Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Discrimination

  1. #1

    Angry Discrimination

    My housing association are trying everything they can to not move us. They are saying that I can sleep in a normal single bed. I have spinal injury's and night time spasms. Can they make me sleep in their choice of bed just so they can fit two single beds into our double bedroom, there for not have to move my family: confused:?
    Last edited by chrissie141010; 22-04-14 at 09:57.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Not sure I fully understand what you're asking here. Are you trying to get a house with an extra room as your spasms disturb your OH's sleep? I'm no expert on housing but would imagine if 2single beds would fit in the room and solve the problem then the problem is resolved.

    If you were going on holiday would you need to book 2 single rooms? If you were in hospital would you need a larger bed than a single. To manage the spasms.

    Most nights I disturb my OH due to severe leg cramps from severe PVD , and have to quickly move to get my legs out the bed so gravity improves the blood supply. Not ideal as he's up at 6 am every morning to be able to travel to work 90 minutes car and 2 train journeys from where we live.

    Maybe if you can give a bit more detail things would be a bit clearer for people to advise

  3. #3
    Senior Member Lighttouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    I'd be hopeless in a single bed as I have jumping leg syndrome and I'm a restless sleeper who prefers to try and sleep in star shapes. lol

    Sometimes I can successfully eject myself from a double bed if I swing my legs out to the side too enthusiastically. There's still blood on the carpet where my head squashed against the duvan base!!

    I would tell anyone where to go if they started to dictate what bed suits you in their interests. You need a double bed in one room and a single bed in another if you have a PA stay overnight in my opinion.

    I'm guessing that your initial question relates to the so called bedroom tax.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    It's hard to comment without knowing a bit more about the situation.

    Housing associations allocate housing according to their allocations policy. This will dictate who gets medical priority for rehousing and what additional facilities they are entitled to. Unfortunately, the long waiting lists that most social landlords have means that there are often many others with medical priority points in the queue in front of you, and it can take years for a more suitable property to become available. As Lighttouch says, there's also possible "bedroom tax" issues if you moved to a larger property.

    The difficulties and costs of moving suggests it is worth taking all reasonable steps to solve the problems where you are, but there is a point where the solution offered is not reasonable.

    So far as what you need goes, have you had an assessment from an occupational therapist or physiotherapist? If asked, what solution would your doctors support?

    Most of all - what do you want?

Similar Threads

  1. Disability discrimination in workplace
    By Nellygwyn in forum Work - help & advice on work, training, jobs for disabled people
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22-07-14, 07:17
  2. Worried about discrimination at my work
    By JeopardyLeyton in forum Work - help & advice on work, training, jobs for disabled people
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 30-06-14, 16:59
  3. Help to fight discrimination
    By Elly in forum Work - help & advice on work, training, jobs for disabled people
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-08-13, 15:28
  4. discrimination?
    By ksyrad in forum Surveys, research requests and TV programmes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-02-13, 16:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts