Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My PIP experience so far, advice please!!!

My PIP experience so far, advice please!!!

A big hello to everyone here. I have been browsing this forum for the past few weeks whilst going through my pip process and have taken an awful lot from it, so Thank You to all of you.

I applied for PiP in September (they received my application on the 20th September). The DWP referred my case to Atos very quickly, but things ground to a halt there, not surprisingly judging by other peoples experiences.

By December I hadn't heard a thing, so I wrote a complaint by e-mail and informed my local MP. Within a week, I had an appointment date of 7th March in Bradford which is about an hour away. This was fine, as my boyfriend drove me there. The place was a nightmare to find, so I was about 10 mins late through getting stressed and angry about the whole set up and dreadful excuse for a map that they gave us with my appointment letter.

We found the building, parked nearby, got me in my wheelchair and surprise surprise, no wheelchair access in to the building. Luckily I was with my boyfriend who is used to lifting me up in the thing so we got up the step okay, but I was disappointed that they obviously hadn't thought if the most standard things. Assessments for disabled people, a lot of whom are wheelchair bound most if the time---- how hard is it to think of a ramp?! However, I thought about the poor people who had had their assessments cancelled countless times, and went in with an appreciative view of the matter.

The lady in reception checked me In and gave me a claim form for petrol. She said it was ok that I was late, and that they were running a but behind too. I was the first appointment at 8:30am. We sat and chatted a while then my assessor came to meet me. I shook his hand, he asked me how I had got there and then I followed him to the room. It was a tiny room, and he had to rearrange bits of furniture to allow space for me. There was his desk, some chairs and a hospital sort of bed. He asked me the sort of questions you would expect and asked me to talk him through a normal day for me. He typed as I spoke, and asked questions of his own in between which was good as it promoted me to mention things I may have forgotten.

I noticed, I think he had a mini dictaphone on the desk, which was fine by me. I didn't ask to record the interview, but made notes as soon as I was back in the car.

Anyway he then said he wasn't going to ask me to walk or get out of my chair, he just asked me to squeeze his hands, push against them and pull them which I can do no problem. He asked me to lift my good leg which I did slightly, and then he asked me to lift my bad one. I told him I couldn't due to the pain.

He then asked me more questions about home such as do I have any pets, I said no. He asked if I had a hobby, I said browsing the internet. I had asked him to remove my socks and shoes to show him my leg and foot during the assessment, and before I went he asked if he could take care if me and put my socks and shoes back on to which I said yes. He did that for me and then took copies of my extra medical information, before I left.

Overall he was lovely, but I haven't let myself be lured into a false sense of security with that!

So this was last Friday and now we are on Monday. I took some advice that I had seen on this website and called atos to see if they had my report yet so I could get a copy. I figured I would chase them from the get go rather than waiting 5 weeks before I bother them. I called three times, each time being to told that their systems were down and to call back tomorrow. I kept trying and finally got through to someone who's computer worked. This lunchtime they said my report was with them, and it was undergoing quality checks. She said she could see someone had been clicking in and out of it so it had obviously been worked on. I then asked for a copy of the report, and was told I would have to ask DWP for this. I asked when it would be sent it them and she said in the next 4 weeks usually.

So cheeky little me, called DWP at 5:50pm today. Before I gave her my details I explained why I was calling, and said I understand they are trying their best and that there are delays, so if they don't have it, I understand .... she said she doesn't think they will have any information yet as atos can take weeks to get it to them. She took my NIÑO and gasped.... Oh goodness... You're report is here. I was as shocked as she was! She said she will post me a copy, and said that it is with a decision maker, and I will have a decision in 2-3 weeks from what she can see !!

My question is..... What on this green earth is going on here?! Why is it that they are now being so quick?! Does this mean they have rejected me, so are rocket launching it to the end of the process ?! I really do have my fingers crossed for a good decision, but wish they would be this quick with all you guys too!

I wonder if, they have come up with some silly priority groups, and deal with some before others. My condition is very rare indeed but does mean I am a wheelchair user. I wonder if, because they are awful from what I can dee at dealing with mental health, they put wheelchair users in a higher priority as they think they should be easier to deal with?

