Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobility Financial Assistance - Got to Ask My Ex for a Letter!!!

Mobility Financial Assistance - Got to Ask My Ex for a Letter!!!

How to open a can of worms!!

I sent off my application recently to motability for help with the cost of the AP on an auto seven seater. I have four children - two of whom live with me and two who don't. The older ones come to me most weekends and holidays and they are with me so frequently that a car with six seats or more is the best option.

Motability, in their wisdom, have asked me to get my "ex" to write a letter confirming that my two older kids do indeed come to me so frequently. There is practically no chance she will do anything to help me in any way as our relationship is terrible. So motability are going to have to put this forward to a team leader to sort out. Is this going to be a problem with getting financial assistance? There is no way my ex will be even slightly reasonable even though my having a seven seater benefits her children too! I'd much prefer the choice of five seaters otherwise...

..Martin....

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie864 View Post
    How to open a can of worms!!

I sent off my application recently to motability for help with the cost of the AP on an auto seven seater. I have four children - two of whom live with me and two who don't. The older ones come to me most weekends and holidays and they are with me so frequently that a car with six seats or more is the best option.

Motability, in their wisdom, have asked me to get my "ex" to write a letter confirming that my two older kids do indeed come to me so frequently. There is practically no chance she will do anything to help me in any way as our relationship is terrible. So motability are going to have to put this forward to a team leader to sort out. Is this going to be a problem with getting financial assistance? There is no way my ex will be even slightly reasonable even though my having a seven seater benefits her children too! I'd much prefer the choice of five seaters otherwise...

..Martin....
    Since Motability is a Charity they have to account for every penny they spend. This means that they require confirmation on anything that anyone may claim. It is the way of the world that one persons word on something is just not enough. Is there no one else who can confirm the details that you have sent to Motability? perhaps a Grand Parent of the children, if so perhaps Motability may accept that.

Anyway good Luck with your application.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

If you are applying for financial assistance then be aware that they will insist you get the cheapest possible solution, rather than the wide choice of 7 seaters you desire.

You need to find a valid reason why you have chosen one particular car over the cheapest available.

good luck.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

In my view, Motability was set up for one reason. If a disabled person was unable to use public transport then Motability would give that person the freedom to choose a vehicle that met their 'access' needs.

The vehicle you choose needs to meet your access needs not how many people you may want to carry occassionally.

It's a not-for-profit organisation that has to be seen spending it's funding wisely and with discretion.

I choose the MPV that I drive becausse
    - the seating is higher
    - it's automatic
    - it has a double skin floor that doubles up as storage but more importantly it allows me to exit the car without catching my dropped foot on a raised door sill
    - it has bucket type seats that give better support
    - the hatch floor has no lip so it's easy to put things in and take out
    .... in fact it hosts a whole shed full of reasons why I choose this vehicle over any others. The AP wasn't cheap and I rarely use the car to it's full capacity.

Perhaps you are arguing the wrong case for a 7 seater. Your access needs are the key as to which vehicle best meets your needs for the next three years not how many bums on seats you can hold.

Everyone has very individual needs from a car and the issue of "bums on seats" is a need I have to be able to meet. Yes there are a number of advantages for an MPV in general, they do tend to seat the driver a little higher, they do tend to have flatter loading areas and they certainly have a lot of storage. But my needs really are about bums on seats. I can only afford one car and if I go out any weekends or school holidays (when all of my children are here) I have to take them with me. For at least a third of the year I have to transport myself, my wife and four children whenever I use a car. A five seater car (while much smaller, cheaper and easier to park) would mean my mobility is restricted to weekdays only or I have to stop seeing my two young teen children. I am also the carer of my wife who must also travel with me. It would be pointless getting a car for the next three years that restricts my mobility in such a way.

My current car is a 10 year old Zafira with manual transmission and my disability has got to the level where an automatic is becoming more of a necessity. I suspect that within the three years of having a motability car this will become an absolute necessity hence now being the time I'm looking to use my DLA for a motability car rather than using it to finance my current car. I suspect new manual cars have lighter clutches that I might manage better but I'm told my condition is progressive and over three years it is likely that I won't manage a manual car and my wife doesn't drive.

