Thread: Gamers, share your experiences with me!

Gamers, share your experiences with me!

Hi, my name is Finlay and I'm a designer. I'm currently looking in to designing a new means of control for gaming. As well as making it a new and exciting experience, I want it to be accessible for all. I would love to chat to those of you who either like to game, can't game due to restrictions of the means of control, or dislike gaming for whatever reason.

Either reply on this forum or feel free to contact me directly at f1nlaymcdonald@hotmail.co.uk

I'm currently London based so if anyone in that area feels up for meeting, having a chat, and playing a few games, I'd be very grateful.

Hi Finlay.

I LOVE gaming and so does my flatmate who is also disabled. I have mainly physical disabilities and my flatmate has mainly disabilities that effect his mental health, so we don't always have the same kind of problems regarding gaming.

With the fact that my mobility problems leave me in the house a lot, playing on my Xbox is my favourite past time (along with reading). We each have an Xbox 360 and we each managed to save up and go halves on a Xbox One and we are both on Xbox Live.

I do find that the controllers can contribute to the cramp that i get in my hands but what i usually do is alternate between my Xbox and a book. I always have to turn the vibrate off as that exacerbates the nerve pain i already get and i often have to alter the button configuration.

I also play games on my windows phone on the days when i'm out and about (and in the house), although that usually consists of playing Solitaire, Mahjong, Sudoku and other free games.

Feel free to leave me any questions you might have. I tend to come here every day so you won't have to wait long for an answer.

I just hope i can help. It would also be nice to know if there are any other "gamers" on this site as so far i don't know of any.

Lucy (aka galeforce81)
    Last edited by galeforce81; 14-04-14 at 16:04. Reason: Extra Bits

Hi Lucy, thanks for the swift reply!

I do have a couple of questions if that's alright.

Apart from remapping the button configuration on the controller and disabling the vibrate function, do you take any other measurements to make it a better experience?

Do you (and your flatmate, if you know his preference) prefer certain types of games? e.g. racing, shooter, RPG etc.

May I ask which disability you face? I understand if this is a personal question and you choose not to answer, but it would help increase the accuracy of my research.

How long would you say you can play before you need to take a break due to pain or discomfort?

Much thanks for your help,

Fin

Quote Originally Posted by finmc View Post
    Hi Lucy, thanks for the swift reply!

I do have a couple of questions if that's alright.

Apart from remapping the button configuration on the controller and disabling the vibrate function, do you take any other measurements to make it a better experience?

Do you (and your flatmate, if you know his preference) prefer certain types of games? e.g. racing, shooter, RPG etc.

May I ask which disability you face? I understand if this is a personal question and you choose not to answer, but it would help increase the accuracy of my research.

How long would you say you can play before you need to take a break due to pain or discomfort?

Much thanks for your help,

Fin
    Sorry its taken so long to reply. The only other things we do for a better experience is we have a fight stick for fighting games which really helps as those sort of games are very fast.

I have peripheral neuropathy which makes my legs very weak and i need to use crutches (so i can't use a Wii or Kinect). This also effects my arms some days and my hands can get sore which is why it can be essential to remap the buttons.

As far as game preference. My favourite are RPG's especially the one's from Bethesda like the Elder Scrolls series and the Fallout games.

My flatmate likes all sorts of games but plays a ot of shooters, in fact because we don't trade games, the living room looks like a games shop, we've got that many.

It depends on the day how long i can play before needing a break and also what game im playing, but if it's h fast paced game then i usually need a break after 30mins, a more slow paced game usually a couple of hours (although i do take cigarette breaks).

Hope this helps and if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask.