Thread: Volvo V40 Cross Country 'Lux' Powershift - Initial Impressions...

Volvo V40 Cross Country 'Lux' Powershift - Initial Impressions...

I picked up my new Motability Car yesterday, so I thought I would post my initial impressions of it. I will do a fuller review once I have had it for a few weeks.

Car – Volvo V40 Cross Country Lux Powershift

Colour – Caspian Blue Metallic

Advance Payment – Nil

Ordered 13th December 2013

Delivered 5th March 2014

The car was actually ready on Monday 3rd March but I was away on a course with work until yesterday. Hence I collected it at 3.00pm yesterday. The dealer (the second Volvo dealership I visited as the first were terrible) had kept me fully informed all through the pre-delivery stage.

I ordered the Cross Country (4x4) variant as I live in a very rural area and have an early morning drive into work well before the gritters have turned out. I also need an automatic and having previously had a Ford Focus Powershift on the scheme I know just how good the Powershift (DSG) gearbox is. I went for the Lux trim level as it was cracking value for money. I also specced a few optional extras as the dealer was willing to give a 25% discount on the extras/accessories.

Anyway down to the nitty gritty. Although only a 115ps D2 turbo diesel, it seems very sprightly in acceleration and the turbo kicks in both early and smoothly. The Powershift gearbox gives almost seemless changes both up and down, both in full auto mode and also in manual mode.

The seats with lumbar supports are very firm, some may say they are quite hard, but they are the sort that, after a long drive, you can get out and not believe you have traveled a few hundred miles. I opted for the winter pack which makes the seats heated, a welcome thing on cold mornings. Plus it also has the heated front windscreen which saves scraping away on frosty mornings.

Just one thing though, the car is relatively low slung particularly for a 4x4, so if you need a high seating position this may not be the car for you.

I am still trying to fathom out all the controls on the dash – it lights up like the star ship enterprise – however the DAB stereo gives a fantastic sound, crystal clear. Instead of having CD’s etc in the car, I have made up a USB memory stick with music on which again sounds great.

On the road the engine is surprisingly quiet for a diesel. I haven't yet fully explored the grip levels of the 4x4 system as yet, but it does feel sure footed and clung on well to the bends I had to negotiate on my way home.

The engine is still very ‘tight’ so any mpg returns at this stage are rather pointless but I am expecting decent figures once it is run in.

I could go on and on, but will do that in the full review I will write in a few weeks, once I have more experience of the car. I will try to answer any questions though for others thinking of getting this car.

Pete

Hi Pete, I take it you are on War Pensioners motability seeing you got nil AP?

Waiting to pick mine up next week, not heard from my dealer yet but filled in forms to do with the tax and got my reg no.
    I'm not sure what you mean about grip levels of the 4x4, as I understood the only difference with the CC was it was a bit higher than the normal V40.
    I also ordered the Lux with the winter pack and rear park assist.

Looking forward to driving mine after your initial report.

Nice looking car.

Is it 4 wheel drive? I didn't realise this.

No it's not a 4 wheel drive, that's what I didn't understand about Pete's description.

I believe only the top spec T5 Petrol 254bhp model comes with 4-wheel drive.
    The remaining models are all front-wheel drive.

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/all-cars...ical-spec.aspx
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

An interesting and detailed report, Pete. I will be interested how the economy pans out once the car engine has settled down. The good thing with Volvo's is their exclusivity. I have a BMW which are ten a penny on the roads.

Heard from my dealer this afternoon that my car is ready for picking up on Tuesday, so Pete and I can compare notes