Thread: Guidance and advise please, we have a bridge to cross

notnamedbill

Guidance and advise please, we have a bridge to cross

I ended up in A&E again Monday with suspected heart attack (again) and a new one for me a suspected Stroke or mini stroke! Well initially my trops were 8 and then 10, and it was discussed whether I should be moved to cardiology ward and kept in with a NSTEMI but the stroke dept wanted to know more? I had a ultrascan on my neck and a head CT scan Tuesday morning, the ultra scan was clear but the CT scan showed some damage in the front area. I was sent home Tuesday tea time with an appointment with the TIA clinic for 11am the next day I.e Wednesday.

After i had a brain MRI the outcome is that no new damage as been done and that I had not had a TIA in the brain although it could still have been in the gerotary artery, but more likely still is that it is yet another symptom of my small vessel ischemia.

Both my wife and me have had meltdowns especially following the brain doctors remarks "good news that it's not in the brain but you are at high risk of having a major stroke" "the 4hr window is critical".

Both of us have made the decision that my wife finishes work, sod the money and the circumstances! Here is basically our position:

I am 56 and I haven't worked for over 6 years (my company went to the wall) and I have not been eligible to claim any thing because of my wife's income and my self employment, even ES said don't bother signing for your stamp only? My wife is 54 and a teacher on £36k. We have about 40k left on the mortgage over 8 years. PIP say std mobility but I am awaiting DM's phone back and I intend to appeal.

OK where do we start?

Notnamedbill

Quote Originally Posted by notnamedbill View Post

Both my wife and me have had meltdowns especially following the brain doctors remarks "good news that it's not in the brain but you are at high risk of having a major stroke" "the 4hr window is critical".

Both of us have made the decision that my wife finishes work, sod the money and the circumstances! Here is basically our position:

I am 56 and I haven't worked for over 6 years (my company went to the wall) and I have not been eligible to claim any thing because of my wife's income and my self employment, even ES said don't bother signing for your stamp only? My wife is 54 and a teacher on £36k. We have about 40k left on the mortgage over 8 years. PIP say std mobility but I am awaiting DM's phone back and I intend to appeal.

OK where do we start?

Notnamedbill
    Not sure both of you surviving on welfare is going to be manageable while trying to pay off that mortgage to be honest but others will be able to advise better. As far as I know help with mortgage only covers interest payments on the original sum borrowed, so you still have the captial to pay off.

But with regard to the high risk of having another stroke, after having stents fitted for blocked coronary arteries and having 3 seperate TIA's albeit with minium damage and tests showing arterial plaques etc in carotid arteries I too was told I was a high rik candidate of a major stroke within the next few months or year.

That was back in 2005/6 but I've had no further incidents since that time. Meanwhile a friend in near perfect health has had a major stroke out of the blue during this time and is incapacitated as a result. Sometimes the fact high risk patients are looked after and put on suitable risk reducing medications makes us less likely canditates for future strokes.

Had you suffered a major heart attack you would probably be told after 3-6 months convalescence your fit for work, as many people are, if there's no further complications.

Have a read of shaun27c's thread, ESA Appeal: here.
    http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...219-esa-appeal

notnamedbill
    I think the decision as been made and what ever happens to the house 'we want to be together' (oh bless) well she is determined not to leave me alone for longer than a few hours.

My situation is somewhat different Jard, I have the full blown symptoms of a heart attack every 6 weeks or so, following what used to be a 4 week build up (2 weeks good 4 weeks bad) things have changed abit: since Xmas there as been no good weeks just a few good days. I was in on the 11th January 2014, with just the suspected heart attack thing.

Which leads me to what else she said; although at this point they will not stop me driving they suggest that I do stop driving because of the repeated hospital admissions and what they are for, my wife does not drive YET!

Life is sh*t at times but not to worry, celebrate, it'll get worse around the corner

YEP 'Life is sh*t'........and, then you die. I would urge you to use extreme caution in anything your considering as you've outlined above.

Anyway, all the best with it.

If your minds are made up would definitley suggest before your wife hands in her notice you make an appointment with CAB or equivalent and find out what you would jointly be eligible for in future benefits. And then think it out carefully , as your situation is quite complicated.

Not least because it's an automatic sanction from claiming JSA if someone leaves a job without good reason - ill health on your wife's part should be one which is accepted .The fact you likely have a house with equity in it, in the event you have to sell it, you don't seem to have the correct PIP award for your wife to claim Carers allowance just now. And I'm not clear on whether you've got an open ESA claim or not?

I can well appreciate how it feels when despite being declared unfit to work due to other income or spouse working you find yourself ineligible for any financial help with household bills etc, despite an uniterrupted lifetime of previous work. But with all the uncertainty of the welfare state and payments going forward, I'd prefer to hold onto a guaranteed decent income than give it up to be at the mercy of the DWP until I retire, and all the stress it can involve.

Would getting one of these home telephone personal alarms fitted in your house by the council , which you wear and can press for immediate help give your wife any peace of mind in case anythign goes wrong while she's out the house? I got one fitted last year as my OH works more than an hours travel from home and we've no neighbours. Gave him a bit of peace of mind to know help wouldn't be far away if I end up in difficulty while he's out.