Thread: WRAG - work program

Exclamation WRAG - work program

if someone has been placed from the support group(ESA) to the WRAG for a year,after having a home assessment due to agoraphobia, can they be forced onto the work program if they have the interview via the phone, rather than in person?

if the diagnosis was made by a doctor, but not a psychiatrist, is it still valid?
    even if they've accepted the diagnosis previously and a home assessment has been carried out due to that diagnosis?

if they have made attempts to 'make it easier' by making an appointment later in the day,booking a quiet room etc would the person be refused an appeal due to being seen as uncooperative?

does it make any difference if the person is currently awaiting a mandatory reconsideration to be taken out of the WRAG?
    or that the doctor has provided a letter stating they have agoraphobia and he is referring them to a psychiatrist and they have refused to accept such letter unless the person attends and brings it to them?

very confused at the moment and feel very useless at this point, being told the only way to hold off the work program would be to attend in person with evidence to support their case, if they could attend with no problem then surely they wouldn't need to hold off the work program?

In a word - Yes.

I am agoraphobic and had to attend a work program for a year. They can pay for taxi's there and back and allowed the work related activity to take place in a private room away from everyone else. I still had to attend, though.

If you are waiting for a Mandatory Reconsideration, maybe get a note from your doctor stating you are not well enough. Also that you are waiting to see if you can go into the support group. I have to say, personally, I've found it very rare to be put in the support group based on Agoraphobia alone. Do you have any other Mental Health issues?

Agoraphobia is usually a general diagnosis from doctors when you have anxiety related to going out. It really is important to follow up with your referral to a psychiatrist so you can possibly get a more in depth diagnosis. I thought I had agoraphobia - I have agoraphobia combined with anxiety, depression and borderline personality disorder. I am not saying this is the case for you, but usually, Agoraphobia goes hand in hand with anxiety. I have since been told (by my new psychiatrist) that I should be in the support group as there is a risk of volatile behaviour and risk of self harm if I am stressed or anxious. Unfortunately, it's too late to appeal and I don't have the heart to re-apply etc..for now, the job centre have left me alone and allowed me to have telephone Work-focused Interviews.

As far as I'm aware, you do not have to hand in the letter in person. This is an unreasonable request as they are aware of your diagnosis. They should, in theory, let your doctor fax the letter to them.

I'm hoping others will be able to give more imput on this one, as when it comes to the laws and regulations surrounding WRAG, I'm not *that* clued up, so please don't take my word for it.