Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with people?

What's wrong with people?

I've almost been run over twice this lunchtime trying to cross the road outside my workplace. I can't cross any road in the time allotted at crossings but usually traffic has the decency to wait until I've made it before they proceed. But not today. When crossing in both directions I was only half way across the road when the traffic lights changed and cars started to move off. Each time a vehicle drove by nearly clipping my heels. What sort of idiot just keeps on coming when there's a disabled person in the middle of the road? I would have gone over the second time of not for another person grabbing my arm. There's nothing like a car coming straight at you to make you stumble and trip but some people seem too ignorant to grasp that. Others think it's ok if they drive about a metre from you not thinking how scary it is to have a car drive past that close, especially when you're a bit wobbly on your pins.

Ok, rant over.

I get this all the time, for a start I think that the green man should last a little longer and then there,s the drivers that seem to think, well the lights have changed, she needs to hurry up,but i can,t
    I am right with you on this rant!

Me too, the green man never gives me enough time to get across the road.

Same here..I was nearly ran over, when clearly struggling to cross the road on two crutches..It was a green man, as well.

What did a driver do? Swore, shouted abuse at me and then pretty much tried to run me over. I have to admit, I *accidently* caught his back light with one of my crutches. He was oblivious because he didn't stop! I went on to have a panic attack, followed by an asthma attack because I couldn't breathe and forgot my inhaler.

*grumbles obscenities about the idiots who are impatient*

The newer Puffin crossings monitor occupancy of the crossing using sensors, unlike the old Pelican crossings which extinguish the green man based solely on a timer. New installations of Pelican crossings are not allowed, but there is no requirement to upgrade existing Pelican crossings to Puffin crossings.

Trivia point: Puffin stands for Pedestrian User Friendly INtelligent crossing (and yes, I know that only has one F).

Can't post the link as I'm hopeless with these things but if you google 'YouTube old lady road rage revenge' will raise a smile .

I am with everyone else on this problem.
    There is never enough time to cross. Some roads are wider than others to cross but there does not seem to be allowances made for this. The time given seems the same. Drivers sit there, revving their engines and start to inch forward etc. As soon as the lights start to change, they are off and don't seem to care if you are still crossing.
    Luckily, I am almost always in my wheelchair when out and about, so my partner pushes me across. Before I used to use my wheelchair so much and was using walking sticks, I was always half way across when the lights changed.
    The weird thing is, when trying to cross where there is no crossing, a lot of drivers have stopped and let us cross, waiting patiently whilst we do so.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    The newer Puffin crossings monitor occupancy of the crossing using sensors, unlike the old Pelican crossings which extinguish the green man based solely on a timer. New installations of Pelican crossings are not allowed, but there is no requirement to upgrade existing Pelican crossings to Puffin crossings.

Trivia point: Puffin stands for Pedestrian User Friendly INtelligent crossing (and yes, I know that only has one F).
    The older Pelican crossings have a period after the green man where the green man flashes and the drivers have a flashing amber which means "Go if there is nobody on the crossing". Then when the green light comes for the traffic, it does not mean "Go", it means "Go if it is safe to do so". Many drivers forget this.

The time for the solid green should be 1.5 times what it takes for a person of average walking spped and the flashing should be another 1 times, so overall should be 2.5 times what an average person takes to cross (based on 1 mile every 20 minutes, or 90 yards per minute, you should have about 1.6 seconds for every yard).

Trivia Point: Pelican stands for PEdestrian LIght CONtrol, but they changed the O for an A to make a word.

Another note on this, I was almost ran over by somebody on a Zebra crossing a few weeks ago...He completely failed to stop, had to swerve to miss me!

Yes, I did report him. What he did was dangerous as he swerved into another car - No damaged caused, luckily.

People revving and showing other impatience on a Crossing is actually an offence.
    I spent many years as an Police Officer and a Special prior to my illness and dealt with quite a few of these. Just take the Registration Number and date and time of the offence and report it to a Officer. They will probably report the driver to court, where they could get anything from a slapped wrist to points. I do recall one chap who sat revving the car, then wheel span over the crossing before the person had crossed. In court he was found guilty of driving without due care and attention and attained 6 points on his licence.
    Be aware though that if they deny the offence then you will have to go to court....