Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Big Event - EventCity, Manchester (Fri 16 May - Sat 17 May)

I will get photoshop elements when I can get a good deal (tesco were selling it for just over £30 end of last year) but I also need a new computer (would love an iMac) so 1 thing at a time! I also fancy the 18-135 kit lens that comes with the 70d as it's a good lens and would complement my 70-300 lens well. Then I want a proper macro lens and I do drool at the idea of a 400 lens. Expensive hobby photography!

One big shortcoming of older digital SLRs compared to newer models is the much poorer sensitivity of the older sensors.

My main body is still a venerable Canon EOS 20D, which still works to its original specification. However, in some of the situations where I use it, especially event photography indoors using only available light, the relatively high noise floor is limiting even with the f/2.8 lenses I have access to.

ISO 400 is the fastest sensitivity setting without objectionable noise on the 20D. ISO 800 is bearable, but ISO 1600 and 3200 are "do it if there really is no alternative". I haven't seen a detailed comparison, but I'd expect a 70D to manage similar performance at ISO 3200 (3 stops faster) and possibly at ISO 6400 (4 stops faster) to the 20D at ISO 400.

When you're throwing everything you have at the shot in appalling light, a 3 stop gain is huge. 3 stops gets you from 1/10s shutter speed to 1/80s, making a shot that is almost impossible to hand hold without camera shake into the range that is usually pretty easy to hand hold without motion blur. It will also allow you a blend of reducing shutter speed and reducing aperture - shooting at the long end of a 70-200mm lens, f/2.8 doesn't give you much depth of field to play with.

I'll use fill-in flash when appropriate, but sometimes it simply isn't acceptable, such as shooting during a church service (if you can get permission to shoot at all). Other times, you're trying to capture the scene under the venue lighting rig, not lose all the atmosphere and much of the sense of depth that comes from shadow by lighting the frame with a big white flash pop fired head on.

Other reasons to move on from the 20D when I can afford to do so are the 20D's noisy shutter and the lack of any video options including live view on the LCD screen (which is purely for review).

My 20D has been an excellent body, but it's not surprising things have moved on after five generations.

Lighttouch - I agree with you on the futility of the megapixel race. I'd far rather have an 8 megapixel sensor with excellent sensitivity and low noise than a 18 megapixel sensor that has dreadful low light performance and terrible noise artefacts in anything other than bright sunlight. It's very unlikely that a consumer lens has the resolving power to get much beyond 8 megapixel performance anyway, especially the tiny and cheap optics in something like a mobile phone camera. Even professional lenses have their limits.

Those who need extreme digital resolution, such as those shooting images for advertising posters, will typically be using digital medium format if they have the budget (insanely expensive - you're talking the price of a family car for a camera body) or the high end Canon or Nikon professional bodies, probably with good prime lenses.

Unfortunately, in the 'bigger numbers = better product' world in which we live, we get absurdly high pixel count sensors because it's what the market demands, even though it's not what the market is best served by. About the only time I've felt the limits of 8 megapixels is when I'm doing some extreme cropping to rescue a fleeting shot taken when I had too short a lens mounted on the body.

I totally agree about the pixel thing. It makes me laugh when mobile phones are advertised with an insane number of megapixels.

Well Catlover it might be your day. I only use Applemacs. My old computers are with family or friends. The first one I bought was an LC, I've had G3's and G4s too.

The one I use now is a 27inch Appleimac which is ideal.

Thinking outside the box I also have another Appleimac 24 inch Core 2 Duo. 2.4GHZ, 2G RAM with superdrive I believe. It's sat in the spare room doing nothing. Loads of memory to number crunch. It's also got a full version of Photoshop (CS version) and other Applications like indesign, illustrator and microsoft office all in perfect working order.

If your flashing the cash make me an offer for about £600 and it's yours. Happy to let you see/try it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apple imac 24 inch.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	971

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k..._6jmcsr88t5_pp
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 20-05-14 at 07:08.

I think Catlover is in shock. Lol .
    Remember it's the thought that counts.
    The offer is still open to anyone interested in obtaining cutting edge technology that is easy to use.

Sorry I missed this Lighttouch. I've been ill the past few weeks so only been dipping in and out quickly. That is a very kind offer and I'll let you know if I win the lottery! Or get a nice PIP backpayment (I can live in hope!). Unfortunately I will probably just end up with buying some extra disk space for my Dell lappy.

I never did post any photos did I!

Well Catlover it's good to have you back FELINE bright eyed and bushy tailed. I'm glad nothing CATastrophic happened. Nothing worse when you're feeling PAWly.

Hope you're FELINE PURRfect now.

Sorry, it's just soooo tempting. LOL

I know - you just can't get the staff!!

Now where's that roll the eyes smiley...