The smaller 5+2 seat cars would be unsuitable as the middle row with a child seat makes it only suitable for the smaller kids and the third row will be too small for my teens to use. I recently looked at a Grande C-Max and the Fiat 500L and the rear seats are tiny in both second and third rows. So I've been looking at the larger cars with the bigger seats.

Having done some research it seems something like the Citroen C4 Grand Picasso is ideal, very practical and it has one of the smaller APs of cars in it's class. It also seems to be one of the most frugal in fuel use. Given that there are cheaper seven seaters of this size that have far higher APs I'm a little surprised. The new Zafira still has the same small seats my current car has..

Mart.

Hi Mart, glad you are looking at the Grand Picasso, it's a brand new car from the wheels up and (in my eyes) is the best looking full size MPV you can buy.

I wouldn't look at a car's retail price, as the APs often don't make any sense when trying to make a comparison.

It comes down to what sort of deal Motability makes with the manufacturer.

Paul
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

An auto Ford S Max 2.0 TD is £1045 Advance Payment and should be large enough for your needs.

I don't know if Motability will give me a list of cars or allow just one particular model but I popped into a Citroen dealership in Aylesbury and had a look at a C4 Grand Picasso.. Will check out an S-Max in Perrys when I get over that way but the fuel consumption is pretty awful and suggests a much heavier car with perhaps older tech engines. I note the S-Max is a 2 litre, but I understand the powershift auto in the Ford is far superior to the ETG6 in the Citroen. Anyway the Citroen seems a very pretty car and the specification of the lower end model (VTR+) is amazing. The rear seats come up with just one hand, none of the undoing the child seat and removing, sliding seats forward and manhandling seats through an arc to lock into place that I need do with the Zafira. The child locks are operated by the driver and there's a warning light for seat belts not done up - a constant issue with my six year old. I can also lock out the rear windows - another issue with my six year old, very annoying on a motorway.

I guess I will just have to see what Motability suggest - after all it *is* their money.

Good spot with the SMax, but please be weary of the fuel consumption.
    It has the same engine/gearbox in my CMax but as it's a bigger car it's even worse for fuel.

To give you an idea just look at my signature.
    The 56 mpg is sat at 57mph on a motorway for 6hrs.
    The 33 mpg is in town with stop/start traffic for 1hr.

My commute to work is 12 miles each way, avg 45mph there, 15mph home. I was getting 36-38mpg so this week I have intentionally driven like a saint and I'm only averaging 44mpg!

If that is acceptable then go with the Ford as it really is the best handling MPV I've ever driven.

It isn't clear to me how much choice I will have, because I don't think the Picasso I'm looking at is necessarily the cheapest - although there isn't much in it. There is about £150 between the S-Max and the Piccaso in AP I think.

While I wouldn't consider myself a car snob in any way, I am worried about the fuel consumption. I note from other forums that the C-Max isn't very good on fuel so as you say the bigger S-Max must be even worse! I have regular runs to Ruislip in West London and Twickenham in South West London to pick up/drop off children and necessary visits to other family members. From here, near Aylesbury, it's around a 70 mile round trip each time. Weekly hospital visits of 22 miles round trips for me and also my wife also add to my weekly mileage. My Zafira probably just hits about 30 mpg around town so you can imagine that £35 a week in fuel is a large lump of my disability benefit. I like the Citroen and when I was working I bought a new Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDi. It was amazingly frugal, seemed to have a lot of torque and was very practical. I had to buy the Exclusive to get lockable electric windows for the kids but I see this is available on the lower spec VTR+ now.

My old Xsara Picasso was a very pleasant car. It felt very roomy, had lots of glass, it was comfortable and the boot space was enormous. There were quite a few goodies and with all that was very economical and easy to drive. My only criticism was the awful audio that was had to replace as it had an odd electronic dash that was incompatible with aftermarket audio. Citroen are not the most reliable of cars unfortunately but at least as a new car it will be covered by warranty. The only thing I have any issues about is the ETG 6 gearbox which I'm told can be very jerky in use.