Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kerbed wheel on my courtesy car :(

Kerbed wheel on my courtesy car :(

My motability car was recently written off and i was given a courtesy car from motability via enterprise, ive just noticed that i have kerbed one of the wheels, ive had the car for a little over 2 months as im waiting for delivery of my new car, Does anybody know if they charge you for kerbing the wheels? im really worried as all my money has gone towards the AP on my new car, do you know if they charge for the wheel if you can claim this from my motability insurance?

If I were you I'd say nothing.

When you say 'kerned the wheel' I assume you've just scrapped a bit of the wheel without damaging the tyre.

As you have already written off a car, assuming you were at fault, then the less claims you make the better your chance of being let back on the scheme three years from now.

RSA are the insurance company who dictate who they allow on Motability. Even if you made a claim you'll have another black mark against your name.

If the damage is minimal then say nothing. If enterprise spot the damage and ask you to pay it will be through them as that's who you signed a contract with. Check your paperwork with Enterprise to find out how much you need to pay upfront.

If you can put things right out of your own money.

Sounds to me like you might benefit from joining your local 'advanced driving' club to bring your driving up to scratch.

The third party admitted full liability to writing my car off, Ive been a motability customer for 13 years and never had a fault claim either, The problem now is i don't have any spare cash as i have put it all towards my AP on my new car. The damage is pretty minor but i don't know how strict they are i don't want to mention it to motabilty yet in case they don't notice it when collecting it but if they do i would like to know if i can claim it through motability as i think i recall them telling me its still motability who insure you on the courtecy car.

I wouldn't say anything if it's just scuffing the wheel trim - call it fair wear and tear. If you've scratched paintwork or dented the bodywork then you may need to come clean.

You've signed a hire agreement with Enterprise so they would have outlined in the policy your responsibilities. Check out how much you need to pay out for any claim. With Motabilty it's the first £75 - with Enterprise it could be the first £100 - check the small print. They would have offered you, at an extra cost, something that would have covered you for any up front costs in cases of a claim.

RSA and Motabilty have nothing to do with Enterprise in your case.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    RSA and Motabilty have nothing to do with Enterprise in your case.
    That's not necessarily the case. As mandyboops has indicated, it may well be that Enterprise were contracted by Motability to supply a car without the usual insurance that Enterprise would supply on a retail hire agreement, with RSA Motability insuring it in place of her written off car. If that is the case, she drives under the terms of her RSA Motability insurance, as amended by those policy clauses applying to courtesy cars.

Don't mention it, as the others have said - it would be up to Enterprise to prove you caused the damage.

That is, I assume they walked you around the courtesy car pointing out any scratches and scrapes before you drove off?
    If they didn't, then they don't have a leg to stand on.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

As someone who works for RSA Motability (don't worry, im not a spy , I found these forums for my own family needs ), I would recommend you report it. As you are driving a car arranged by, albeit not provided by, Motability (if your car is written off, im assuming the Enterprise car was sorted by Motability themselves and not RSA? RSA involvement in terms of courtesy cars tends to come to an end once a car is written off ), in good faith.

If you have damaged the car, you should tell them, because Enterprise can sometimes be very picky about damage like this. I know someone wrote above “its up to Enterprise to prove you did it”. The point there, is that they often can prove it, from a technical point of view, quite easily.

They give the cars a damage inspection prior to handing over to the customer, for precisely that reason, as well as getting the customers to sign a document called a vehicle condition report agreeing to the condition of the car at hand over. They will simply go back to the forms you filled in and if the marks weren’t noted on those forms beforehand, they will blame you. They are pretty blunt about that when they want to be.

Also, unfortunately, the "wear and tear" option, is not always infact an option-it is sometimes with the Motability car itself, but not so much when it comes to courtesy cars because ultimately, the car belongs to Enterprise, not RSA or Motability, so “wear and tear” isn’t up to Motability because they would be making that decision for a car they don’t own.

An interesting fact people don't always realise, is that the only car that Motability actually 100% owns, is the Motability car itself. Not the courtesy cars. Of course, Enterprise might turn around and say “that’s fine, we will polish it out, forget about it”. Sometimes they will, sometimes they wont. Sadly because RSA and Motability have relatively little involvement in an Enterprise car when you are in this weird sort of limbo between having one car written off and another car provided, its kind of a case of Enterprise calling the shots, not Motability.

To be honest though, its worth reporting it regardless of all the above, because it will probably come to light anyway. We get this quite often in RSA, where people phone us up, shocked that they have got a letter from Enterprise, a few weeks or months later asking them to basically pay up or report it to Motability. Save yourself the shock and hassle, and let Motability know (I wouldn’t bother calling RSA because it doesn’t sound like they are actually involved with this particular car. Motability will tell you if you need to call Enterprise directly, or if they will tell them for you)
    Last edited by Elephant123; 24-04-14 at 21:20.

What I actually said was "it would be up to Enterprise to prove you caused the damage" with the caveat that a pre-inspection check had not been carried out.

If an inspection had been carried out - and they had given you a copy then yes you should inform them, but I have known Enterprise to be scumbags and try and appoint blame to drivers for damage which was there originally (I have had dealings with them many years ago, pre-disability).

Thanks for your input though, it's very useful to have someone from the inside on these forums, welcome.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Paul, that does have a certain ring to it. Enterprise - your friendly scumbag care hire service - eager to rip you off.

Unless the damage done was eye waveringly obvious I wouldn't bother telling Enterprise. You might find that they will carry out a post car delivery check-up on return of the car in your presence - in which case they'll highlight the issue then.

As the RSA person said it really has nothing to do with RSA/Motability.

Good luck
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 25-04-14 at 01:58.

If the car is with Enterprise, then it will have been arranged by the third party's insurance company, and probably insured on their standard policy. They most likely used an intermediary called AI.

All Motability's hire cars (whether arranged through Motability, RSA or RAC) are with Europcar/National.