Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Hubbys PIP Award, Some information that may help others not yet assessed

Quote Originally Posted by flowerangelx View Post
    I wish I could have advised you before your husbands assessment.

I put on my form that I have not used public transport since 2002. I kept repeating that. I explained what happens just at the thought of going out, nevermind using public transport. I also made it clear that I do not leave the house alone - not even to take rubbish out to the bin, or answer the door. I did the same for both ESA and PIP. I scored 15 points for ESA on that descriptor alone. I am unsure of my score for PIP as of yet. But I made *sure* that my PIP assessor did put that down.

Like all things, I can not state how important evidence to back up your claim is. A lot of people say this does not matter but it actually does. I even took in letters from when I was forced to go to Ingeus stating that I may bring somebody with me and they will pay for taxis there and back!
    Hi flowerangel. Whereby you said you do not use public transport at all and you have not since 2002, would you say if you had have done, but only with someone with you, or for no more than 50% of the time that you did have to travel, they would have accepted that you could not for the mobility part?

What is public transport in regards to PIP? Is it only buses, coaches, taxis? Does it mean anything whereby someone you know is not transporting you? Do you have to state you catorgorically CANNOT use buses?

I thought PIP was more about over 50% of the time? Its so confusing?

Quote Originally Posted by dukedog View Post
    According to DWP guidance: ‘A person should only be considered able to follow an unfamiliar journey if they are capable of using public transport (bus or train)’.
    Could someone tell me where it says this. I made this point and am going to appeal my mobility, however, the PIP guidelines were updated in May, and this bit seems to have disappeared!!
    Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by serendipity2706 View Post
    Could someone tell me where it says this. I made this point and am going to appeal my mobility, however, the PIP guidelines were updated in May, and this bit seems to have disappeared!!
    Many thanks
    It is in the PIP Assessment Guide on page 108, which has not changed since June 2013. As I've explained recently (click), this is guidance which is not a definitive interpretation of the law, but is likely to be followed in many cases.

The underlying PIP Regulations have not, to my knowledge, been amended since April 2013, and Schedule 1, which defines the activities, descriptors and points, has not changed since originally becoming law in February 2013.
    Last edited by Flymo; 19-05-14 at 17:41. Reason: Italicise "PIP Assessment Guide"

UPDATE! Have received the revised decision and Hubby has been awarded Standard Mobility back dated to the original claim Oct 2013, Back pay went in yesterday! They changed the descriptor to e) and awarded him 10 points. The decision maker also put at the end of his reasoning statement...'' We have awarded the benefit for a period of 3 years but will arrange to review your award in 2 years time to ensure entitlement is still appropriate. I have reviewed the length of the award and in line with PIP guidance I have changed the award end date to be 3 years from the date The assessment took place''

That's a great result, and a nice chunk of back money as well (over £600 if my mental reckoning is correct).

Standard rate Mobility is a relatively low amount of money each week, but every bit helps. I realise, too, that it's partly about the recognition of the reality of your husband's life and the vindication of your belief that your husband had been denied something he was rightly entitled to.

Thanks Flymo, that's correct, The money is nice but it was always more about recognising Hubbys difficulties. The back dated was £666.06 So that has come in very handy and will allow us to at last clear our Mortgage arrears which we were having to pay £250 per month towards. Just waiting now for Hubby to be reassessed By a consultant Psych As hubby has been having lots of different therapy and changes of medication without improvement and They now are looking more towards Bipolar as the problem or at least co-morbid with the personality disorder. Hopefully we will eventually get to the bottom of all His difficulties. Thanks for all Your imput it is most appreciated! x

Whilst it is a relatively small amount of money, it neatly filled a hole! When added to the precious recognition of your husband's problems, I'm sure it was a happy day in your house today.

It is sometimes costly to stick by those you love, as I know from my own long term relationship. It's hard to date things precisely, as we started out as friends and gradually recognised after a few years that what we had was not just a friendship. We've been friends for over ten years and an "item" for something like seven years. As my girlfriend and I are both ill and disabled, this has meant we have had to keep it as a long distance relationship for now - I last saw her 14 months ago, sadly. We hope one day to find a way to be together.

The power of love is that my girlfriend and I both find we get more out of the relationship than we feel we put in. We have both lived through the pain of seeing the other suffer in circumstances where you feel powerless to help, but have learnt that often the "abiding with" is the most important thing. You cannot shield those you love from the troubles of this world, including ill health, but you can be there so that they don't face these troubles alone. On numerous occasions, my girlfriend has sat up half the night at the other end of the phone when I've called her at 'stupid o'clock' after a late night health crisis (my pain, fatigue and muscle problems do have a habit of kicking off late at night). I am a very lucky person indeed.

Your devotion to your husband inspires me in my living and loving.

When life throws us big problems, any sort of victory is very welcome, as is the recognition that a battle is over. A positive outcome is the proverbial icing on the cake - the validation and the money to pay the mortgage arrears are a further boost.

I send my best wishes to you both for your ongoing journey, hoping that the psychiatrist and mental health team will gain better understanding of your husband's problems in time. Knowing someone who was diagnosed with bipolar unusually late in life (in his fifties), I know that it can be quite tricky to diagnose.

Thanks Flymo! Sometimes it is very isolating As people do not really understand mental illness. Today was a day that involved Hubby being Happy, then More than Happy then Manic then sobbing uncontrollably then scratching all over as He felt insects all over Him, culminating in Him having a continual urge and continuous thoughts about going out to the main road holding a Slow sign up! Try explaining that to friends! I have only now at 3am got him calm and settled enough after extra meds to go to sleep, I am now too hyper to sleep Myself which is why I am here! But inside all this turmoil and craziness is still the person I married, and I am hoping to eventually get Him back full time! I hope you to keep that special bond with Your girlfriend, distance means nothing, It is the emotional connection and support that matters. Good Night ( or rather Morning! )