Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Margate Pet Shop owner told me I am not allowed in her shop in my wheelchair

Yes, but then she still gets away with it, as do some others. We lose out in the end.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

denny collins
    The fact that you have a scooter may be a problem. Wheelchairs and electric wheelchairs are undoubtedly allowed into shops, but scooters are I beieve, at the discetion of the shop manager. Now if access is denied to a wheelchair user, that is 'discrimination'. Discrimination is a 'Criminal Act' Dial 101. get the police, they must arrest the person who is breaking the law..

I have an electric wheelchair, not a scooter, I can't use scooter as I can only use my left arm/hand.
    A Margate Council official looked into the Descrination Act and found that I would have to take a. Civil action against the shop owner.

That it the problem here, & with most of the Act. It is a criminal offence, so why can the police not act, why do Councils not act?
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

We are going to request that the owner of the pet shop to accept mediation through the Equality and Human Rights commission, but before we do, my Mum visited the shop once more to see if the owner had made any positive changes to her shop that will allow wheelchair access, since our last visit with the with the Mayor of Margate.
    What my Mum saw made her very angry, as not only had she ignored our complaints about the obstructions in her shop , she had now built a five foot wall with boxes of dried dog food from the shop entrance up to the shelving fixtures in the center of the shop, leaving just enough room for a very thin person to walk through, the wall even blocks access to the very same corner of the shop that she said that I should sit in my wheelchair and wait for her to serve me!
    My Mum said that even if I could get my wheelchair into the corner, the boxes are stacked too high for the shop keeper to see me. My Mum said to her '" this is wrong and you think you are beyond the law"!
    We have sent a complaint to the Mayor saying that this time there is no doubt that Paw Prince Pet Shop has contravened Health and Safety, not just for disabled people but for any child or elderly person who could be injured or killed if the boxes fell on them!
    Last edited by Christine; 06-02-12 at 17:56.

Good luck. Seems like she wants to be awkward.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Bigalan
    I have just joined the forum and seen your post, the woman should be ashamed of herself. I am disabled and have a Quingo sport
    scooter which is rather large, all my local shops are very obliging to me, I wait outside and they come out and ask me what I want, my
    local supermarket is no problem as there's plenty of room, even going to the doctors is no problem, I can drive my scooter right in, there are push buttons to open the doors, some people are so unconsiderate, I would'nt shop there again. Bigalan.

I think in a scooter you have to be prepared to wait outside in most shops, for obvious reasons of course. A lot of places are helpful. A wheelchair & user is different though. Glad you can get into yor doctor's, we cannot as the doors are too heavy.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

I have not been able to talk about the mediation because of confidentiality.
    The Equalities Mediation Service set up a mediation meeting with the owner of the Paw Prince pet shop and myself and my Mum. The meeting took place on May 15th 2012. The Mediation agenda items were;
    1. What happened in the Paw Prince pet shop
    2. How access could be improved for wheelchair access to the aisles and the till area
    3. For the owner of Paw Prince pet shop to have an awareness of disability needs
    4. An apology from the owner of the shop
    5. Compensation
    Each agenda item was resolved and a good will gesture was agreed.

Neither myself nor my Mum were not very hopeful for a resolution at the mediation meeting recommended and provided by the Equality & Human Rights Commision, as we felt we had previously tried to resolve this ourselves, in particular refering to the dissapointing outcome from the meeting set up and attended by the Mayor of Margate. However the Equalities Mediation Service exceeded our expectations and were able to resolve our compaints. We would recommend to anyone who suffers from disability discrimination to take this same route if it is offered to you (unless you are able to afford court action). The outcome of the meeting was that we felt we had taken control of our situation and with the assistance of the Mediator we were able to come to a full and final settlement with the owner of the petshop.
    The unfortunate thing is that the Coalition Goverment cuts to the EHRC has resulted in this mediation service being withdrawn, which is disgraceful considering that this appears to be the only help that the EHRC were able to offer us.
    The law is there to protect us from discrimination but the EHRC which is the only organisation set up to help us... HAS NO TEETH AT ALL !

I personally would make a complaint to the local council, who employ street wardens to stop this from happening, and the police. A criminal offence has been committed by the shop keeper and like it or not the police have to respond to it. It is the same as if the shop keeper had said "I don't want you in my shop because you are black". A 'dutch warning' from a police officer may change the shop keepers attitude. Or he may say something that force the police to actually prosecute him. The law states that a shop MUST leave a gap of 36 inches between aisles for wheelchair access. As info a club in Chatham that had access down some stairs was fined £5000 for refusing a wheelchair bound person access in 2005. Too many offences of this type are allowed to happen because, like yourself, the person does not want the added stress. But if we disabled ourselves don't force action, nobody else will. I have taken this action myself and had an appropriate response from the police because the person involved said he didn't want sp***s in his premises when the police were talking to him.