I don't know but would love to hear from you all as to your thoughts on my case.

Good luck to all of you, and I will keep you updated with my case too.

Much love, PrincessWheels xxx

Thank you so much for posting your experience on this forum.WOW that is extremely fast, not heard anyone yet who have got the report from ATOS/Capita to DWP within 1 working day. Well done you must be one of the lucky ones, if not THE lucky one. Just hope and pray you are very lucky with your award too. This will surely help someone who is so nervous as I am. Although I have already had my assessment on 12th February. My experience sounds very much like yours. Arrived late, difficult to find the place, no wheelchair access, mine was in Halifax. Same sort of questions and examination. My assessor sound very understandable and reassuring and said I don't have to do the physical examination as she could see I was in pain. I insisted that she go ahead and if it gets too much, I will tell her. She agreed and did as much as I could before I was exhausted. Mine lasted about 30 minutes. She said she would sent the report to ATOS QC and should hear in 4-6 weeks. Not rang ATOS or DWP but after reading your story, I might try too, see if so lucky too.

Please keep us posted,
    Last edited by mariaz; 10-03-14 at 21:39.

Red face hello

I am new to this forum and come from BFD I applied back in September and then had a couple of meetings with Dial in BFD they helped me with all the paperwork as I hadn't got a clue and I have not heard a thing since January as I am new to all this don't know if I should ring and pester them and risk being put at the bottom of the pile or just to let it take its course.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessWheels View Post
    A big hello to everyone here. I have been browsing this forum for the past few weeks whilst going through my pip process and have taken an awful lot from it, so Thank You to all of you.

I applied for PiP in September (they received my application on the 20th September). The DWP referred my case to Atos very quickly, but things ground to a halt there, not surprisingly judging by other peoples experiences.

By December I hadn't heard a thing, so I wrote a complaint by e-mail and informed my local MP. Within a week, I had an appointment date of 7th March in Bradford which is about an hour away. This was fine, as my boyfriend drove me there. The place was a nightmare to find, so I was about 10 mins late through getting stressed and angry about the whole set up and dreadful excuse for a map that they gave us with my appointment letter.

We found the building, parked nearby, got me in my wheelchair and surprise surprise, no wheelchair access in to the building. Luckily I was with my boyfriend who is used to lifting me up in the thing so we got up the step okay, but I was disappointed that they obviously hadn't thought if the most standard things. Assessments for disabled people, a lot of whom are wheelchair bound most if the time---- how hard is it to think of a ramp?! However, I thought about the poor people who had had their assessments cancelled countless times, and went in with an appreciative view of the matter.

The lady in reception checked me In and gave me a claim form for petrol. She said it was ok that I was late, and that they were running a but behind too. I was the first appointment at 8:30am. We sat and chatted a while then my assessor came to meet me. I shook his hand, he asked me how I had got there and then I followed him to the room. It was a tiny room, and he had to rearrange bits of furniture to allow space for me. There was his desk, some chairs and a hospital sort of bed. He asked me the sort of questions you would expect and asked me to talk him through a normal day for me. He typed as I spoke, and asked questions of his own in between which was good as it promoted me to mention things I may have forgotten.

I noticed, I think he had a mini dictaphone on the desk, which was fine by me. I didn't ask to record the interview, but made notes as soon as I was back in the car.

Anyway he then said he wasn't going to ask me to walk or get out of my chair, he just asked me to squeeze his hands, push against them and pull them which I can do no problem. He asked me to lift my good leg which I did slightly, and then he asked me to lift my bad one. I told him I couldn't due to the pain.

He then asked me more questions about home such as do I have any pets, I said no. He asked if I had a hobby, I said browsing the internet. I had asked him to remove my socks and shoes to show him my leg and foot during the assessment, and before I went he asked if he could take care if me and put my socks and shoes back on to which I said yes. He did that for me and then took copies of my extra medical information, before I left.

Overall he was lovely, but I haven't let myself be lured into a false sense of security with that!

