Thread: Accessible showers

Accessible showers

I'm looking for accom with accessible shower, but seeing as rental properties with same are rare as the proverbial hens teeth, anyone got any tips/ recommendations of installers of accessible showers or wetrooms?

Super Moderator
    Whilst we do not have the resources to make comparisons, we advise that you look for companies which are members of reputable trade organisations such as the British Healthcare Trades Association http://www.bhta.net/

We have information on suppliers both nationwide and local to you on our database
    http://www.dlf-data.org.uk/report_it...ca5875044&view

There is more information on our Living made easy site here;
    http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/per...showering-742/

Hopefully others on the forum might be able to share their own experiences , be they good or bad, to help you choose.

Well yeah thats all i was looking for...good tips and bad tips, so to speak.

Are yoi in social housing or private rent?
    We are in social housing and went on the list for another LHA. I sent medical forms etc with the application, was assessed and we have just been given a 2 bedroom bungalow with wet room.
    Have you been assessed by Adult social care/OH as they can be very helpful. Their budgets have been slashed unfortunately, but they may have some ideas to help you.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Oh yes indeedy, tell me about it! I am presently in private rented, 2 bed house with stairs and shower over bath. Both stairs and the shower are becoming extremely difficult. I AM on the housing list, assessed as a medical need to move, but will only be considered for 1 or 2 bed bungalow. My partner and I want to move together and also my adult son. Partner is on home haemodialysis so we need more room!
    HHD comes a HUGE amount of kit and storage needed.
    so we are looking at private rented, but it may be we have to say....yeah but, can we build a ramp? would you mins if we change the bathroom....so looking for an idea of cost (ish).

Unfortunately, you ask something of a "how long is a piece of string" question. My wet room cost well over £10,000, but that was in a new build extension on a tight site that involved an architect and I working together to fit it in. It's also of much higher specification than many, with fully tanked construction, electric underfloor heating and the floor and all walls are fully tiled.

The big problem you have with a wet room is that it typically takes more space than the existing bathroom, especially if you allow for a full 1.5m by 1.5m wheelchair turning space.

The other significant issue with adapting an existing bathroom can be the lack of fall in the drains when you replace the existing shower cubicle or bath with an in floor drain. You can use a shower waste pump to lift waste water up to the level of the existing waste pipe, but this a noisy solution and a potential maintenance liability.

Even an indicative cost is likely to be property dependent. I'd say that even a cheaper scheme, of the sort typically funded by a Disabled Facilities Grant, would cost several thousand pounds. You can get a Disabled Facilities Grant as a tenant, but the waiting list can be very long.