend you get an entitlement check from a local advice provider such as a local authority welfare rights project (if you have one) or Citizen's Advice.

This my new award for income related esa, i have subbmited a claim for him to be my carer and awaiting award , as we had previously claimed as a couple a year ago ! This new claim includes help with mortgage and service charge! And is $100 less a week than my old claim , as it says $113 classed as income from my dla?? Does not seem right to me ! Thank you for the super fast reply flymo

Sorry i cannot locate a pound sign on my phone hence the $

So i need to contact the benefits office on tuesday to clarify? Should my DLA be classed as income on my joint income related ESA claim ? I have found my old claim it wasn't classed as income then ? Thank you for any replies

Your DLA will not be classed as income when your IR payments are calculated, but you must inform them of all income you receive.

As Jard says, DLA (and PIP) are completely disregarded when it comes to deductions from means-tested benefits, but you must declare it on the paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    As Jard says, DLA (and PIP) are completely disregarded when it comes to deductions from means-tested benefits, but you must declare it on the paperwork.
    The break down is like this for my new award which is a new joint claim for my husband on my claim they did all the claim over the phone on Thursday got new joint award today in post

Living Expenses for you and your partner £113.70
    Extra Money because of disability Income Guarantee £22.35
    Extra money because you are in a support group £35.75
    Extra money towards your housing £54.92

Which gives a total of income related amount £226.72

Income and Benefits

DLA-MOBIL COMP for you
    is not counted as income towards Employment and support allowance

Other income £113.33

The first £53.41 is not counted

DLA- Care comp for
    is not counted as income towards Employment and Support allowance £113.33

Your total income
    £113.33

Your total income related amount is £226.72 less the total of £113.33

So your income- related entitlement is £113.39

DEDUCTIONS TAKEN FROM YOUR EMPLOYMENT AND SUPPORT ALLOWANCE

£24.30 for your housing costs Total deductions

So the amount you are going to get each week is £89.09

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

This is exactly how the award notice is wrote with the typos etc! I am very confused is my contribution based ESA payed on top of this ??? I am so much worse off now !

Sorry to keep messaging I am so worried about this and cannot do anything till Tuesday

Once again thanks for any replies or advice

The problem appears to be the mysterious "Other income", which you will likely have to ask DWP to explain. As the latest says, your DLA is not counted as income.

Thanks Flymo Does this claim include my contributions esa sorry if I am being thick The amount is not even the same as my DLA that states other income ?? I am on middle rate care and low rate mobility that isn't £113 ??