Thread: easiest place to travel for disabled??

easiest place to travel for disabled??

Hi i just thought i'd post a thread to see where people thought was the easiest place they had traveled as a disabled person thats WC users, stick/crutch walkers, blind, deaf etc. I've traveled to a few but think probably birmingham city centre, northampton, some parts of wales and stratford upon avon. As there are disabled loos, mainly flat paved flooring, automatic doors, and buses from 1 point to the next.
    Worst place whitby, lake district, shrewsbury though to be fair these are beautiful places but you need a car to get you everywhere.
    I could state other good and bad places but thought that would be enough.

In the UK

Quote Originally Posted by freedomeagle View Post
    Hi i just thought i'd post a thread to see where people thought was the easiest place they had traveled as a disabled person thats WC users, stick/crutch walkers, blind, deaf etc. I've traveled to a few but think probably birmingham city centre, northampton, some parts of wales and stratford upon avon. As there are disabled loos, mainly flat paved flooring, automatic doors, and buses from 1 point to the next.
    Worst place whitby, lake district, shrewsbury though to be fair these are beautiful places but you need a car to get you everywhere.
    I could state other good and bad places but thought that would be enough.
    Got to say I havent been to a lot of places since using a wheelchair. BUT having lived in the north...Whitby, York, Durham all very hilly. Cobbles, terrible in a wheelchair or with stick. But so is Shrewsbury. Birmingham and lots of London, quite good. Transport for London will give you accessible routes (step free) on the underground. May take longet but DO-ABLE.
    Most trains good with assistance.
    May I reccomend Disabilityrights UK. they do a book Holidays in the UK. Compiled BY disabled people, FOR disabled people.
    Info on access, shopmobilty all kinds of usefull info.

I'd have to London for here in the UK. Its easy to get about, either by Taxi, Tube, Over ground, Bus or River Taxi. There is lots to do for all tastes.

For outside of the UK I would probably say Las Vegas.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Vegas!! bit outta my league there, vantage!

Quote Originally Posted by vantage View Post
    I'd have to London for here in the UK. Its easy to get about, either by Taxi, Tube, Over ground, Bus or River Taxi. There is lots to do for all tastes.
    I lived in central London when I first fell ill and return there fairly often. Access is rather hit and miss for a wheelchair user, like in most places. Parking is a nightmare, especially as the Blue Badge scheme is partly disapplied in Kensington and Chelsea, Westminster, City of London and part of Camden. The buses are all wheelchair accessible, which is a bonus. The Underground has a complex legacy of problems which means only parts of the system are accessible (with upgrades being very slow for obvious reasons).

My vote for an accessible place would be Milton Keynes, as it was built after accessibility was more in the forefront of thinking and it doesn't have a legacy of inaccessible buildings to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    I lived in central London when I first fell ill and return there fairly often. Access is rather hit and miss for a wheelchair user, like in most places. Parking is a nightmare, especially as the Blue Badge scheme is partly disapplied in Kensington and Chelsea, Westminster, City of London and part of Camden. The buses are all wheelchair accessible, which is a bonus. The Underground has a complex legacy of problems which means only parts of the system are accessible (with upgrades being very slow for obvious reasons).

My vote for an accessible place would be Milton Keynes, as it was built after accessibility was more in the forefront of thinking and it doesn't have a legacy of inaccessible buildings to deal with.
    I must admit now I'm a full-time wheelchair user I always leave the car at home when travelling to London, which I do on average once a week.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

I must admit that nottingham is quite easy.

If you come on the train, there is a tram stop at the top (there's also two lifts to get to it), tram stops in the city centre.

If you come by plane, there's a shuttle bus, which is wheel chair/disabled friendly.

Best of all..there's plenty of bus stops to sit at if you aren't a wheel chair users, there's seating in market square, there's a couple of hills, but you can get the tram up them. You can walk from one side of the city centre to the other in half an hour - with rests, of course.

I used to drive to Nottingham to stay with my then girlfriend. She lived in gated flats that were housed in a former nunnery near to the Theatre with that giant silver globe that sits outside the theatre.

Takes a bit of getting used to the one way system because if you miss a turning you have to circuit the city again. Still a nice city.

The playhouse theatre?

The one way system is a pain in the arse, especially when getting a taxi...with a driver who doesn't know the one way system. >.< try and give directions and they ignore you!

My favourite place for accessible holidays is the Share Center in Eniskillen, Northern Ireland.

It is self catering and all their chalets are fully accessible.