Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PIP Enhanced Mobility query

removed

PIP Enhanced Mobility query

Hi,

I have a quick query that someone may be able to help me with. It in regards to the PIP Enhanced Mobility. Tried finding the answer online but got nowhere.

Background:

Lady who is 41 years old has osteoarthritis in her joint. She can walk more than 20 m however severe discomfort starts as soon as she moves but she has no choice but to walk. Consultants won't go down the route of knee replacement as she is too young for her to be considered for it.

My question is even though she can move more than 20m, is any walking when severe discomfort begins excluded. I know DLA excluded any walking after severe discomfort started.

She has not applied for DLA, but now since her pain has become a lot worse she is considering applying for PIP but wants to know if it is worth it.

I would appreciate any help on this. I have tried telling her to go to CAB etc but she doesn't feel comfortable. She is the type that doesn't complain, so that is why I am on here.

Thanks in advance

The important question is: Can she do it repeatedly? If not, that counts as being unable to walk more than 20 mtrs.
    The discomfort itself may be enough though.

removed
    Thanks for your reply. Yes she can do it repeatedly, but that's out of necessity. She takes Di-hydrocodeine tablets for the pain, but it is still painful as soon as she moves.

That's why I don't know if she'll be entitled, the only issue she states is that it is painful for her to walk but she has no choice but to walk.

Hi Toolook hows her pace ? thought if it took twice as long as the average person that counted for something

removed
    Quote Originally Posted by acheron View Post
    Hi Toolook hows her pace ? thought if it took twice as long as the average person that counted for something
    It takes about a time and a half of a normal person. She doesn't use aids.

The problem is she 'looks normal' but since being diagnosed in late 2000's, her pain has become much worse in the past few months. The thing that is worrying me, is if she looks normal, ATOS will say she is fine.

well if her pain has become worse over these last few months she may need some aids (not for benefit purposes but for her own good and they may take some pressure off her knees and help to stop it deteriorating more quickly )

I do think it's worth a try for her as walking in pain is not something anyone should have to suffer if there's help that can be given xx

removed
    Quote Originally Posted by acheron View Post
    well if her pain has become worse over these last few months she may need some aids (not for benefit purposes but for her own good and they may take some pressure off her knees and help to stop it deteriorating more quickly )

I do think it's worth a try for her as walking in pain is not something anyone should have to suffer if there's help that can be given xx
    The problem is she doesn't want to 'look' disabled as she doesn't want peoples pity. Further, she is the type that doesn't complain, no matter how much pain she is.

If anyone else has any thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by removed; 30-04-14 at 13:56.

If its physical then surely scans, test reports should confirm things for them. Has she had any xrays, scans etc that she could send as evidence? Would a consultant confirm the diagnosis and prognosis etc.

I would just tell it like it is and if she is awarded mobility at lower rate then she can always appeal it in the manadatory reconsideration.

Also just looked up osteoarthritis and walking (exercise) is actually "good" for this condition so it says so don't know how that would pan out in claiming.
    Last edited by KAREN SV; 30-04-14 at 14:48.

removed
    Quote Originally Posted by KAREN SV View Post
    If its physical then surely scans, test reports should confirm things for them. Has she had any xrays, scans etc that she could send as evidence? Would a consultant confirm the diagnosis and prognosis etc.

I would just tell it like it is and if she is awarded mobility at lower rate then she can always appeal it in the manadatory reconsideration.
    The last scan she has was back in 2009. Consultant no longer involved in care since then (stated that apart from surgery, there was nothing they could do - told her if it got worse to arrange a referral through GP at that time).

Has been referred to physiotherapist for exercises recently but apart from that she has not had any Consultant involvement. She has had a recent GP visit but that was to prescribe painkillers.

Quote Originally Posted by toolook View Post
    The last scan she has was back in 2009. Consultant no longer involved in care since then (stated that apart from surgery, there was nothing they could do - told her if it got worse to arrange a referral through GP at that time).

Has been referred to physiotherapist for exercises recently but apart from that she has not had any Consultant involvement. She has had a recent GP visit but that was to prescribe painkillers.
    Maybe the best bet would be to ask on the osteoarthritis sites for some help in filling in the form and get it off with her 2009 report and state it has worsened. Its such a shame when she is so young but if she fits the criteria for claiming then she should try to claim but first get advice perhaps going by my own experience of the system.