Thread: PIP Process - Is this a bit odd?

PIP Process - Is this a bit odd?

Hi,

I'm new here and have a question I hope you can answer

I have been in receipt of DLA since 1989 and it was awarded for life at my last review in 1995. Recently, due to a change in my health I was advised to report the change as I may be entitled to a higher rate now. However, when I called to do this I was told I had to start a new claim for PIP instead.

PIP claim was started by 'phone on 19th December, forms were received mid January and returned to DWP on 21st January and then I heard absolutely nothing at all. I 'phoned DWP 2 weeks ago for an update and was told the claim had been sent on to Capita on 27th January. I called Capita and was told my claim was being reviewed to see whether or not I need a face to face assessment. On Monday I finally received a welcome letter from Capita, but still no assessment date. The letter says they will write or 'phone at some point with a date, but as far as I knew from searching the net, the letter should have had a 7 day window of possible dates so I could book with them.

Have I got this wrong, or is it a bit odd that they haven't offered any dates yet?

PIP assessments have two stages - an initial check to see whether you need a face to face assessment, then a face to face assessment if necessary.

It sounds as if it has been decided that you need a face to face assessment (over 95% of PIP claimants do), and Capita have no dates to offer you at present, which would fit with the hideous delays in assessment in many areas. It's probably worth calling Capita again to try to find out when they might be offering you some dates for your assessment.

My claim is being dealt with by Atos but I received a similar sort of letter. Just saying they'd got all my evidence etc. and would be in touch with a date for an assessment later if it was decided I needed one. they said they'd write to me separately about that. So I think it's normal for them to send you an initial letter without any assessment date.

As far as timing goes, I did the initial telephone bit of the application with DWP in November and haven't been offered an assessment date yet.
    Last edited by catlover; 31-03-14 at 12:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    PIP assessments have two stages - an initial check to see whether you need a face to face assessment, then a face to face assessment if necessary.

It sounds as if it has been decided that you need a face to face assessment (over 95% of PIP claimants do), and Capita have no dates to offer you at present, which would fit with the hideous delays in assessment in many areas. It's probably worth calling Capita again to try to find out when they might be offering you some dates for your assessment.
    Hmmm, I think I'll just sit it out then - get very stressed out about using the 'phone in general and these types of calls in particular. The chap at Capita was very dismissive, verging on rude when I called previously so I don't want to annoy them

It seems to be normal now.

I was sent a letter with 7 days listed - I received the letter on the THIRD day of the 7 mentioned so somebody phoned them on my behalf and said it was inconvenient as I need somebody with me and it was too short notice to find somebody..but we were given an appointment for early February instead there and then on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoodle View Post
    Hmmm, I think I'll just sit it out then - get very stressed out about using the 'phone in general and these types of calls in particular. The chap at Capita was very dismissive, verging on rude when I called previously so I don't want to annoy them
    I found a chap at Capita very rude too. Perhaps they think its their money that is paying out for PIP claims.

Seems some common courtesy is needed and perhaps some more staff training in dealing with vulnerable people.

I, like flower, had a form with some dates on it that I needed to log in online in order to book but when I did this there were none so I telephoned and was given one over the phone. This was cancelled (although I was never informed) and also the two next ones were too (again I rang them) but my next one was ok. I had a txt from them also at 6.50 in the morning informing me that the assessment would take place at 10.00 that day. I don't remember giving them my mobile number either just like flowerangel had said.

Same here i received a letter end November 2013 telling me to log in and book between 6th and 13th December when i treid to log in there were no appointments within Birmingham area i finally got a home visit on 6th March 2014 after my mp and the Daily Mirror journalist started chasing Capita