Thread: help needed about scooter batteries please

Lightbulb help needed about scooter batteries please

Hi I am a non driver but havent time to 'scooter' everywhere so with a very limited budget I purchased a pride scooter that folds flat and i can manage to pull behind me to get on the bus.....

very very happy with this even though its chinese lol I could not afford one of the better make scooters made for this purpose(luggie etc). Not even 2nd hand.

My problem is the batteries it has 2 12v 10ah chinese batteries. these seem to run out very quickly. I am about 11 stone in weight, I think only after about 5 miles certainly no further. I live in Southsea, so flat terrain.

Can I expect a better performance from say 'lucas' batteries. Also can I attach larger batteries for the times that I do not want to bus?

Any advice really would be appriciated. Thank you very much

Sorry I meant a prorider scooter not a pride one

you really need to talk to the supplier of said scooter, who should be able to answer such questions. you can't go buying random batteries and hope they work. And if you have to get the batteries from CHINA, was it such a cheap deal? did it come with a manual, they should do.

Take all the details off the batteries and give some battery suppliers a ring quoting the details, there will be compatible ones out there.

I use Manbat as they are reasonably priced. Don't know whether they deliver or not as a friend fetches them for me.
    http://www.manbat.co.uk/

10Ah batteries are not very large. I can't remember exactly, but my power chair has 2 x 12V 38Ah batteries. 5 miles on the batteries you have is pretty good going.

You might be able to get better performance with non-Chinese batteries, but I think any improvement will not be vast. You need to make sure they will physically fit the scooter, the charger is compatible with the new batteries and the batteries are a 'deep discharge' type (the batteries used for standby applications like Uninterruptible Power Supplies for computers or as car batteries are unsuitable for use in a scooter, as they are not designed for repeated heavy discharge).

I'm a particular fan of Sonnenschein batteries - my chair currently has Sonnenschein GF-Y batteries fitted. However, 10Ah is too small to feature in that range.

Google suggests the original batteries in your scooter may be this (click), in which case Yuasa REC10-12 appears to be an equivalent (two REC10-12 batteries will cost around £50 delivered). The Chinese batteries appear to go by the generic description of 6FM10.

The 10Ah figure is not actually the one you need to be comparing, as that's the C20 (slow discharge over 20 hours) capacity. Scooters discharge batteries much more quickly than that, and fast discharge of a battery yields less energy. I'd compare battery specifications for scooters on the C1 (fast discharge over 1 hour) capacity, and would generally regard the figures of the major European and Japanese manufacturers as more reliable than those of the Chinese manufacturers. European or Japanese batteries are also likely to last longer (more cycles before they become too worn to be usable) than Chinese batteries - though there are some good Chinese products. The big problem with Chinese products is that quality is so variable.

I'd stick with the batteries you have until they become too worn to be usable, then I'd consider fitting a top quality brand such as Yuasa. If you need significantly more range, you have the wrong scooter.

You might be able to get someone to rework that scooter to take much bigger batteries, but the bigger batteries weigh more (more weight equals less range, also the battery box might not be strong enough for the weight - the 38Ah batteries on my chair are 14.6kg each) and there simply might not be enough room available for larger batteries. Much larger batteries are likely to mean you need a bigger charger as well as wiring upgrades to reflect the higher charging current. Indeed, if you change the batteries for something substantially different you could affect the performance of the power controller, especially if it uses regenerative braking.

Really, it's not worth the hassle of trying to upgrade the scooter properly for larger batteries. Don't be tempted to bodge things, as the amount of energy in a large battery is considerable and they are heavy objects. If you need a scooter with much greater range, it's best to buy a suitable scooter in the first place.

Seeing as you asked about Lucas, Lucas LSLA10-12 appears to be an equivalent, but I can't find full specifications for this battery. In particular, I can't find capacities other than the C20 figure, nor whether Lucas regard this battery as suitable for 'deep discharge'. It's not from Lucas' "cyclic" LSLC range, which is definitely suitable for deep discharge - there is no compatible LSLC battery.

It sounds like your batteries have not been charged properly over the winter and they are no longer holding a full charge. nb I am definitely not a physicist! When I replaced my own batteries on the TGA Eclipse I took them out of the battery box, carefully checked the measurements and fittings, looked up deep cycling batteries and identified Yuasa as being one of the best makes. I ordered them from Tayna, excellent service but having a quick look on their website I can't see the ones I ordered before. Batteries will generally only last for a couple of years before they need replacing but they aren't particularly expensive, even for the better makes. I asked TGA about getting bigger batteries a few years ago and they said I would need a new, bigger battery box to hold them in. The price was extortionate! I stayed with the original smaller ones and they were fine for what I needed.

British suppliers here of your scooter http://www.proridermobility.com/ possibly they could help.
    Last edited by beau; 22-04-14 at 13:03.

thank you all for your help!!!! even looking things up for me. I am very grateful.
    taking everything into account and after having talked with prorider I do realise that I want my scooter to be all singing and all dancing which for the most part it is. It is as comfortable as the large scooter I had before. I am going to try and get another battery box from pro rider so that when I want to go further I can just take it with me.