Thread: Question about moving house to another area

Question about moving house to another area

Firstly I would like to thank the members of this forum who gave me advice, a while back, regarding my appeal to go from wrag to support group.

I got the date of my tribunal (middle of may).

After getting letters from my doctor and a radiographers report about an MRI scan on my spine. I sent them to the tribunal with an letter explaining how these problems affect me.
    Last week I got a letter from Bradford job centre saying they had changed their decision and I would be put in the support group, to start on the 2nd of May, the day when my contributory wrag finished and my appeal would no longer be sent to the tribunal.

Result!!!

Now the question.

My parents are looking at moving from their home to somewhere more peaceful before they are too old to enjoy it, and suggested looking for somewhere that may have an annex or granny flat so I could live there too but still have my independence.

I was wondering, with my benefit coming from Bradford council and the way councils are trying to cut back on money they pay out. I am presently getting DLA higher rate mobility and soon to be getting esa support group.

If I was to move to another area, outside the Bradford district, as an example north yorkshire, would I have to go through the process of claiming ESA again or have to reapply for support group or anything like that or does it just get transferred from one council to the next?

Your DLA should just transfer as long as you inform them of the move. I was on HRC and HRM for DLA when I moved from Cornwall to Staffordshire. I informed them of the move and my DLA payments continued as normal. It could depend how long your DLA award has left to run though. If you are soon to be assessed for PIP, a move could trigger an earlier assessment for PIP, I am not sure on this, others may have more of an idea. The same should apply to ESA, I recently moved, informed ESA and payments continued, although I stayed in the same county this time.
    Hopefully others may have more solid onfo for you.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Moving Home is not considered to be a change of circumstance as to affect your benefits (ESA/DLA), though obviously you will need to inform them (the DWP) about it, also advisable to inform the Post Office of change if and when you do move.

NB: Your Benefits, other than Housing/Council Tax, have nothing to do with the Local Authority.
    Last edited by Jard; 16-04-14 at 12:37.

Thanks for the advice.

I am on indefinite for the DLA, so not too worried about just yet as I think it is dealt with by somewhere in Blackpool.

It is mainly the ESA I am concerned about.
    Bradford job centre plus has farmed alot of their cases out to Burnley or Barnsley, I can't remember which, but my case is one of the few that has stayed in Bradford.
    The way things are going at the moment, it seems to be a fight for most people to keep the benefits let alone get get into the right category.

Admittedly this moving idea is only in the thinking stage so may not go ahead, but it would be nice to know if they would need to look in Bradford district or if they can look further afield.

Other than dla mobility and ESA I dont recieve any other benefits, I was on industrial injury benefit, but lost one point some years ago, which took me below the pass mark. Things have got worse since but, due to one thing and another I haven't managed to get motivation to ask about reassessing for that.