Thread: HRM Do I need to inform insurance company

HRM Do I need to inform insurance company

Hi all, Recently been awarded HRM and insurance and road tax are now due. Just renewed my insurance and taking documents to tax car. Was I supposed to tell insurance company about any illness. I have never been advised not to drive by doctor. I now get HRM because chronic asthma has worsened. Thank you

The most important thing is that you must inform DVLA of anything that might impair your ability to drive. If your doctor is content that your ability to drive is not impaired by your asthma, I would ask him for a "to whom it may concern" letter to confirm that (which you can file away in case you ever need proof) and record his opinion in your medical notes.

Insurance companies are not usually concerned so long as DVLA are aware of anything that might impair your ability to drive. However, to be safe, I would inform your insurance company in writing that you have asthma but have not been told by your doctor that your ability to drive is impaired.

Ok Flymo thanks. Does a persons insurance normally go up, when they have been awarded HRM.

Thanks flymo, I tried posting but it didn`t come up. Does insurance normally go up when a person gets HRM. I would be able to get a cover note ok from gp, I would imagine. It`s not my driving that`s affected , it`s walking.

I have a neuromuscular condition that is declared to DVLA. My consultant neurologist confirmed that it did not impair my ability to drive, and DVLA accepted this after several months delay. DVLA are often very slow dealing with medical declarations.

I retained my "until 70" licence with the only restriction being the 01 code requiring eyesight correction (I've worn glasses for short sight since the age of 6).

I used to have DLA higher rate Mobility and now have PIP enhanced rate Mobility (assessed walking ability of 1-20m).

I've never had a loading applied to my car insurance. It would be discriminatory for an insurer to load your premium on the grounds of disability unless they can show there are additional risks because of the disability. If a condition has no effect on your ability to drive, there is no objective justification for a premium loading.

Receiving DLA HRM does not require you to tell your car insurance company about it, as Flymo states it would be discriminatory if they thought of you to be a higher risk just because you have a disability.

What you could do is look at disability friendly insurers such as Fish insurance, they will be able to provide you with adequate extras in case of an accident, like an automatic courtesy car etc. They are very competitive too.

Also, as it appears you haven't been made aware, you can apply to have your vehicle reclassified as 'disabled' instead of the current 'PLG' (Private and Light Goods), this would give you "free" VED (road tax) for your vehicle - you can do this at a Post Office (which supply tax discs).

This website explains more, plus you can now apply for a Blue Badge too http://www.disabledmotoring.org/moto...-tax-exemption
    Last edited by Paul; 26-02-14 at 13:37.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

You only have to notify the DVLA if you have a notifiable condition (see here for list http://www.disabledmotoring.org/down...Conditions.pdf).

Again this website goes into more detal... http://www.disabledmotoring.org/moto...es-and-driving
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

As Paul said, you don't need to pay road tax if your car is declassed as 'disabled' check out status here.
    https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk

As you are in receipt of HRM on DLA you should find much f a problem getting a Blue Badge.

I've been using Fish Insurance for over a year and I'm extremely impressed with their services having experienced a 'not my fault' car accident. You won't find them on web comparison sites but they tailer the cover to meet disabled drivers down to a tee!

Both my car and wheelchair insurance is with Fish Insurance.

As Lighttouch says, DLA higher rate Mobility comes with a right to a Blue Badge without further assessment. If you don't already have a Blue Badge, the easiest way is to apply online: