Thread: ESA work related interview, going to be sanctioned, doubt raised

ESA work related interview, going to be sanctioned, doubt raised

hi all, would really appreciate a reply within a couple of hours as my adviser at reed is about to sanction me.

Basically i have severe agoraphobia, panic and anxiety diagnosed for about 8 years

On my first appointment, I asked her if I was unable to attend an interview, and phoned in, would I be sanctioned and she replied no.

So the day of my second interview, im feeling very anxious, basically housebound, i phoned in to tell her (it was 10 minutes before the appointment time) that i was too unwell to attend, and she replied 'well i'm going to raise a doubt and you will most likely be sanctioned' i replied that on our previous interview i gave her all the information on my health issues and that if i was too unwell to attend an interview and phoned in, i would not be sanctioned.

I phoned my local Jobcentre plus and they told me there's nothing they can do about it, i'd have to speak with Reed, (where i have my work related interviews)

What the hell do i do? I really can't afford being sanction as have to pay rent to my mum!

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance

Help needed ASAP please,
    Thanks again !

P.S
    The lady at Reed is vey stubborn and I get the feeling she doesn't like me much

Hi

What is Reed?

Are these interviews for a work programme or just the usual WRAG interviews?

Hi thanks for your reply,
    reed's like an agency,
    it's also where JCP sends you for the interviews to help get long term unepmloyed back into work

i'm on the work programme i think

I think it is because you haven't given 24 hours notice, I personally think giving them 10 minutes notice is unreasonable, as they can't give somebody else that appointment.

Unfortunately, being agoraphobic is *not* a valid reason to not attend a work program interview if you are in the work-related activity group (This is not my opinion - as somebody who has severe agoraphobia, social phobia and general anxiety disorder.)

You could appeal the sanction and say you feel, that because of your mental health and anxiety, you feel that it was unreasonable as they were aware of it.

Long shot, though.

It seems that appealing the sanction is the way to go - if that is what happens - you suggest in your first post that a sanction is just a possibility at this stage.

I wonder if telling them you have sickness and diarrhoea would work. You are not allowed in hospitals, nursing homes etc if you have had or are having these symptoms. Of course you would only be telling the truth!

I did find that when I had an IBS flare up, they accepted the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbikeguy View Post
    hi all, would really appreciate a reply within a couple of hours as my adviser at reed is about to sanction me.

Basically i have severe agoraphobia, panic and anxiety diagnosed for about 8 years

On my first appointment, I asked her if I was unable to attend an interview, and phoned in, would I be sanctioned and she replied no.

So the day of my second interview, im feeling very anxious, basically housebound, i phoned in to tell her (it was 10 minutes before the appointment time) that i was too unwell to attend, and she replied 'well i'm going to raise a doubt and you will most likely be sanctioned' i replied that on our previous interview i gave her all the information on my health issues and that if i was too unwell to attend an interview and phoned in, i would not be sanctioned.

I phoned my local Jobcentre plus and they told me there's nothing they can do about it, i'd have to speak with Reed, (where i have my work related interviews)

What the hell do i do? I really can't afford being sanction as have to pay rent to my mum!

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance
    Can i ask how did your medical go with ATOS I have the same issues
    Last edited by Beddz; 01-04-14 at 18:10.