Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test results and PIP

Test results and PIP

Do PIP/Capita/DWP get hold of test results from hospitals before they give decisions on awards AND more to the point can they get access to medical records that the patient has not been told of yet?

I ask because my claim keeps getting put back more and more and at the moment I am awaiting some test results for cells due to extreme possible cellular immunity problems.

Either the reasons my disease is because of extreme stress (and I mean a million to one chance of getting this twice from just "stress") or because I am very ill with immune problems that need sorting out? My HIV was negative as expected but had some more complex tests done on immunity. I feel so tired all the time now and its not shifting but I try to keep going and just make myself worse.

I have some test results at the end of April and also I have my genetics cancer colonoscopy at the beginning of April. I just cannot believe that my claim keeps getting passed backwards and forwards and even when I spoke to the lady at DWP last week I felt like she was saying that even if Capita DO send the report back again this week then it could be that its a problem getting it on the system because the system has problems so she was making just about every excuse she could to say my claim would take longer and longer so I could be looking at end of April, (which coincidently is when I have been to infectious diseases and had my colonoscopy too)!!!!

I realise It should not be like this should it but I suspect it because I suddenly had a rally of hospital appointments just recently. Max facial, ENT, infectious diseases, immunology, and Gastro.

All DWP keep saying is that they need to get the claims right in the first place. I am annoyed if they can access my tests before I myself have results. Its my body they are done on, not theirs but was it said that ATOS were having access to medical records? I realise that capita are my assessment provider BUT I bet they are hand in hand with ATOS.

I have panicked for over a year since my operation and complications and still do not have a definitive answer to what happened and each consultant can only say "extreme stress" and that there is good chance it will happen again even with preventative treatment which "could" lessen the degree of damage. I don't think that PIP have details of my new meds which DO have side effects but are better than not taking them and risk paralysis again.

Hi Karen
    Do you have a definitive diagnosis of a condition/illness ? if not maybe this is why Capita/DWP need time to make sure they make the correct decision , i know PIP is not about what condition you have but about how it effects you , but to me it just seems that things need to be crystal clear so a correct decision can be made , i know it is very frustrating but you have not had a denial letter which is a good sign it just seems that the decision maker needed more information to make a decision maybe ?

removed
    Karen,

Have you phoned the hospital to see if your Consultant has been asked to provide a report. You could also phone your GP to see if they have been asked for anything.

I would apply Occam's Razor to the situation, which says, in essence, that if all other things are equal the simplest explanation is most likely to be true. This can be put as "it is unlikely to be a conspiracy if cock-up provides an adequate explanation".

I can appreciate how bad it looks as you wait for the second clarification request to be acted upon by Capita and DWP to make a fresh attempt at making a PIP decision. However, I doubt that this is to clarify your diagnosis. I think it's more likely that there's contradictions, errors or omissions in the assessment report that DWP feel need addressing in order for them to make a good quality decision.

PIP is based fairly squarely on a functional assessment of what you can and can't do on the various activities. The reason for those functional problems is relatively unimportant. My 'not diagnosis' is a hospital letter confirming that it appears I have a neuromuscular and endocrine syndrome that has resisted all attempts at further diagnosis over the twenty years since I've fallen ill.

The most likely reason your diagnosis would matter for PIP is to determine the length of time before reassessment, but if there is any uncertainty about your prognosis, I would expect DWP to opt for an earlier reassessment date on the basis that a fresh decision can then be made in the light of the available medical evidence at that point.

I doubt that many hospital clinics could be persuaded to look at test results they have yet to discuss with the patient purely for benefits purposes. Indeed, there is a fairly powerful argument that the hospital sharing test results with Capita / DWP before they disclose them to you is unethical without your express consent, as it might be possible for you to discover information about your test results from DWP that the hospital would feel is only appropriate to discuss with you in a face to face setting where you have the opportunity to ask questions.

DWP and the assessment providers do have the power to request medical information from those treating you by virtue of the declaration you signed in the claim form, but they cannot compel your medical professionals to respond. Most medical professionals will, on the basis that it is usually in their patient's best interests to do so, but I would expect most doctors would hesitate if there were ethical concerns about sharing information they had not discussed with the patient.

My understanding is that most requests for additional medical information are made to the claimant's GP and most of these are a request for the standard GP factual request form to be completed.

Your later post implies that DWP have received an answer to their latest clarification request and I hope that, this time, they really do have everything they need to make the decision.

I appreciate this is an extraordinarily stressful time for you, with the continuing uncertainty over your PIP claim as well as over these test results. I continue to hope there will be some good news soon.

removed
    Quote Originally Posted by KAREN SV View Post
    Right, I am waiting for the decision maker in my PIP claim to get in touch with me and she apparently has until the 7th April to do this.

I am going for my colonoscopy on the 11th April AND yet again.... I have JUST 10 minutes ago received a phone call from endoscopy to say they had a cancellation for tomorrow and could I make it then perhaps (which incidentally falls within the timeline of PIP having to get back to me with their decision makers reasoning). Its bloody getting beyond coincidental all this.

I am not prepared, either mentally or physically and you have to prepare from 2 days before anyway dropping your fibre intake and taking your picolax. I cannot just prepare myself at the drop of a hat.