So this was last Friday and now we are on Monday. I took some advice that I had seen on this website and called atos to see if they had my report yet so I could get a copy. I figured I would chase them from the get go rather than waiting 5 weeks before I bother them. I called three times, each time being to told that their systems were down and to call back tomorrow. I kept trying and finally got through to someone who's computer worked. This lunchtime they said my report was with them, and it was undergoing quality checks. She said she could see someone had been clicking in and out of it so it had obviously been worked on. I then asked for a copy of the report, and was told I would have to ask DWP for this. I asked when it would be sent it them and she said in the next 4 weeks usually.

So cheeky little me, called DWP at 5:50pm today. Before I gave her my details I explained why I was calling, and said I understand they are trying their best and that there are delays, so if they don't have it, I understand .... she said she doesn't think they will have any information yet as atos can take weeks to get it to them. She took my NIÑO and gasped.... Oh goodness... You're report is here. I was as shocked as she was! She said she will post me a copy, and said that it is with a decision maker, and I will have a decision in 2-3 weeks from what she can see !!

My question is..... What on this green earth is going on here?! Why is it that they are now being so quick?! Does this mean they have rejected me, so are rocket launching it to the end of the process ?! I really do have my fingers crossed for a good decision, but wish they would be this quick with all you guys too!

I wonder if, they have come up with some silly priority groups, and deal with some before others. My condition is very rare indeed but does mean I am a wheelchair user. I wonder if, because they are awful from what I can dee at dealing with mental health, they put wheelchair users in a higher priority as they think they should be easier to deal with?

I don't know but would love to hear from you all as to your thoughts on my case.

Good luck to all of you, and I will keep you updated with my case too.

Much love, PrincessWheels xxx
    Which assessment centre did you go to in Bradford?

pip

Quote Originally Posted by rich-ward View Post
    Which assessment centre did you go to in Bradford?
    It was anne gate, really hard to find!

Quote Originally Posted by campervanannie View Post
    I am new to this forum and come from BFD I applied back in September and then had a couple of meetings with Dial in BFD they helped me with all the paperwork as I hadn't got a clue and I have not heard a thing since January as I am new to all this don't know if I should ring and pester them and risk being put at the bottom of the pile or just to let it take its course.
    Who are dial? Sorry I don't know. I always pester in a friendly way and they tend to cooperate xx

OMG - what is happening? Are ATOS actually improving the timelines?
    After reading PrincessWheels post, I thought I'd also ring up atos and see if my report has been sent to DWP as it's only been 4 weeks since my assessment. To my amaze, atos sent the report on 26th Feb, just under 2 weeks of my assessment.
    I didn't for a minute believe them, so I rand DWP and they say yes they have the report. A decision will be made within a couple of weeks. Will keep you posted.

Floweranglex - if you are reading this, then you should see if your report has been sent to DWP.

Quote Originally Posted by mariaz View Post
    OMG - what is happening? Are ATOS actually improving the timelines?
    After reading PrincessWheels post, I thought I'd also ring up atos and see if my report has been sent to DWP as it's only been 4 weeks since my assessment. To my amaze, atos sent the report on 26th Feb, just under 2 weeks of my assessment.
    I didn't for a minute believe them, so I rand DWP and they say yes they have the report. A decision will be made within a couple of weeks. Will keep you posted.

Floweranglex - if you are reading this, then you should see if your report has been sent to DWP.

Mariaz I am so glad my post urged you to call them. I am just concerned as to my answers... on my application I put that I could walk 40m.. but it was 6 months between that and my assesment, and I explained at my assesment that I am now confined to a wheelchair and can only walk about 15m and gave them a letter to support this also explaining that it will only deteriorate as my life goes on. So I hope they take note of that and don't just see it as a discrepancy!

Much love and I have hope in my heart for you <3

My friend applied last July, had the interview with Atos in December and the report is now with the DWP who reckon he should have a decision in about 2 weeks time.

When he rang yesterday they told him not to worry, the longer it takes the more money he'll get in back payment!.

PrincessWheels - I think they will only base the decision on how your condition was when you first applied for PIP over 6 months ago. I have also heard they based the decision soley on the assessor report, so not really sure how they will come to a decision. But i do hope whatever the decision is, it's the rigt one. If they have based it on 40m, then a change of circ can be initiated but this may initiate another assessment. Good luck