Thread: Decisions decisions

Decisions decisions

I went to a carers get together at a local pub this evening organized by crossroads.
    One of the helpers asked me about my condition, my benefits and offered to help me fill in forms for change of circumstances.
    I have felt for ages that I am not receiving the correct level of DLA, but with all the pip stuff going on , I thought it best to wait till they contact me.
    I currently get low rate care.
    Feel I probably should be getting middle rate care.
    I get no mobility and feel I should DEFINATELY be getting low rate mobility
    I am scared to rock the boat in case i lose my award altogether

removed
    Ultimately you are the only one who can make this decision. You are the only one who knows the effects of your condition. Nobody on here can tell you what to do.

I would seek advice from Welfare Rights or CAB. You may also be in a PIP area and if you report a change of circumstances it will be treated as an application for PIP.

See the PIP descriptors to see if you are eligible: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/...and_points.htm

crossroads lady said it wouldnt be a pip thing so maybe she knows that our area is not yet converting, i am not sure, I live in croydon
    I feel that I meet the discriptors but it took two appeals to get current rate and a few years ago I asked them to look at the mobility again for needeing someone with me when out and about,but even at appeal I didnt get it,as they said they accepted i needed someone with me for re assurance but that could not be described as guidence or supervision
    my crossroads lady seems to think i should deffo get some mobility and i do too but i have been putting it offf in case i lose the lower care
    to be honest I would rather wait untill I am called, but crossroads were quite keen to come round and help with forms
    probably i wish to wait as my sons dla to pip is happening this summer and i am having one last attempt at getting him a freedom pass (been turned down 4 times but NAS say keep applying) and this is enough paperwork to throw me into a spin

Hi Deebee know how you feel I'm on dla MRC & HRM don't need a change in circumstance like you but the thought of going through the PIP
    process is daunting

it only took six weeks for me to be changed over from IB to ESA but my already fragile mental health plummeted and still can't get out of the black hole and because I suffer with things like malnutrition because of my physical health in them few weeks lost a good percentage of my body weight so if it takes 9 months god don't think my health will take it

good luck with which ever you decide xx

thanks acheron, hope you are recovered now,think I have decide to leave it for now, ideally I would like to get pauls freedom pass,know where we stand re his benefits,know where he is going next year (currently looking at sixth form placements) put his papers away and then start on mine, phew! it makes me tired just thinking about it

How you look at this partly depends on the view you take about DLA to PIP migration.

Forced migration from DLA to PIP is still some way off. The earliest this will take place is October 2015, unless your current award expires before then. The migration process is not due to complete until mid 2018 - but it may well be that it takes rather longer than the government is continuing to predict, judging by the ongoing PIP delays at present.

This means you could remain on DLA for several more years. However, the window for a change of circumstances application to be handled under DLA rules could close fairly soon - in those areas of the country where 'natural reassessment' for PIP has been launched, reporting a change of circumstances triggers an irreversible migration to PIP. The PIP postcode map shows those areas where 'natural reassessment' is live.

In essence, you face a three way decision: do nothing, change of circumstances under DLA rules (still possible in Croydon) or wait until you can voluntarily migrate to PIP early.

The advantage of DLA rules is that lowest rate Care still exists - the two Daily Living rates on PIP are roughly equivalent to middle and highest rate Care.

The disadvantages of DLA rules are that the DLA legal tests for lowest rate Care are completely different to the tests for middle and highest rate Care (it's often said that it's a whole different level of proof required), also you are putting effort into something that's bound to have a limited lifespan.

Once you're on PIP, you will know where you stand - but if you move to PIP before you are forced and get less money than under DLA, you will lose out financially.

thank you flymo
    what you said about putting effort into something with a limited timespan I think kind of sums it up for me
    with other stuff to concentrate on at the moment I think I will just wait it out
    At least I can rely on the 80 pounds a month being regular whilst we sort out pauls stuff

yes sort your lad out first as too much at once going on can be overwhelming your lad must be the same age as mine about to leave school which in itself with the exams and college/sixth form placements ect is hard enough without the added pressure you've got getting him the benefits/help he needs

I got put on stronger antidepressants which also increase appetite so put some weight back on last weigh in 6/1/2 stone so better than I was

hope everything turns out well for you and your lad xx

thank you so much, yes same age our lads, so much going on for them at the moment isnt there, what with exams and interviews for sixth form.
    All the best for you and your lad too x