Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Day trips in UK - where you'd recommend

Well, my recently widowed mother has been on the phone. As the weather has been 'exceptional' she fancies a trip to the seaside tomorrow on Sunday to get some sea air.

So I'll pick her up before 10am and we'll make our way to North Wales along the A50, a coastal road, to Llandudno. (Llan in Welsh means 'mouth of the river'). I don't mind as it's a wonderful drive - man and machine in perfect harmony.

I'll prepare a cold chicken salad to eat on the quay while we 'people watch'. Then we'll make our way along the prom for a well deserved cuppa.

I think the weather will be hot but cloudy. If you want sunshine 24/7 head for Stratford-upon-avon.

Enjoy your trip out.

Hi Light hope you had a great time in Llandudno. I'd recomend it to anyone with mobility probs. Not only can you hire scooters at shops and hotels all over the town but the town is so used to being an invalid resort that you get treated like a human being not like an alien entity! I love it and its so friendly and loads to do. We've just come back from the Victorian Extravaganza weekend. Took my lecci wheelchair for the first time and it was great everywhere very dog and child friendly. My dogs been going since a pup so she is used to the crowds and the noise but if your dog is of a nervous disposition they get truly terrified so be warned. The lovely freedom of my chair meant that each night i could take her along the prom for a gallop. It was great and so empowering to be independant again.

Iv'e just discovered the delights of Llandudno, my first trip was last year and found it to be very accessible for my walking condition with the continuous seating along the prom,meaning I could find somewhere to sit as I hobbled down the front. My last visit earlier this year I took the plunge and hired a mobility scooter and what a difference it was to me and as said everywhere is very mobility friendly. My partner who loves to "promenade" was very happy as she could walk all along the front without having to stop on numerous occasions waiting for me or walking along ahead and meeting me on the way back and I could enjoy the pain free freedom.
    I have been round the Orme in the old bus and thoroughly enjoyed that trip not only taking in the scenery but the commentry was fantastic, my question is, I would love to go to the top of the Orme but not sure what the access would be like a/ getting up there and b/once up there. Maybe someone can advise me as I am planning another trip there later this year and would love to get to the top of that "small" hill.

Phil

I used the tram/ narrow gauge railway to get up the Orme. The driver put my walking frame on for me and there are only a couple of steps to get on. You do have to change trams halfway up, so frame was put off and I was helped, a very short walk to the next tram and the same thing happened. There is lots of seating at the top but don't know whether you can hire one up there at the café/gift shop which is easily accessible. A worthwhile visit if only for the views.

Well had an early start by picking mum up at 9am. Joined the M56/A55 without any traffic problems. Called in at a central coffee shop by a Cafe Nero - sitting outside watching the world go by - people are entertaining by just walking past.

One couple were out walking their two Yorkshire Terriers. One looked shattered and was being carried by it's owners while the other was being pushed - unbelievable.

Took my homemade lunch to eat on the prom - by this time a lt mrs peole arrived.

We ended up on the pier. As has been mentioned - there are loads of seating areas along the pier on either side. All benches have name plates on from sponsors. Some benches had flowers tied to the uprights.

You'll see from the photo that I was sat while taking a snap. Left about 3ish and the prom was full to capacity. We just timed it right to avoid delays. Next time I'll be more organised and source shopmoblity.

Well I'm pleased we went even for a short time as it was hot, sunny with a breeze too - ideal!! Luckily we didn't get stuck in any traffic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Southport-Pier-1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	967

Name:	Pier-to-Hotel.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	968

I recommend Burnham on sea in Somerset. Particularly the town Brean. Absolutely beautiful with award winning beach that stretches for miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Well had an early start by picking mum up at 9am. Joined the M56/A55 without any traffic problems. Called in at a central coffee shop by a Cafe Nero - sitting outside watching the world go by - people are entertaining by just walking past.

One couple were out walking their two Yorkshire Terriers. One looked shattered and was being carried by it's owners while the other was being pushed - unbelievable.
    Took my homemade lunch to eat on the prom - by this time a lt mrs peole arrived.

We ended up on the pier. As has been mentioned - there are loads of seating areas along the pier on either side. All benches have name plates on from sponsors. Some benches had flowers tied to the uprights.

You'll see from the photo that I was sat while taking a snap. Left about 3ish and the prom was full to capacity. We just timed it right to avoid delays. Next time I'll be more organised and source shopmoblity.

Well I'm pleased we went even for a short time as it was hot, sunny with a breeze too - ideal!! Luckily we didn't get stuck in any traffic.

Name:	Southport-Pier-1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	967

Name:	Pier-to-Hotel.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	968
    Glad you got to Llandudno, it's amazing how much it has changed in the past 10 yrs or so, but always worth going.

Come to Northern Ireland loads of great places to go and see

Today I heard that Harrogate in Yorkshire is the happiest town in England. That may be but I'm going to find out first hand. First I've contacted the town's Tourist Information to send me info about 'What's On' and places to stay for a few days in June. I'll conduct my own survey and report back.

Harrogate is a lovely place with some beautiful parks and public spaces.

Betty's Tea Rooms are famous - I had a great experience when I went a few years ago. As the web site says, there's no access to the main cafe, but they are very happy to serve the full cafe menu downstairs in the cafe bar to anyone who cannot manage the stairs - just ask.