Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NI credits

Jamesyharrow

NI credits

Hi
    Can anyone tell me if I get turned down after assessment phase or on WRAG for a year then no more payments. Do I still get NI credits or does that stop immediately?

If you aren't entitled to any cash benefits you have the right to claim NI Contributions if you finish the claim as it's an underlying right to receive them.

But if you choose to close your case file/application you will NOT be credited with NI Contributions

Jamesyharrow
    So at the end of a year on ESA I can claim NI contributions?

How would I go about it?

Jamesyharrow

Lighttouch

Thanks for reply to NI credits I've only just been able to reply back. When you get a min could you take a look.

Many thanks

You don't claim anything. NI credits appear on your contribution record if you are entitled to them.

ni credits only go towards your pension.

Jamesyharrow
    How will I know if I'm entitled to them?

With respect, that's an academic question at this stage. From what you've said previously, you should be entitled to Contributions Based ESA, so that covers you for a year (open-ended if you are placed in the Support Group).

Contributions Based ESA will automatically move to the nil rate after 52 weeks unless you are in the Support Group. NI credits will continue to accrue whilst you are on the nil rate, as they do whilst you are on ESA payments. You will be invited to undergo financial assessment for Income Related ESA, but there's no point if your circumstances have not changed as your partner's savings are over the upper limit for Income Related ESA.

Credits based on inability to work for medical reasons are subject to the same assessment processes as ESA, so there's no advantage in trying to pursue a credits only claim at this stage.

You've already made an ESA claim. Try to stick with it for now, leaving the ESA50 and assessment as future problems.

Jamesyharrow
    Thanks for reply flymo. So you mean I may not get credits if I fail an assessment after a year? Seems harsh. The whole ESA thing seems to have changed since was last on it. I don't think it ended after a year so didn't need to worry about NI credits after a year.
    As I've said before I'm too anxious to find full time work but need something like voluntary work just to do a few hours a week.
    Just don't know what to do. I'm anxious about filling in form and assessment as I'm severely anxious and depressed.
    Any tips and answers would be great

Jamesyharrow

Flymo

Thanks for answering NI credits question I have replied with one last question on it plus one new thread about getting through assessment and also what grounds people get into a support group. If you could reply to both threads when you can id be grateful.
    As a severe sufferer of anxiety and depression your help is most needed and welcome