I feel that PIP/DWP/NHS are all working together to get people OFF benefit and finding ways of denying them benefit.
    I think the stress you are under has made you paranoid. The NHS is not working with the DWP to remove people off benefits. Most doctors do a very good job in helping patients in benefit problems.

To your second point, the NHS have a duty to the taxpayer to fill slots that are empty. It wastes taxpayers money (something which the NHS is short of) when theatre slots are empty. The surgeon and nurses are still paid even though they have nothing to do, that is why they are trying to see if somebody can fill that slot in.

removed
    [QUOTE=KAREN SV;58364]
    I just feel that people like myself with disabilities that are difficult to assess QUOTE]

Karen, I was only addressing the 2 points made regarding the NHS. I didn't say you were suffering paranoia as a mental illness but that the stress is making you paranoid. We all get it from time to time.

As with any new benefit, delays will be expected.

That's why medical evidence is good. My consultant knows everything about me and how my condition effects me at home. Informing them of these effects can make a difference between a claim succeeding and failing.

The DWP want corroboration as they feel that people just lie to get benefits.

removed
    I tell my consultant how I am at home. Further the things I describe fit in with my condition. Thus he knows that I am telling the truth. I have had various consultants and all of them have been fantastic. When I go to my appointment 5 minutes is spent on me the rest is spoken about events that are in the news. Basically a chit chat.

I understand not everyone has good doctors but I believe the vast majority are good. If you engage with a doctor on a personal level (as I do) it can make life 100 times easier and whenever I have needed my consultant he has always been there.

Karen, I understand your frustrations and know that if you could work you would. A life on benefits does no one any good. I understand that you wish they kept you on but decided to let you go after your surgery. It seems as if your doctors are not very sympathetic/helpful. Its a shame that the minority let down the whole profession.

All I can do is wish you luck. I did see that you were awarded PIP from what I recall from a previous thread (I may be wrong). Was it the award you were hoping for?

Quote Originally Posted by KAREN SV View Post
    Right, I am waiting for the decision maker in my PIP claim to get in touch with me and she apparently has until the 7th April to do this.

I am going for my colonoscopy on the 11th April AND yet again.... I have JUST 10 minutes ago received a phone call from endoscopy to say they had a cancellation for tomorrow and could I make it then perhaps (which incidentally falls within the timeline of PIP having to get back to me with their decision makers reasoning). Its bloody getting beyond coincidental all this.

I am not prepared, either mentally or physically and you have to prepare from 2 days before anyway dropping your fibre intake and taking your picolax. I cannot just prepare myself at the drop of a hat.

I feel that PIP/DWP/NHS are all working together to get people OFF benefit and finding ways of denying them benefit.

I got told last week at immunology (appointment out of the blue again whereby I suddenly get a phone call to go in) that its unfair to put all my problems down to stress as people then blame themselves for it. I don't know how to take that one to be honest? She was getting at something but I could not understand what.

PIP is about disability for 3 months before we apply and 9 months after. I feel that I have now definitely suffered and needed help for over 12 months due to mine and unless I am miraculously cured, I still am NOW. Maybe its now more a mental thing I have no idea because of added stress from trying to claim benefit and its certainly not helping with my physical health problems which are often bought on by stress or are they? I feel that often stress, anxiety, and depression are used in diagnosis when they just cannot find an biological course and it moves the patient on thinking they are actually going mad. This happened to me but I just don't know if I can pick myself up again. I really don't.

I had a complication from shingles that hit the nerves in my head twice on opposite sides. I now ache and feel lethargic all the time. I get dizzy and need rest. Maybe I have a viral fatigue thing. It certainly makes sense to me. OR else I am ill In another way, I don't know. And neither do doctors. All I know is that HIV is the most obvious thing to rule out and it has been. I AM NOT HIV. That has been proved not that I ever thought I was but of course they had to rule it out anyway.
    The NHS and PIP are not working together to get people refused benefit.

Perhaps as toolook has said you have been offered this early appointment because somebody else has cancelled?
    If you feel that you do not have time to prepare for it - then tell them you cannot attend. That's not a problem. Many people (myself included) would need more time to prepare for something like that. But they often try to get any free slots filled.

Karen,PIP and DWP are not in my experience out to get anyone off benefits apart from those who obviously choose it rather than need it. Thats the whole point of the assessments. Please do not think that is aimed at you, because its not, you obviously have conditions and some incapacity because of that, but from what you say I think you make the process more difficult for yourself by not communicating with consultants and Doctors etc. You have to do this or how can they know anything about you. They do not want to hear complaints and opinions, just about you and what ails you and how it affects you.Then they can help you better. and you should trust them more.
    My experience with DWP, ESA and PIP has been all that it should be and more. I know it seems to be the exception rather than the rule, but that's my experience.

Karen, PIP does look at mental health issues as well as physical disabilities.

I think what you need to concentrate on is explaining with examples (like the one you posted about getting your hair cut) how all your problems affect your day to day activities. Flymo has given some excellent pointers on this.

I always used to have it in my head when filling in ESA or DLA forms that the person making the decision would never actually see me in person. I found this really helped me focus on explaining what my problems were because of Cerebral Palsy and the help I need because of Cerebral Palsy. It was irritating seemingly including things which to me seemed blindingly obvious but it all goes to creating a picture for the person who reads the form.

Bear in mind you did actually score some points - this suggests to me the decision maker obviously sees from what they have had in front of them that you do have various problems.