Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Offered a Bungalow!!!!

We picked up the keys yesterday so it is now officially ours. The moving date is set for 29th March, van booked etc.
    Now I have to make a start on sorting through and packing. Other half working next week, so will have to do as much as I can, Mum in law is coming up to help on a couple of days.
    Have already started making phone calls to change address etc. Written to DWP today to inform them of change of address and asked them to confirm in writing that they have the new details. I forgot how many people you have to contact when you move, lol.
    On a different note, does anyone use callcom/telecare system? It has been mentioned and I can get it at a reasonable weekly payment so I am wondering if I should have it.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I carry my mobile phone around with me all of the time with priority numbers listed in case I need the help.

I also carry my mobile around with me beau.
    I am just thinking that I have had falls in the past, thankfully my other half has been around. If I was to have a fall when he was not there, I would be able to use the pendant to get help. I am going to have a good, long think about it and weigh up the cost against the extra feeling of safety/security.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

My daughter uses the Telecare system.

She wears a neck pendant whilst in alone. and if she falls will press it.

The fall detectors are also a pretty good idea as if you fall when alone and knock yourself out they register the fall and send out a signal for help.

Daughter also uses a bed sensor in case she gets out of bed during the night and falls, this sends out a signal that a person is out of bed for over the time it is set for. As you have a partner this may not be needed.

You will be able to talk to someone via the telecare box should you need assistance.

As an example I will use this facility on Sunday.

My daughter is staying with us overnight so I will press the green button on the telecare box to speak to assistant, tell them she won't be home that night but has a cat who may lie on the bed during the night then get off for over th time limit set thus setting off the alarm.

This is so they won't send out assistance to her.

I will tell them when daughter will return.

They will note down the information.

It's a good system and gives us all peace of mind.
    Last edited by sea queen; 15-03-14 at 10:53.
    Sea Queen

Thanks for the info sea queen.
    It was the lady at the LHA who suggested it as my other half works nights every other week. If I am poorly, I can ring his Mum, who would come round, (one of the many bonuses of the move - we are much nearer the family). So, I would not need assistance for that sort of thing, its just the worry about falls. So, I am thinking it would be a good idea. Hopefully, the situation would not arise when I am on my own, but if it did, I would be happier knowing something could be done to help me.

The telecare system is really good thing to have. We have used it when my husband had a turn and I had to get an ambulance. I pulled the emergency cord, spoke to telecare while I attended to my husband and they called an ambulance which left me to get on with hands on care until they arrived. It is also connected to the smoke detectors, so in the event of them going off they will ask if you need fire brigade. It's great peace of mind when I nip out for a bit of shopping, knowing that help can be at hand very quickly for the other half.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go for it, as you say, it is peace of mind. If anything happens, I know there is someone who can get help to me quickly if I need it.

It's something that we found was installed in the bungalow when we moved in but couldn't get anyone to turn it off!, local councils care line say it's not theirs and the landlord doesn't seem to know who runs it either!. Social Care Direct came to see about the shower area and they didn't know who was responsible for it either!.

I've fell against the large button which is on the wall in the passage way as I've gone to the loo during the night and when someone answered have asked them to turn it off several times over the last year but it's still active, I've asked them who they are and they just say I'll make a note and get it turned off, maybe it's some secret society!. At the moment I've glued a jam jar lid over the button to stop it being activated.

However, as my Autistic sons sleeping pattern has changed again (6am - 11am or 5pm) I'm thinking it may be a good idea to re-fit the pull cords in each room and remove the lid!, if I seriously hurt myself when I fall (and I do this 3-4 times a week) I may not be able to rely on him to help me.