Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying online - what's your experience

Buying online - what's your experience

I'm really into this buying onlineas I hate shopping!

Today I purchased something on Amazon. Because I've used the service before I don't need to register my details again so it's one click shopping. Not only that but I pay for the products via virtual currency - Paypal.
    The cost is 50% cheaper than in the shops and it will be delivered tomorrow. I can track the status of the delivery on the computer or smartphone and Amazon will give me a free two hour window.

The other purchase was done online too using a credit card but instead of delivering it to my home it's what they call 'click and collect'. So after 2pm the package will be held in a local shop for me to collect within 7 days.

As far as I'm concerned, as a disabled person, it saves me money, hassle of trying to find parking or the pain of drifting around a shop or queuing up.

As this is more likely to be the future of retailing it does make me worried about the use of traditional town centres that may become ghost towns,

The retail trade is moving so quickly that town planners are still ticking off lingering developments that include retail space - it's ludicrous in my opinion

Would you shop online. What are the pros and cons in your opinion.

I only shop online!

Pros: No crowds, rude people, lack of space between aisles in shops (especially clothes shops!) No impatient people at check outs, you don't need to get out of bed

Cons: you can't see the *exact* item you are buying. You can't make sure it fits, or suits you, you don't know if can use an item without problems...

I often shop online although not for my groceries as I like to see what I am buying.
    In the past I have bought furniture down to ferrules for my walking sticks. Many disability aids I also find cheaper online. I always buy my Body Shop items online in bulk. Goods are delivered to my door more often than not with free delivery. A bonus for me as I am unable to get out and about anywhere other than local on my scooter.
    Another bonus is that I go through Quidco if the company is registered with them and get cash back, sometimes a little and sometimes several pounds.
    I always check Quidco before I actually buy anything, just in case.

We get everything online including our groceries - we tend to flip between Sainsburys and Tesco - if you stop using one of them for a few weeks they usually offer you a £10 or £20 voucher to go back to them so we swop and then wait for an offer from the other (I suppose you could call us supermarket tarts!). If you order for delivery midweek you can usually get free delivery - it's brought to your door - I just wish they would put it all away for us!

We are also heavy Amazon users - you can get literally anything via Amazon. I do have a couple of beefs with Amazon though - you can generally only get next day/free delivery if you use their 'Prime' service which costs £49 per year but well worth it if you get loads of stuff and they recently increased the cost to £79 per year which now includes a free film download facility - it was all done a bit sneakily! The other problem with Amazon is their Corporate Tax policy as they are registered offshore they avoid paying UK corporation tax on most of their dealings. I don't agree with what they do but the service they provide is so good the convenience outweighs my misgivings about their corporate behaviour.

In general we would be lost without on-line shopping.

Yes, I think Amazon were set up to sell books cheaper online. Now they sell everything. They are actually developing software that will predict what you want to buy and when you plan to buy it so the product is in the warehouse ready for shipping the following day!

They can build up a picture of what interests you by you just clicking on a picture! It's all very frightening.

I once wanted to buy an autobiography by Victoria Pendleton - the Olympic GB cyclist wo trained at the Manchester Velodrome. At Amazon it cost £8 and at the shop Waterstones - £12.50. I pitched for the retail shop because she was appearing for a signing. I hired an electric scooter and arrived at the shop with ten minutes to go before she was due to appear.

I couldn't believe the size of the snaking queue of 100s of people - I don't do queues. Had a quick word with security to say I was time constrained with the scooter hire so they allowed me to go to the front of the queue. Bing0 - my heroine in the flesh showing off her Olympic medal and a signed book plus a brief chat - priceless.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Victoria-pendledon.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	915

Official jealous Lighttouch, Victoria Pendleton is somebody I've respected and admired for years, and have seen her race. I've been fortunate to meet Laura Trott and Jo Roswell, at events in both Manchester and London. Being sprayed with champagne by Laura Trott will always be a pleasant memory, but probably sounds more interesting than it was.

Anyway, back on topic. I see online buying as evolution of the shopping experience, from the original concept of bartering and small markets through to local shops and out of town centers.

My own experience is mixed, a use our local village store which is rather excellent but also Sainsburys online for the main food shop. Amazon is significant for me for, across a wide spectrum of items, but I do sometimes visit the local town shops and larger shopping centres. However, this is often tied in with some leisure activity, cinema or meeting friends etc.

I've purchased furniture online, having taken 12 months to find the perfect TV unit, but this Friday will be in town looking for a new bed. So as I say it's a mixed bag.

One thing I'm doing more of is buying books and magazines and downloading them to my phone and tablet. Less to carry, plus I have the material on various devices.
    Last edited by vantage; 01-04-14 at 21:07.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

I used to love shopping, but these days I do most on-line
    Today I ordered some underwear from BHS online, a birthday present for my grandson via amazon and tesco delivered my weekly shop this evening

I deliberately stop myself looking at the books section of amazon - I once had a little bit of money and spent over £100 on books alone. :/

Quote Originally Posted by flowerangelx View Post
    I deliberately stop myself looking at the books section of amazon - I once had a little bit of money and spent over £100 on books alone. :/
    I know what you mean. I have so many books I haven't read yet but still buy more. A colleague of mind worked out that to read all the books she owned but hadn't read would take her over 10 years, and that's if she gave up work etc
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Quote Originally Posted by vantage View Post
    I know what you mean. I have so many books I haven't read yet but still buy more. A colleague of mind worked out that to read all the books she owned but hadn't read would take her over 10 years, and that's if she gave up work etc
    I did work experience in a library....I bookmarked(to read) 137 books, and that was just in the history section before they suggested I worked on the main desk instead of shelving books, lol.