Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Margate Pet Shop owner told me I am not allowed in her shop in my wheelchair

What a horrible excuse for a human being this pet shop owner must be! I know you don't want any fuss but i would be so tempted to go to my local paper and show her up in the press.I personally hope the shop floor falls through..with her in it at the time.Sorry..i am not a bitter person...but i hate racists and bullies.

Even when we make a fuss we rarely get anywhere. It seems no one who is suppose to uphold, impose, fine, punish, etc, those breaking these laws (And they are laws usually) will actually do anything. It is not considered important, or they do not think it will win them votes.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Hi
    This is not fair one should be allowed
    If some person in disabled then how should one do his/her jobs alone?
    Its totally against human rights

This is often life though.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Hiya,

Firstly what an appauling situation and I am very sorry you have gone all the way through this something something should have been rsolved long ago. There is a probelm though isn't there, its around this reasonable adjustment bit. As a vosia;;u o,[aored [erspm I have to cope with poorly liad out stores all of the time - not only small shops but even the very largest retailers make VI peoples life hell! Reasonable adjust doesn't mean they have to make everything fully accessible it means they have to treat you in an equal manner or in a manner that makes adjustment for poor access, a doctor who is in a surgery which is upstairs with no lift could be rightly expected to make a home visit to a person in a wheelchair whereas they would tell a person able to easily climb the stairs to come to the surgery. So in a way making a space to "park" a wheelchair or a buggy and then offering to shop for you could easily be seen as making a reasonable adjustment. However, is there any chance getting this back to that level is ever likely to happen, I guess not.

Whilst it is in my head may I give everyone a warning, remember be very careful what you write in blogs, remember the lible laws they do apply to blogs!!!

My best advice to you, well it would be to go to the local TV comapny and get them to come with you to the shop, have some thoughts about going to Rogue Traders or one of the day time programmes who pick up on these issues, have it on film. Also think about approaching the pet food manufacturers, long shot but they may be able to put pressure. Also who owns the shop, not the retailer, the building, whats their responsibility in all of this. Is there any licensing rules this shop is breaking, also have you thought about doing some research in that road into what people with buggies and disabilities think about accessing the shops there, be sure not to block the pavement though in doing that, you could then pass that information to the local press - ask broad questions though, however you could ask "do you have any problems with specific shops, get it into the papers and to the town councils.

Just some thoughs,

Good luck.

Chris

Equality and Human Rights has replied to my MP, Laura Sandys about the pet shop owner

Our MP, Laura Sandys, has forwarded to my Mum the response she received from the Equality and Human Rights Commission, after my Mum sent an email letting our MP know what happened during our last visit to the Margate pet shop accompanied by the Mayor of Margate. When our MP said that she had read this with great concern and would forward my Mum's correspondence to the E&HRC, my Mum wasn't very hopeful that our MP would get any better response than she did when this all began in August 2010 and my Mum first contacted the Commission.
    However Laura Sandys did get a better response, she received a letter from a Director at the E&HRC, who told our MP that she was also "concerned to hear about the treatment that I and my Mum had received from the owner of the Margate pet shop, and was further concerned to hear about the subsequent treatment we received in trying to resolve this issue with the assistance of the town Mayor". The Director provided a detailed explanation of Part 3 of the Equality Act 2010 and in particular pointed out a more detailed account of Section 20 of the Act which states that, the service provider has a duty to make reasonable adjustments for disabled people in relation to the services they provide and to anticipate the needs of potential disabled customers, simply ensuring that some access is available, would not be sufficient to meet their duty to make reasonable adjustments to that enjoyed by the rest of the public and to a standard normally offered to the public at large. The Director also went on to say that "where there is a physical feature or obstructions (such as the parrot food etc. in the aisle, it puts the disabled person at a substantial disadvantage compared with people who are not disabled.
    The Director also offered us a mediation service which is independent and free of charge ( this possibility of mediation, had not previously been disclosed to us during my Mum's early correspondence with E&HRC), Our case would be referred to Mediation Works, a company contracted by the Commission. Of course the service is reliant on the pet shop owner agreeing to enter into mediation and a successful outcome can't be guaranteed.
    The E&HRC Director, has also offered to write to the shop owner with the details of the complaint and stating that there has been a breach of the Equality Act and asking the owner to consider mediation to resolve this complaint. She has also given my Mum a phone number which will give her access to a Casework and Litigation Officer for further advise. My Mum has called the number and left a voice message ..... we are waiting for a return call.

|Well, some good news there, do go for it, if you can. I am still not happy your Council is not prepared to enforce the law, they have a duty to. I would still consider contacting Health & Safety & the Environmental Health as there is a safety issue here, fo disabled people under the act, & also disabled people in general.

Good luck, & do let us know what happens. You are willing to push this, that is great.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

We have also emailed the Mayor of Margate to keep her updated about the response our MP received from the E&HRC with the possibility of mediation with the pet shop owner. My Mum is very keen to take this up, as she says that she can't put up with the unfairness of it all and says that she feels that it is unfair and against her human rights that she can be treated in such a bullying way and not allowed to go into this shop with her daughter just because the shop keeper deliberately puts obstacles to prevent wheelchair around the shop, when in fact there is plenty of room for us to go round together. My Mum says that with an ageing population and power chairs affordable for many disabled people, Shops, Banks, Cafe's, Restaurants etc should take warning about making their premises accessible for wheelchairs as my mum often doesn't go into shops where she has to ask me to wait outside in my wheelchair.
    Also she wants to reply to Densley who thoughtfully commented "to be very careful what you write in blogs, remember the libel laws they do apply to blogs!!!" She would welcome the pet shop owner to take her to court for libel as the shop owner would have to prove that what is being said about her and her son/husband, was not true .... but as they have repeated the same things they said to us, in the presence of the Mayor of Margate, they would find in court that they wouldn't have a leg to stand on (xcuse the pun;-).

Fighting back can be the best or the worst thing. In this case it is a good thing because it gives us power, even when someone it still trying to take that power away. I do not know if you & your mother can win on this, but it sends a message to someone, somewhere, that we are here. It is just so sad that no one is willing to uphold the law that was created for us.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

johnnybgood
    I would just go and tell her to feck off like Mrs Brown does. Just say I will go somewhere else and you have lost a potential good customer. Is it really worth bothering taking it up through the law? She is just an ignorant woman. If I lived in Margate I'd go tell her myself!